Thread: Smartha Worships?

Smartha Worships?

Do Smarthas worship Krishna?

Re: Smartha Worships?

Namaste,

Thats a good question, I hope someone with more knowledge will answer. It is my understanding that the devotee chooses a personal deity out of Lord Ganapati, Surya, Vishnu, Siva, shakti or kumara.

Smarta means a follower of classical smriti, particularly the Dharma Sastras, Puranas and Itihasas. Smartas revere the Vedas and honor the Agamas. Today this faith is synonymous with the teachings of Adi Sankara, the monk-philosopher known as shanmata sthapanacharya, "founder of the six-sect system." He campaigned India-wide to consolidate the Hindu faiths of his time under the banner of Advaita Vedanta. To unify the worship, he popularized the ancient Smarta five-Deity altar--Ganapati, Surya, Vishnu, Siva and Sakti--and added Kumara. From these, devotees may choose their "preferred Deity," or Ishta Devata. Each God is but a reflection of the one Saguna Brahman.
    http://www.himalayanacademy.com/reso...andala-02.html
    Last edited by Spiritualseeker; 17 August 2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to add source

When SmArtas worship VishNu, why not worship his avatars SrI RAmA and SrI KrishNA? Although no pujA such as the PanchAyatana is neither prescribed nor precluded for such worship, SmArtas do celebrate RAma-navami and KrishNa-janmAShTami with sincere devotion in their homes, and partake the pujas and festivals held in temples.

Some examples of RAma-KrishNa bhakti among SmArtas:

• Bhagavad Gita is a popular 'smriti' among the SmArtas as well.

• SrI TyAgaraja, a supreme Bhakti-saint composed most of his 'kritis' on SrI RAmA.

• SrI KrishNapremi SvAmigaL and SrI MuralIdhara SvAmigaL are two currently popular KrishNa-Bhaktas.

• KAnchi ParamAchArya, one of the greatest Advaitin sages, has advised his SmArta devotees to have any Hindu God as their 'iShTa devata' (preferred deity).

• Adi Sankara has composed a 'stotra' on Sri KrishNa, called 'KrishNAShTakam' (http://www.stutimandal.com/gif_adi/krishnashtakam.htm).

• AchArya BodhendrAL, one of the Sankaracharyas of the Kanchipuram line gave up his Post as the head pontiff and retired to a village on the banks of Cauveri in Tanjore district & preached the efficacy of Rama Nama Siddhantha.His delectable verses contained in his work known as Rama Karnaamruta are a source of great joy to recite. (http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/cgi-...se/Nadhopasana)

• UtthukkADu Venkata Kavi composed many songs on SrI KrishNa and SrI RAmA.

As the other side of the coin, several VaishNavites have been devotees of the SankarAchAryas of the Sankara MaThams. For example, AriyakkuDi RAmAnuja AyyangAr, a famous VaishNava KarnAtic music exponent was devoteed to KAnchi ParamAchArya and sang Adi Sankara's 'SubrahmaNya Bhujangam', a hymn of SrI MurugA in his presence.

Hindu sects and traditions, although they are devoted to their own lines of 'bhakti' and 'sAdhana', and are sometimes vociferant about them, are never opposed to the deities or wisdom of other sects and traditions. A possible exception might be the ISKCON.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    Hindu sects and traditions, although they are devoted to their own lines of 'bhakti' and 'sAdhana', and are sometimes vociferant about them, are never opposed to the deities or wisdom of other sects and traditions.
    Vanakkam: Beautiful explanation. I think its also good to note that many Hindus just practise, not really knowing which sect they belong to. The Murugan bhaktars often don't know, for example, that they're technically Saiva, or Smarta. When asked, they can't tell you. I've also heard it expressed as "Smarta leaning towards Saiva" with the concept of 'leaning" being key.

Im my more frecent dealings with ISKCON, they seem to have mellowed, although methinks with the size of the organisation, there will be disparity still. Even outside ISKCON, you still get comments like "Don't go there, its not a real temple." etc. But that stuff is more often a North - South or linguistic problem.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

EM what about a Shaivite doing mantras from others? Like there is this work called "Shakti Mantras" and it talks about Mantras devoted to the Feminem Deities and the author a westerner who is a hindu mentions how beneficial they are and I was planning on trying them aswell part of my daily regimen. What do you think my elder brother hehe

Smarta-brahmana—a brahmana interested more in the external performance of the rules and rituals of the Vedas than in attaining Lord Krishna, the goal of the Vedas; one who strictly follows the Vedic principles on the mundane platform.

Smarta-guru—a professional spiritual master.

Smarta-vidhi—the regulations mundane religious activity.

Smarta—the popular name for followers of the Vedas who are overly attached to elevation and salvation. They are very careful about the latter, but often not the spirit, of scriptural injunctions, confounding the mundane with the spiritual. They are very fond of the smriti-shastras and are thus known as smartas.

Smriti—remembrance, a vyabhicari-bhava; revealed scriptures supplementary to the shruti, or original Vedic scriptures, which are the Vedas and Upanishads; scriptures compiled by living entities under transcendental direction; the corollaries of the Vedas.

Smrity-acarya—a spiritual master expert in the supplementary Vedic literatures.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    There is always a difference of opinion between a smarta-brahmana and a Vaishnava gosvamee. There are even smarta opinions and Vaishnava gosvamee opinions available in astrological and astronomical calculations.

This is the difference between a Vaishnava and a smarta-brahmana. A smarta-brahmana is always interested in material profit, whereas a Vaishnava is interested only in satisfying the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post

This is the difference between a Vaishnava and a smarta-brahmana. A smarta-brahmana is always interested in material profit, whereas a Vaishnava is interested only in satisfying the Supreme Personality of Godhead.
    From your high sounding sweeping generalisations however, one can say that a vaisnava like you is interested only in satisfying own bloated ego.

You are possibly not an Indian yet you comment on this Brahmana and that Brahmana.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

"You are possibly not an Indian yet you comment on this Brahmana and that Brahmana."

Tell that to NEWSWEEK MAGAZINE EDITORS!

Tell that to the non-brahma-bandhus.

Tell that to the military industrial complex & scientific community that has garnered all mordern facilities from the west.

Tell them what YOUR INDIA has done for the world's happiness and enjoyment.

If a smarta-brahmana has interests in other-than "eating/sleeping/mating & defending" ---they will be called "Hare Krishna Hare Ram People".

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

EM what about a Shaivite doing mantras from others? Like there is this work called "Shakti Mantras" and it talks about Mantras devoted to the Feminem Deities and the author a westerner who is a hindu mentions how beneficial they are and I was planning on trying them aswell part of my daily regimen. What do you think my elder brother hehe
    I don't use non - Saiva mantras personally. But that doesn't mean others don't, or shouldn't. Its not that I think other sects are wrong, or it might harm me in some way. I just find that for me, One God with one name and two big helpers is enough to satisfy all my spiritual longings and more. Much more. (Three mantras are plenty.)

Ekadantaye vidmahe vakratundaya dhimahi dhyo yo nah pracodayat

Aum Saravanabhava

Aum Namasivaya

namaste,

yeah I t hink i am just hard to please. I found the book to be very interesting. However instead of getting it I got the Miracle of Mindfulness By Thich Nhat Hanh

Thread Information