Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Krishna The Supreme Godhead

Krishna The Supreme Godhead

Namaste,

I just recently purchased this book http://www.amazon.com/Krsna-Personal...9494515&sr=8-1

I am interested at the review that was given. It seems to be pretty good. I hope it has some great insights in it.

With Love
    -Juan
    OM

Re: Krishna The Supreme Godhead

hari o
    ~~~~~

Namasté

aham ātmā guḍākeśa
    I am the SELF guḍākeśa¹ … Kṛṣṇa , the Bhāgavad gītā chapt 10, 20th verse.

praṇām

1. guḍākeśa - thick haired i.e. Arjuna
    guḍā गुड - is a ball or globe ~ the head. It also means sugar which forms itself into lumps , dry sugar , treacle , molasses , first thickening of the juice of the sugar-cane by boiling - hence we get 'thickness'.
    keśa केश- is the mane of a horse or lion; also a lock of hair on the crown of the head.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

Thank you yajvan. Have you heard of the author of the book? It seems good its over 800 pages. Suppose to answer some deep questions about God. To be honest I dont know that much about Krishna other then him teaching the Bhagavad Gita. Which I absolutely love the Bhagavad Gita and its refferences to Kriya yoga. I am listening to audio CD's explaining the Bhagavad Gita based on the teachings of Sri Yogananda my guru

-juan

Namaste,

Also do you know if Sri Yogananda was a Vaishnava?

What is main differences in Vaishnava and Shaivite?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namasté juan

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

Thank you yajvan. Have you heard of the author of the book? It seems good its over 800 pages. Suppose to answer some deep questions about God. To be honest I dont know that much about Krishna other then him teaching the Bhagavad Gita. Which I absolutely love the Bhagavad Gita and its refferences to Kriya yoga. I am listening to audio CD's explaining the Bhagavad Gita based on the teachings of Sri Yogananda my guru
    -juan
    Yes, I have heard of this author (svāmī prabhupāda). He was the guru of one of my jyotiṣ teachers and stayed with him for some time.
    I have read his works ( along with others). This always brings a balance to the views of the writer and what they offer when you can compare and contrast one view or insight vs. anothers view.

you mention
    What is main differences in Vaishnava and Shaivite?
    Much can be said about this and on HDF this tends to lead to the discussion (vāda) or even wrangling (jalpa) over who is Supreme (anuttara -अनुत्तर - best, excellent, chief ) . I'd much rather pursue what is common to both (samatā समता - sameness) and that is Brahman¹ , fullness and the expansiveness of Being. That is, Viṣṇu and Śiva are expressions of this Supreme Brahman.

So where are the differences? It is how one worships (adores) this Supreme as bhagavān¹ . Many here on HDF will assist you and we have many a post regarding this matter. I am happy that you are interested in this , it will yield much good.

praṇām

words
    • brahman ब्रह्मन् - from the root bRh ( some write bRMh)- to grow great or strong , increase to expand, greater then the greatest. This is the classical definition of Brahman, yet Brahman is considered beyond all conceptualization
    • bhagavān भगवान् - composed of bhaga + vān
      • bhaga भग-is " dispenser " , gracious lord ; We also know this bhaga as good fortune , happiness , welfare , prosperity
      • vān - if we look at vā, ( its 2nd definition) it is to procure or bestow anything. This fits well as the gracious Lord who bestows.
      • If we look at van वन् - this too can apply nicely as it means become master of , possess . Hence the gracious Lord is the master of and possor of. Yet what does He possess ? Bhaga - good fortune, welfare, prosperity. What else does He possess? That of bhā to shine forth; to be splendid, beautiful ; light or a beam of light , lustre , splendour ; It is He, bhagavān that possesses and /or is made of light and splendor, who is the bestower of fortune, and prosperity.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Yajvan. Thank you very much. Please excuse me I wasnt trying to draw out differences to get sectarian I am just curious. And since I believe Yogananda was a Vaishnite I am interested in it as I will soon start the self realization fellowship courses (waiting for the first package with basic meditation instruction).

With love
    -juan
    Last edited by satay; 05 August 2009 at 11:07 PM.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namasté juan

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Yajvan. Thank you very much. Please excuse me I wasnt trying to draw out differences to get sectarian I am just curious. And since I believe Yogananda was a Vaishnite I am interested in it as I will soon start the self realization fellowship courses (waiting for the first package with basic meditation instruction).
    With love -juan
    I know your intentions are only the best - as it comes out in your words. I know your questions are sincere and being curious is a good 'itch' to have.

I do not recall what school Paramahaṃsa Yogānaṃda chose to follow.

praṇām
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

namaste,

So i got the book and starting to read it. It is a bit difficult for me to comprehend because it has a lot of myth in it. A lot of words are not translated which I dont understand. I will keep reading though and review it

Namaste SS.

If the title 'Supreme Personality of Godhead' means 'parabrahman', then it's the beauty of Hinduism that allows practically every major God to be treated this way. Thus we have the Shaivites with Shiva as Supreme, VaishNavities with VishNu, Iskconites with KrishNa, GANapatyas with Ganesha, KaumAras with Muruga and ShaktAs with Shakti.

According to the authority of the Smriti (PurANas), SrI KrishNa is an avatar of MahAVishNu although the Iskconites treat it the other way, not unlike some Christians for whom Jesus as the only God (although he was born as a man). It's the Bhagavad GitA of SrI KrishNa that verily makes him a ParaBrahman and rightly so, along with that entitlement for every other major God. As Yajvan has pointed out, it would only be needless wrangle to deny the state of ParamAtman to any major Hindu God.
    रतà¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤•à¤°à¤§à¥Œà¤¤à¤ªà¤¦à¤¾à¤‚ हिमालयकिरीटिनीमॠ।
    बà¥à¤°à¤¹à¥à¤®à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤°à¥à¤·à¤¿à¤°à¤°à¤¤à¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤¢à¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ वनà¥à¤¦à¥‡ भारतमातरमॠ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste,

If the title 'Supreme Personality of Godhead' means 'parabrahman', then it's the beauty of Hinduism that allows practically every major God to be treated this way. Thus we have the Shaivites with Shiva as Supreme, VaishNavities with VishNu, Iskconites with KrishNa, GANapatyas with Ganesha, KaumAras with Muruga and ShaktAs with Shakti.
    This is amazing so its basically all these deities are the Supreme Godhead. Just viewed in different aspects so it seems. In the end Moksha is all the same no matter which deity you devote yourself to.

According to the authority of the Smriti (PurANas), SrI KrishNa is an avatar of MahAVishNu although the Iskconites treat it the other way, not unlike some Christians for whom Jesus as the only God (although he was born as a man). It's the Bhagavad GitA of SrI KrishNa that verily makes him a ParaBrahman and rightly so, along with that entitlement for every other major God. As Yajvan has pointed out, it would only be needless wrangle to deny the state of ParamAtman to any major Hindu God.
    I sort of understand Parabrahman but could you give me a simple definition of it? I would much appreciate it.

OM
    -juan

Thread Information