Thread: Principles I have found...

Threaded View

Principles I have found...

hari o
    ~~~~~

Namasté

I have been introduced to a few principles over the years that I found hold true. These have been taught and offered to me by teachers, my reading & study, etc. Let me avoid a long list and ask if you had any that you have found weathered the test of time for you?

The world is as you are.
    That is, when you are happy or dull , the world takes on that appearance also. This is why when a person becomes liberated 'all is right with the world' as there are no issues occurring internally, peace and happiness is found within and without.
    When one is healthy and bright, then many challenges become opportunities. Yet if one is dull, lethargic and in general unbalanced, the sky is always falling on him or her and the universe is seen as a foe.

What you put your attention on grows stronger in your life or what you think you become
    If one chooses uplifting subjects and conversations, that grows in one's life. If one is negative and finds fault all the time, this too grows stronger in all occasions. Suspicions grow. Being excessively critical ( without merit) is the fertile ground for being increasingly cynical.
    This idea is in close association with the following:

What you 'eat' you become
    Eating here includes all the senses, not just the tongue. What we watch, read, associate with, are all inputs to the mind and to its processing and available to thinking and choices. Over time you reflect what you eat.

The things you do not like about someone else are those things you would not do yourself.
    This was a most insightful discovery for me. It can be all the way from ' how can that person wear those clothes' , or ' how can that person walk around with that dirt and grime on them', or 'look who he is associating with'. These things are what we would not do ourselves and hence we see the 'fault' of another doing it and it is repelling or disdainful to accept.
    This notion is the core of 'what's wrong with that person?' thinking.

These are just a few… perhaps you have a few to share?

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 30 August 2009 at 01:27 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information