Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Krishna The Supreme Godhead

Re: Krishna The Supreme Godhead

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste SS,

No, no, I didn't feel offended at all. It is a friendly discussion & your questions are also valid.

What I wanted to say that please don't be guided by Srila Prabhupad or others unless you read and understand the scriptures yourself in Samskrit i.e. in original form. I am not aware if Maharishi Vyas used such derogatory language for women. With due respect to Srila Prabhupad, I find most of his mis-translations of holy scriptures very very annoying. that includes even Bhagwad Gita. If you read Bhagwad Gita (mis)translated by him, it would leave you utterly confused.

In Hinduism, women always have enjoyed status which is never less than men. Let me tell you something :

i) Once you marry, you must do all religious activities with your wife, otherwise it is not considered "complete". The wife is not just a life partner in Hinduism, she is called "ardhaangini" ( half of your own being) & therefore, she must be involved in all religious ceremonies. I don't know whether it is done in all communities within Hindus but in our community, the bridegroom is supposed to touch the thumb of the right foot of the bride before starting the "Saptpadi" (taking seven rounds of the fire & taking vows) as she is considered to be Mother Goddess Laxmi at that moment.

When Mandan Misir was defeated in spiritual debate by Adi Guru Shankaracharya, his wife said that Shankara must first defeat her too before claiming victory as she was half of the being of Mandan Misir (being his wife).

ii) The position of mother is above father in Hinduism. When Rama was ordered to go to forest by his father, mother Kaushalya said that I being your (Lord Rama's) mother enjoy higher authority than your father & I order you not to go the forest. Then Lord Rama smiled & said, "Mother, it is not only the order of father but it is also the wishes of my (step) mother Kaikeyee & therefore, I must go.".

iii) The first step of bride into her in-laws's house is considered as those of Mother Goddess.

I don't deny that there have been some saints who have expressed their opinion which can be considered denigrading the position of women. However, there have been saints who have also worshipped their own wives as mother goddess (e.g. Ramkrishna Paramhans) !

Hindus believe in, "Naaryah yatra poojyante ramante tatra devataah" ===> The gods live where the women are worshipped !

OM

Namaste Devotee,

Thank you for sharing this and showing clarification. When I asked for comments on the verse I was hoping to hear something like this. THank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    Namaste SS.

This is in reference to post #17 dated 13 Aug 2009 wherein your first brought up the question if women (you zoomed out the word) are less intelligent and if sage VyAsa said so.

It seems that the origin of this controversy is the Srimad BhAgavatam verses 1.4.24 and 1.4.25 whose translations are as follows:

SB 1.4.24: Thus the great sage VyAsadeva, who is very kind to the ignorant masses, edited the Vedas so they might be assimilated by less intellectual men.

SB 1.4.25: Out of compassion, the great sage thought it wise that this would enable men to achieve the ultimate goal of life. Thus he compiled the great historical narration called the MahAbhArata for women, laborers and friends of the twice-born. (http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/4/en)

Please notice that verse 1.4.24 only speaks about the "less intellectual men" and verse 1.4.25 speaks about "women, laborers and friends of the twice-born" without assigning any qualifications to them.

Please also notice that it is in his 'PURPORT' where PrabhupAda gives his own interpretation of the translation, he speaks about women being of the "less intelligent classes", giving an impression that sage VyAsa also thought as he thought about women. This is what PrabhupAda says in the 'PURPORT':

"The less intelligent classes of men, namely women, shUdras and unqualified sons of the higher castes, are devoid of necessary qualifications to understand the purpose of the transcendental Vedas. For them the MahAbhArata was prepared. The purpose of the MahAbhArata is to administer the purpose of the Vedas, and therefore within this MahAbhArata the summary Veda of Bhagavad-gItA is placed. The less intelligent are more interested in stories than in philosophy, and therefore the philosophy of the Vedas in the form of the Bhagavad-gItA is spoken by the Lord SrI KrishNa. VyAsadeva and Lord KrishNa are both on the transcendental plane, and therefore they collaborated in doing good to the fallen souls of this age." (http://vedabase.net/sb/1/4/25/)

And PrabhupAda reiterates his opinion in his 'PURPORT' to SB 3.23.54. The actual translation of the verse is:

SB 3.23.54: Not knowing your transcendental situation, I have loved you while remaining attached to the objects of the senses. Nonetheless, let the affinity I have developed for you rid me of all fear. (http://srimadbhagavatam.com/3/23/en)

This is a statement of DevahUti, to which PrabhupAda adds his own interpretation thus:

DevahUti is lamenting her position. As a woman, she had to love someone. Somehow or other, she came to love Kardama Muni, but without knowing of his spiritual advancement. Kardama Muni could understand DevahUti's heart; generally all women desire material enjoyment. They are called less intelligent because they are mostly prone to material enjoyment. DevahUti laments because her husband had given her the best kind of material enjoyment, but she did not know that he was so advanced in spiritual realization. Her plea was that even though she did not know the glories of her great husband, because she had taken shelter of him she must be delivered from material entanglement. Association with a great personality is most important. (http://vedabase.net/sb/3/23/54/)

Does VyAsa say anything such as that he wrote his epic for the "less intelligent" class of people like "women and laborers"?

The Adi Parva introduces the epic MahAbhArata thus:
    (Kisari Mohan Ganguli's translation, downloadable as a single pdf file
    at: http://www.scribd.com/doc/14126117/M...-Mohan-Ganguli)

"The Purana, first promulgated by the great Rishi Dwaipayana, and which after having been heard both by the gods and the Brahmarshis was highly esteemed, being the most eminent narrative that exists, diversified both in diction and division, possessing subtile meanings logically combined, and gleaned from the Vedas, is a sacred work. Composed in elegant language, it includeth the subjects of other books. It is elucidated by other Shastras, and comprehendeth the sense of the four Vedas."

Sage VyAsa himself describes his 'composition' to Lord BrahmA thus:

"O divine Brahma, by me a poem hath been composed which is greatly respected. The mystery of the Veda, and what other subjects have been explained by me; the various rituals of the Upanishads with the Angas; the compilation of the Puranas and history formed by me and named after the three divisions of time, past, present, and future; the determination of the nature of decay, fear, disease, existence, and non-existence, a description of creeds and of the various modes of life; rule for the four castes, and the import of all the Puranas; an account of asceticism and of the duties of a religious student; the dimensions of the sun and moon, the planets, constellations, and stars, together with the duration of the four ages; the Rik, Sama and Yajur Vedas; also the Adhyatma; the sciences called Nyaya, Orthoephy and Treatment of diseases; charity and Pasupatadharma; birth celestial and human, for particular purposes; also a description of places of pilgrimage and other holy places of rivers, mountains,, forests, the ocean, of heavenly cities and the kalpas; the art of war; the different kinds of nations and languages: the nature of the manners of the people; and the all-pervading spirit;--all these have been represented. But, after all, no writer of this work is to be found on earth."

Understand that in ancient India, Sanskrit texts were 'composed' and 'passed on' under a great oral tradition. Sage VyAsa wants his 'poem' to be 'written down' which is why he says "no writer of this work is to be found on earth".

Lord BrahmA blesses him thus: "I esteem thee for thy knowledge of divine mysteries, before the whole body of celebrated Munis distinguished for the sanctity of their lives. I know thou hast revealed the divine word, even from its first utterance, in the language of truth. Thou hast called thy present work a poem, wherefore it shall be a poem. There shall be no poets whose works may equal the descriptions of this poem, even, as the three other modes called Asrama are ever unequal in merit to the domestic Asrama. Let Ganesa be thought of, O Muni, for the purpose of writing the poem."

The story of GaneshA imposing a condition that the sage should never let his pen pause even for a moment while he was writing, VyAsa agreeing to it, and then GaneshA writing down the composition in great speed, breaking one of his tusks to serve as a pen, and sage VyAsa matching his speed in composition, frequently giving the God tough verses to ponder on before he wrote them down is well known, even to the "less intelligent" people like us, let alone women and labourers!

And mind you, MahAbhArata was composed and written down in high Sanskrit. But for the translations in the modern days and the lectures in the ancient days, the populace would never have understood it.
    Namaste,

This is excellent Saidevo. This clarified a lot. So it seems he just mistranslates a lot judging by some post. I am not going to finish that book. I rather learn about the life of Krishna or someone else through the mind of a saint. Sanatana Dharma is indeed vast with different opinions. I do appreciate you taking the time to clarify this issue for me and others.
    -Juan

"The zooming of text WOMEN" .

something is amiss here.
    And the saint obviously will be Yogananda who writes a lot about "christ consciouness".

"THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
    "

http://www.yogananda-srf.org/scoc/sc...meset-des.html

Re: In Defence of Women's Sanatana Needs

One who is born of a brahmana father but does not act as a brahmana is called, in Vedic language, a brahma-bandhu, and is calculated to be on the level of shudras and women. Thus in the Bhagavatam we find that Mahabharata was specifically compiled by Vyasadeva for stri-shudra-brahma-bandhu.

Stri means women, Shudra means the lower class of civilized human society, and brahma-bandhu means persons who are born in the families of brahmanas but do not follow the rules and regulations carefully. All of these three classes are called less intelligent; they have no access to the study of the Vedas, which are specifically meant for persons who have acquired the brahminical qualifications.

This restriction is based not upon any sectarian distinction but upon qualification.

The Vedic literatures cannot be understood unless one has developed the brahminical qualifications.

It is regrettable, therefore, that persons who have no brahminical qualifications and have never been trained under a bona fide spiritual master nevertheless comment on Vedic literatures like the Srimad-Bhagavatam and other puranas, for such persons cannot deliver their real message.

I am only a brahma-bandhu, maybe even a servant of the servant of God, or maybe a servant of the most neglected souls,
    Bhaktajan

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post

One who is born of a brahmana father but does not act as a brahmana is called, in Vedic language, a brahma-bandhu

--- and brahma-bandhu means persons who are born in the families of brahmanas but do not follow the rules and regulations carefully. All of these three classes are called less intelligent; they have no access to the study of the Vedas,
    This restriction is based not upon any sectarian distinction but upon qualification.
    The Vedic literatures cannot be understood unless one has developed the brahminical qualifications.
    It is regrettable, therefore, that persons who have no brahminical qualifications and have never been trained under a bona fide spiritual master nevertheless comment on Vedic literatures like the Srimad-Bhagavatam and other puranas, for such persons cannot deliver their real message.

I am only a brahma-bandhu, maybe even a servant of the servant of God, or maybe a servant of the most neglected souls,
    Bhaktajan
    A classic case of contradiction,
    How are we to believe any thing you say on the subject matter if by your own admittance,you are a Brahma bandhu or lower, and therefore unable to deliver real message.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Please refer to Vajrasucika Upanisad which belongs to the Sama Veda and describes the true character of a brahmana and incidentally offers comments on the nature of supreme Reality. The upnishad is valuable in that it undermines caste distinctions based on birth.

Scott wrote:
    The term "demigod" is used to refer to human being who later became worshipped as Gods . . .
    Demigods—universal controllers and residents of the higher planets.

Deva—a demigod or godly person.

Scott wrote:
    "Srila Prabhupada . . . claims that Krishna alone is the Supreme Lord,
    and that Shiva, Ganesha, Durga and all the other Gods . . . are demigods. . . . that they are servants of Lord Krishna."
    The intellectual concept of "GOD" indicates & is revealed by Bhaktivedanta Swami's graciousness to you and others ---who accept the concept of "What is the definition of God".

God is: That person who is revealed as God Almighty as Krishna ---heretofore, unknown to the denizens of Bhumi-loka in this modern era.

Scott, what you have yet missed-out on is: The fact that 'Shiva, Ganesha, Durga and all the other Gods (devas) are cousins and related over the past 115 Trillion years since Sri Maha-pita-maha (dear great-grand-father) the adi-prajapati (the first progentitor) Lord Brahma (first born person/Engineer of the cosmos/father of Shiva/One-third part of the Hindu-Trinity incharge of Raja-Guna [active-mode of passion]) was born and began to poplulate the universe (the brahmanada).

Scott wrote:

Please provide Sastric proof for this. I want to see quotes from the Vedas or Upanishads - don't even bother quoting the Srimad-Bhagavatam at me as the Shiva Purana and Linga Purana are also Puranas but they provide a different view altogether. Shruti alone is admissible in a debate.
    The Demigods are each incharge of universal management ---and yes, they decend from a common family tree that starts with Lord Brahma. BTW, each Jiva-atma (individual Soul) entered the material Maha-Vishnu-Tattva by taking a birth their first birth in the material world, as a 'brahma' ---and then failed to achieve moksha. So here we all are searching out "Who is that supreme personality of Godhead that I must serve?".

The demigods are Gods to you and me and every body else ---who may seredipitously (luck), or, by causless mercy (unexpected benediction), or, by extreme tapasya (penence) chance upon being an unwiting or a willing tool in-the-service of such a Demigod ---at which point: Know that you are on the side of the angels and thus, doing a good job is to aide in God's work(s).

Scott wrote:
    Again, please provide proof from the Shruti for this.
    THE PROOF FROM SHRUTI FOR THE SMARTA:
    #######################################

#######################################
    eko vashee sarva-gah krishna eedyah/ eko ’pi san bahudhaa yo ’vabhaati. (Gopaala-taapanee Upanishad 1.3.21)

In the Atharva Veda (Gopala-tapanee Upanishad 1.24) it is said, yo brahmanam vidadhati poorvam yo vai vedams ca gapayati sma krishnah: “It was Krishna who in the beginning instructed Brahma in Vedic knowledge and who disseminated Vedic knowledge in the past.”

In the Atharva Veda (Gopala-tapanee Upanisad 1.24) it is similarly said, “He who existed before the creation of Brahma and who enlightened Brahma with Vedic knowledge is Lord Sree Krishna.”

Similarly, the Narayana Upanisad (1) states, atha purusho ha vai narayano ’kamayata prajah srijeyeti . . . : “Then the Supreme Person, Narayana, desired to create all living beings. Thus from Narayana, Brahma was born. Narayana created all the Prajapatis. Narayana created Indra. Narayana created the eight Vasus. Narayana created the eleven Rudras. Narayana created the twelve Adityas.” Since Narayana is a plenary manifestation of Lord Krishna, Narayana and Krishna are one and the same.

The Upanishad continues, narayanad brahma jayate, narayanad prajapatih prajayate, narayanad indro jayate, narayanad ashtau vasavo jayante, narayanad ekadasa rudra jayante, narayanad dvadasadityah: “From Narayana, Brahma is born, and from Narayana the patriarchs are also born. From Narayana, Indra is born, from Narayana the eight Vasus are born, from Narayana the eleven Rudras are born, from Narayana the twelve Adityas are born.” This Narayana is an expansion of Krishna.

Then it is said, eko vai narayana aseen na brahma na isano napo nagni-samau neme dyav-aprithivee na nakshatrani na sooryah: “In the beginning of the creation there was only the Supreme Personality Narayana. There was no Brahma, no Siva, no water, no fire, no moon, no stars in the sky, no sun.” (Maha Upanishad 1)

The Narayana Upanisad (4) also states, “Devakee’s son [Krishna] is the Supreme Lord.” The identity of Narayana with the supreme cause has also been accepted and confirmed by Sreepada Sankaracarya, even though Sankara does not belong to the Vaisnava, or personalist, cult.

In the Maha Upanishad it is also said that Lord Siva was born from the forehead of the Supreme Lord. Thus the Vedas say that it is the Supreme Lord, the creator of Brahma and Siva, who is to be worshiped.

The Atharva Veda (Maha Upanisad 1) also states, “Only Narayana existed in the beginning, when neither Brahma, nor Siva, nor fire, nor water, nor stars, nor sun, nor moon existed. The Lord does not remain alone but creates as He desires.” Krishna Himself states in the Moksa-dharma, “I created the Prajapatis and the Rudras. They do not have complete knowledge of Me because they are covered by My illusory energy.”

It is also stated in the Varaha Purana: “Narayana is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and from Him the four-headed Brahma was manifested, as well as Rudra, who later became omniscient.”

See: Svetasvatara Upanishad—one of the 108 Upanishads. It very clearly presents the Vaishnava point of view regarding the Lord and the living entity.
    Last edited by bhaktajan; 18 August 2009 at 11:00 AM.

Ganeshprashad: "A classic case of contradiction?????"
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ganeshprashad, your mind is divided and lost to the disscussion's topic:
    "In Defence of Women's Sanatana Needs"

You have said something about me and thus implicated how women are:

'. . . lower, and therefore unable to deliver real message.'

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Or were you trying to say something else?

BTW, my actually personal understanding of the term "Brahma-bandhu" is: "friend-of-the-brahmanas" (vs. a contemporarie or colleage)

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post

You have said something about me and thus implicated how women are:
    How did you work that out? did i say anything about women?

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Yes, Ganeshprashad-ji, you "did not say anything about women"

Yes, Ganeshprashad-ji, I digressed from the Thread theme.

The tangent topic was last spoken of by me in post 44 ---where I posted:
    RE: In Defence of Women's Sanatana Needs aka, the status of Women's propensity for spiritual pursuits.

"a brahma-bandhu, . . . is calculated to be on the level of shudras and women"
    and then I ended with, "I am only a brahma-bandhu, . . . Bhaktajan"

And then in post 45 you wrote:
    "How are we to believe any thing you [Bhaktajan] say on the subject matter if by your own admittance,you [Bhaktajan] are a Brahma bandhu or lower, and therefore unable to deliver real message[?]"

So by simple comparison: < Bhaktajan = brahma bandu//shudra = Women> This is how I worked out my comment, "You have said something about me and thus implicated how women are [too]"

Thread Information