Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: no form that is seen

no form that is seen

got this from a mulsim website

Na tasya pratima asti"
    "There is no likeness of Him."
    [Svetasvatara Upanishad 4:19]3
    1. The following verses from the Upanishad allude to the inability of man to imagine God in a particular form:
      "Na samdrse tisthati rupam asya, na caksusa pasyati kas canainam."
      "His form is not to be seen; no one sees Him with the eye."
      [Svetasvatara Upanishad 4:20]
    2. Yajurveda
      The following verses from the Yajurveda echo a similar concept of God:

• "na tasya pratima asti
        "There is no image of Him."
        [Yajurveda 32:3]5
      • "shudhama poapvidham"
        "He is bodyless and pure."
        [Yajurveda 40:8]6
    Can anyone explain here
    thanks in advance

Non-form is inverse of seen poly-forms

Isha Upanishad -- Mantra Sixteen:

püñann ekarñe yama sürya präjäpatya
    vyüha raçmén samüha
    tejo yat te rüpaà kalyäëa-tamaà
    tat te paçyämi yo ’säv asau puruñaù so ’ham asmi

püñann ekarñe yama
    O maintainer, O primeval philosopher, O regulating principle

sürya präjäpatya
    O destination of the süris, O well-wisher of the prajäpatis

vyüha raçmén
    remove kindly the rays

samüha tejo
    withdraw kindly the effulgence

yat
    so that

te rüpaà kalyäëa-tamaà
    Your form—most auspicious

tat te paçyämi
    that Your I may see

yo ’säv asau puruñaù
    one who is, like the sun the Godhead-Personality

so ’ham asmi
    as I myself am

Translation by bhaktajan's most favorite maha-bhagavata Swamiji:

"O my Lord, O primeval philosopher, maintainer of the universe, O regulating principle, destination of the pure devotees, well-wisher of the progenitors of mankind, please remove the effulgence of Your transcendental rays so that I can see Your form of bliss. You are the eternal Supreme Personality of Godhead, like unto the sun, as am I."

Re: Non-form is inverse of seen poly-forms

Can some one explain the contradiction.

Re: no form that is seen

As i see it there is no contradiction.

Many verses in Vedas and upanishads are in some form of contemplation and exploration.

The ones you posted above are such ones including Isopanishad.The initial verses of Rig veda are also in the form of contemplation.

This Particular issue was clarified in Gita.
    7:24.

It is my personal opinion that without referring Bhagavad gita ordinary people like you and me get lost in the Maze of Vast Vedic literature.

Ok chandu ji i get what youre saying.
    I know that is why i asked someone to expalin it to me.
    One verse says god is bodyless and another says god is with form.
    I want to know where i can find the full verse and this part of the yajurveda where it is written.
    Last edited by SANT; 26 August 2009 at 12:47 PM.

My statement "Non-form is inverse of seen poly-forms"
    alludes to the two staes of existance spoken of in the sastra.

Non-form = that which is composed of non-material energy [aka, Sattva-chitta-ananda ~sat-cit-ananda ~sacinanda ---eternality-cognisance-bliss = non-material energy] Non-material energy is OUTSIDE the bounds of the Material World. Literally beyond & outside the manifested Material Cosmos. The Spiritual Cosmos are composed entirely of sat-cit-ananda energy ---in that realm there is a different system of 'accounting' ~in that realm there is a different system of 'economic' & 'rules of existance' where there is ONE PERSON ONLY who is sought out always . . . as a means of 'making a living'. In that realm there is a different system of 'working senses' which are born of consciousness and with each so-called second of the day evolve toward 'bliss and more bliss, more bliss, more bliss'. We can go to that realm if only we had any personal interest to do so ---via knowledge & renunciation, ergo the ettiquette of formless living as "spirits-in-the-spiritual-World".

is inverse of

Seen poly-forms = the manifested Cosmos [Material energy = tri-gunas+kala+the 8 elements+Paramatma+Brahman et al] with its varigated & temporary forms as seen/tasted/touched/heard/smelled by the 'embodied soul' with the aide of that good old-fashioned see-taste-touch-hear-smell machine called the body (albiet there are 8,400,000 makes and models to consciously and/or forciably choose to inhabit & animate in each birth life-time). It is at this point where we are free to Eat/Sleep/Mate/Defend to the best of our freewill and level of acculturated sophistication birth-after-birth since time immemorial.

But bodyless means bodyless theres no mentione of spiritual or material body.

Although i also understand in the way youre saying this.
    jagadguru maharaj ramanuja says that the real form of god does not possess of the three gunas.
    The verse -na tasya pratima asti as tranlated as there is no image of him itself mentions the word him which means that god is purusha and not something formless.
    But since it says there is no image of him but we have images and idols of our vedic deities that is why is ask.

Yes, this statement is correct: "the real form of god does not possess of the three guna"

Who is saying otherwise?

The Isopanisad is alluding to something beyond the manifest workings of Life/Death beyond the Brahma-jyoti effulgence of God's Face.

Who is saying otherwise?
    I got this from dr nakri hussain.
    http://www.islam101.com/religions/hi...nceptOfGod.htm
    Its in one of these videos on hinduism by his.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNcRO_FxxOU

Anyway ill get later on this when i find more of the translation.

Re: Non-form is inverse of seen poly-forms

Quote Originally Posted by SANT View Post
    Can some one explain the contradiction.

Pranam,
    This how I have come to understand God.
    First, let's look at a basic definition of light.

Light- a medium that is unseen but when it is present it allows us to see. (Although you see the written words you don't understand them because there is no light.) Once you understand, light is present. Hence the expression, " Oh, now I see the light, I get it!" Therefore, GOD can be compared to physical light. LIGHT- a medium that is UNSEEN but when it is present it allows us to see. What is it that we see? Everything composed of the 5 elements.

Secondly, I like to take a look into outer space.

Look at the earths' tiny existance compared to the size of the Milky Way. Or even better take a look at the largest star in our galaxy. By doing this you will see just how BIG GOD would be if S/He had a form. As far as we know space is infinite.

Lastly, take a look a quantamn physics.
    Just the basics will give you a good idea about the infinitesmial nature of GOD's existence.

Just keep in mind the body is just one of the poly-forms. The Soul is non-form.
    I hope that helps a little.

Namaste,

Thread Information