Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Principles I have found...

Re: Principles I have found...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namasté sunyata,

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Namaste,

One principle I have found true, and quite beneficial in living life is how people don't know what they have until they don't have it anymore.
    Thank you for your post... yes, I too must agree with your assessment. I see this often in the USA. Most people are used to abundence. When this is removed then there is sobbing and many say, how can this happen, why did it happen to me?

For some reason loss is more impactful then gain, or makes a bigger impression ( vāsanā¹ ). To this, one adds more stress and more attachment - as the notion then goes ' I want what I lost back ' .

praṇām

words
    vāsanā वासना the impression of anything remaining in the mind; some say the present consciousness of past perceptions , knowledge derived from memory. Not to be confused with vasana वसन - cloth , clothes , dress , garment , apparel , attire.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan et al:

I think I misunderstood the topic. The word 'found' to me doesn't mean found within the scriptures, but rather found within yourself. It is my understanding that the scriptures are contained within. So which comes first, a scriptural reading of a principle, or a self-discovery of a principle. To me, the second is of far greater importance. But I digress.

Another principle, or in this case an error in thought process, that I have discovered over and over again is that the mind tends to believe that its temporal state is permanent. Once depressed, always depressed?

The first time this really hit me was when I was a school counsellor, still young and stupid. A group or a pair of girls all in a big frenzy would be having friendship problems, come knock on my door in the morning, and say "We really NEED to talk to you. Such and such did this or that or said this or that." I'd say, "I have a bit of other work to do. I'll come and pull you out of class first chance I get." Then I'd put some planning into how to approach the big deal. Maybe get a neutral classmate in on it or something. So I'd go and pick them up 20 minutes later. When they'd get to the hallway, there would be smiles all around and one of them would say. "It's all right now."

Eventually I learned to say, "Let's wait a day. if you're still having problems then, we'll talk about it."

Now this is true not just in this life, but also over many lives. I re realised this this morning when reading the thread about whether or not the male gender is better for moksha?

Once a man, always a man? So not just in this life, but over the entire time span of a soul's evolution, from emanation to merging back.

Aum Namasivaya

One of the principles I have found reading BG:

Stick to my Swadharma, some thing that was given through Birth (DNA if some one wants to call it) natural ability and talent, then my schooling, education, training and experience all put together. (Arjuna is a great example, born to Kshatriya, was raised watching fellow Kshatriyas and all the tools of the trade. He was trained as Kshatriya and developed his talents as Kshatriya. Krishna though powerful did not want to make him a Sanyasi.

I am unique like each one of us and it is my purpose in this life to use my own Swadharma to its best. It is very tempting to copy some one else’s Dharma just to “look good” in the eyes of others. It would very frustrating to copy or follow some other’s vocation.

Love..............VC

in my experience one gets what one deserves, the karmic dispensation.

The verse in MB as quoted by the article in DH (Thread: The wisdom of dharma - Deccan Herald by HDFNewsBot) adds more to my learning.

In my Swadharma it is not good to violate/criticize another’s Dharma.

Love.............VC

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namasté EM ( et.al)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Namaste Yajvan et al:

I think I misunderstood the topic. The word 'found' to me doesn't mean found within the scriptures, but rather found within yourself. It is my understanding that the scriptures are contained within. So which comes first, a scriptural reading of a principle, or a self-discovery of a principle. To me, the second is of far greater importance. But I digress.
    Aum Namasivaya
    I think you have seen the topic clearly; others may have applied a different view on the subject, yet overall this string has been useful and has merit... I thank all that chose to contribute and hope more share their insights.

That said, I thought to add another principle I found to be true. I have mentioned it before in the past. Some have scratched their heads on this idea: Painted cakes do not satisfy hunger.

These words came from Baba Rām Das' guru, Neem Karoli Baba . If you ( the reader) are not familiar with this book Be Here Now ¹ , IMHO it is worth the time and effort to read.

So , what does it (Painted cakes do not satisfy hunger) mean? It says, talking does not = doing. We can talk all day about all the paths and methods to touch the Divine, yet if one does not pursue it, the conversation is academic. One may be hungry, but looking at a painted cake on a bill board will not fill one's stomach.

Like that, we live in a world of action. It is by action that one achieves. It is by knowledge that one acts. So, knowledge and action are intimately connected. Yet knowledge without action, where is the value? But action binds yajvan! action brings more actions and these in turn bind one to cause and effect.
    Yes, this is true. That is why the wisdom Kṛṣṇa offers is so valuable ( the Bhāgavad gītā 48th verse ) : yogastha kuru karmānī- established (or steadfast) in yoga ( union) perform actions (karma).

This is called skill in action - then actions do not bind. This is the highest knowledge one can apply for a practical life. This fulfills the instruction given to Baba Rām Das' from his guru, and that is Be Here Now. Every moment is 'now'. One is absorbed in the present tense, 'now'. Life becomes a succession of nows, as one is absorbed in the Union of the Divine - there is only now.

praṇām

references
    Be Here Now - one site : http://www.yogalifestyle.com/BkBeRD.htm

यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Vanakkam souls:
    My apologies if this quote was on here, and I'm just repeatingit. I forget who it was attributed to but it follows Yajvan's thoughts.

"The smallest good deed is greater than the largest good intention."

Aum Namasivaya

Agreeing to all the principles stated thus far, i suggest the following, which perhaps may be topical for me and few others:

Bliss is to give up all conceit notions wrongly associated with the "I".

(This is adapted from Buddha, but experienced afresh).

Om Namah Shivaya

That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Let me share some of mine :

I have realised :

1. That degree of "Evenness of mind" ( i.e. full control on our nerves irrespective of stimulations & environment) is the real sign of spiritual progress.

2. That all hungers/desires have their roots in mind. To control the organs I must control my mind. Once the mind's connection is broken out from an organ, it can't disturb me any more.

3. That meditation & discrimination bring evenness of mind.

4. That it helps me by reminding myself repeatedly that my body is not "I" ( we are only temporarily together) and everyone around me, even my adversaries if any, in essence, is God Himself.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namasté EM ( et.al)

..... the wisdom Kṛṣṇa offers is so valuable ( the Bhāgavad gītā 48th verse ) : yogastha kuru karmānī- established (or steadfast) in yoga ( union) perform actions (karma).

This is called skill in action -

Dear Yaj,

Please explain to me these words in practical terms. All actions need to be skilled? You mean these are voluntary actions unlike involuntary spontaneous breathing or heart beating? Several so called Geeta authorities lump all actions the same.

You mention steadfast in Yoga, does that mean to be disciplined oneself in one’s activities? Discipline sounds to me that it is attached and it is not free.

Love.........VC

Thread Information