Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Principles I have found...

Principles I have found...

hari o
    ~~~~~

Namasté

I have been introduced to a few principles over the years that I found hold true. These have been taught and offered to me by teachers, my reading & study, etc. Let me avoid a long list and ask if you had any that you have found weathered the test of time for you?

The world is as you are.
    That is, when you are happy or dull , the world takes on that appearance also. This is why when a person becomes liberated 'all is right with the world' as there are no issues occurring internally, peace and happiness is found within and without.
    When one is healthy and bright, then many challenges become opportunities. Yet if one is dull, lethargic and in general unbalanced, the sky is always falling on him or her and the universe is seen as a foe.

What you put your attention on grows stronger in your life or what you think you become
    If one chooses uplifting subjects and conversations, that grows in one's life. If one is negative and finds fault all the time, this too grows stronger in all occasions. Suspicions grow. Being excessively critical ( without merit) is the fertile ground for being increasingly cynical.
    This idea is in close association with the following:

What you 'eat' you become
    Eating here includes all the senses, not just the tongue. What we watch, read, associate with, are all inputs to the mind and to its processing and available to thinking and choices. Over time you reflect what you eat.

The things you do not like about someone else are those things you would not do yourself.
    This was a most insightful discovery for me. It can be all the way from ' how can that person wear those clothes' , or ' how can that person walk around with that dirt and grime on them', or 'look who he is associating with'. These things are what we would not do ourselves and hence we see the 'fault' of another doing it and it is repelling or disdainful to accept.
    This notion is the core of 'what's wrong with that person?' thinking.

These are just a few… perhaps you have a few to share?

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 30 August 2009 at 01:27 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Principles I have found...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    perhaps you have a few to share?
    All this wisdom on HDF and no principles to share?

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hey you have to give some time for reflection. lol Patience is a virtue, buddy. There are hundreds of apt principles.

Here's one I discovered the hard way.

When arguments occur with loved ones, chances are pretty good that one or both participants are tired. (Moral: Don't take things personally in such discussions, even tiredness passes with a good night's sleep.)

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Nice post yajvan. I was just recently watching the film called "What the Bleep Do We Know" and it speaks a lot of this. Like you said if one is dull then the world appears like that. Because the peptides continue to formulate with our continous dull thoughts or thoughts of worry, fear, etc... Over time it just intertwines and we are stuck in our addiction. So the world never changes until we undue those effects.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

All this wisdom on HDF and no principles to share?

praṇām

Dear Yaj:

The best principle I have learnt is the summary of BG ( and even SD) in Chapter 2 verse 47 . Any thing I do in this life I try to relate to this verse. This is the genius of Vyasa who I guess in gratitude gave the credit to Krishna.
    I find these are indeed the most powerful words ever spoken. It is all about LOVE.

Love...................VC

Quote Originally Posted by vcindiana View Post
    Dear Yaj:

The best principle I have learnt is the summary of BG ( and even SD) in Chapter 2 verse 47 . Any thing I do in this life I try to relate to this verse. This is the genius of Vyasa who I guess in gratitude gave the credit to Krishna.
    I find these are indeed the most powerful words ever spoken. It is all about LOVE.

Love...................VC
    Could you post that verse, please ?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Namasté VC,

Quote Originally Posted by vcindiana View Post
    . This is the genius of Vyasa who I guess in gratitude gave the credit to Krishna.
    You have brought up Vyāsa in your post… I think you will be surprised/impressed to find out who Vyāsa¹ (Kṛṣṇa Dvaipāyana ) really is. Where to look?
    The śrīmad bhāgavata mahāpurāṇa. Here is the reference : http://bhagavata.org/canto1/chapter3.html ; look for the 17th desent of the Lord into the word of matter.

praṇām

words

• Veda Vyāsa वेद व्यास, the one who compiled the veda-s, or Kṛṣṇa Dvaipāyana ;
      • Kṛṣṇa= dark in complexion and Dvaipāyana suggests where Vyāsa was born:
      • dvi द्वि is 2 ; pāya पाय is water ; dvipa द्विप is drinking twice and dvīpa द्वीप an island , peninsula , sandbank.
      • Hence born on an island where two rivers join or meet
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by dhruva023 View Post
    Could you post that verse, please ?
    Indeed it is my pleasure Dhruva

karmaṇy evādhikāras te
    phaleṣukadācana
    karma-phala-hetur bhūr
    te sańgo 'stv akarmaṇi

You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty.

I find every word in this verse is of paramount importance. Again it is all about LOVE.

Love.................VC

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

while I applaud every attempt to translate this verse, and we have reviewed this śloka multiple times, the key take-away is you cannot control the outcome of an action.

Kṛṣṇa says the following in the Bhāgavad gītā (chapter 2, 47th śloka)
    karmai evādhikāras te
    mā phalesu kadācana
    mā karma-phala-hetur bhūr
    mā te sago'stv akarmai
    This says, you certainly (eva) have ādhikāra¹ (claim , right , privilege, control) of your (te or ti) karmai (of your actions) , but never or not (mā) of its fruits (phalesu) .

Just so there is no confusion - 'but never or not (mā) of its fruits (phalesu)' clearly points that the individual cannot control the outcome. You do not have a choice on the level of success or failure that may result from that action that is initiated.

The remaining words tell us say in general live not for the fruits of action, nor attach yourself to inaction.

Where is my issue? VC offers the following:
    but you are not entitled to the fruits of action
    This is not the intent of Kṛṣṇa's words.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 01 September 2009 at 09:04 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Don't be in a hurry.

1) not good for health, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual
    2) leads to silly errors
    3) you miss out on the beauty of things

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information