Thread: Plants have the lowest ability to understand dharma

Plants have the lowest ability to understand dharma

I remember someone saying that it was less of a sin to kill plants for food because they had the least number of senses to understand dharma with. After a lot of meditation on this subject i had a dream. I could feel the life of a giant tree. from the seed that origionally burst open when water touched it to the sprout and roots and trunk forming.. all the way to being cut down. i felt the roots sucking up all the water and minerals, and the leaves releasing oxygen and taking in the carbon monoxide, and with those things taking in the energy of the universe around it, and releasing similar energy into the air with the wind.
    i could see faceless humans ripping up plants and picking berries and eventually cutting down 'our' trunk and burning it for firewood.
    towards the end of the dream as i was floating towards being awake, a thought came into my head : that plants actually have the most ability to understand dharma and how it works. its been proven that soothing music and other environmental stimulants help plants grow bigger and faster. the environment surrounding it affects how everything grows. and trees can live longer than anything else on earth really, so they have longer in each lifetime to experience life.

Re: Plants have the lowest ability to understand dharma

Namaste,
    What you have experienced as a dream is actually a fact. I do not know who authoritatively told you that plants have lowest ability to understand Dharma. nowadays people seem to firmly press their opinion as the written law. please note here that I am only stating my understanding of eating plants and I may be wrong in this understanding also.
    I am a vegetarian and I too had the same doubts and nowhere could I find that killing plants is alright. after a self analysis and consulting biologists, this is the understanding.
    almost all of the vegetables we consume are the waste products of the entire plant. so are the fruits(can you believe that we consume the excreta of plants/trees). in case of fruits and vegetables, the seeds are placed by the plants inside them so that once the rest of the fruit/vegetable is consumed. the seeds are used to increase the plant population in other areas since plants don't move.so in principle, we act as scavengers and carriers of seeds as some other animals and birds do.in simple words, every species is contributing in making the nature free from waste by behaving as scavengers and in turn the scavengers get energy by consuming these waste products and the excretion of these utilized products act as natural manure for some other purpose(sometimes). in other cases, some parts of the plant is consumed such as root, shoot, stem, branches. in almost all of these cases the above principle remains true(consumption of part of plant results in seeds getting transferred for further population). in this also, most of the times, the entire plant is not killed, but only the consumable parts(called vegetables) are used. but in some cases the entire plant is killed/removed from land like rice and sugar cane. this is because these plants are perennial(life is one year maximum) and once the plants give rise to products(rice) then they die. an other point of view is that the rice plant is burned down so that it provides manure for next crop.
    so in general, vegetarians don't kill plant(vegetable/fruit is part of plant, not whole plant itself), but act as carriers(of seeds) and scavengers(removal of excreta of plants) just like any other species of the ecological cycle.
    but the same is not the case with animal consumption since the whole animal is first killed before consumption.
    please correct me if wrong.
    Best Regards,
    mukunda

Re: Plants have the lowest ability to understand dharma

thank you very much for sharing that, it totally makes sense now. i guess if the dream was true, they understand the workings of life so well that they work by taking in what we put out [carbon dioxide] and put out what we take in [oxygen], and also put out what we take in to live.. fruits/veggies. the more i learn the more peace i feel. its truly amazing and awesome how everything is so connected and works so perfectly.

Thread Information