Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entering Sade Saati

Entering Sade Saati

From what I gather I will be going in Sade Saati on September 9 Tuesday, what can I expect? My program tells it it may be medicoroe my details are September 26 1987, 13:05 Toronto Canada Thanks!

Re: Entering Sade Saati

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

I do not plan on offering a point of view on your śani शनि period you will experience. Yet I thought it noteworthy to examine the words that describe this 7 1/2 year period.

This is a very interesting time… and the words śad sāti help depict possible experiences. I say possible, as it all depends on what houses śani rules in one's natal chart ( janma kuṇḍalī).

Some people say this śani śadsāti period means 7 1/2 years of Saturn (influence). Perhaps to the casual observer this may be the case. Yet with closer inspection, I find the wisdom of the ancent jyotiṣa naming this as remarkably brillant. Lets take a look.

Here are some of the qualities of this śanaiscara (saturn, the slow moving one) name and time period one would experience.
    • śad is to fall off, fall from; to fell , to fall from yet in the term śad sāti, śad it is used as 'half' from the notion that śad is also 'to cut off' and hence it's applied to half ( 1/2 ).
    Now what of this sāti ? If the wise wanted to write '7' they could have just written sapta सप्त, 7. Then it would be called śad saptan and there would little doubt that it was a 7 1/2 year period.
    Maybe even lava लव (fragment , piece , particle , bit , little piece) saptan would have worked. Yet the śastri ( one who knows doctrine, teacher) picked sāti, and here IMHO is why.
    • sāti साति is first used as gaining, obtaining. Its second use is endings. destruction, pain.
    • And in its 3rd use, it's the name of a meter (meter is called chandas छन्दस् ). This meter is called padanicṛt or padanikṛt. This is pada + ni + kṛt ( just brillant!). Pada is a step, stride, a portion + ni is the 7th musical note or niṣadha + kṛt is to cut or split ( kṛt is also making to doing, performing and also applies)
      • So this meter is that which is cut (kṛt) into parts (pada) of 7's (ni).
    Now you must be thinking why go through all that wordsmithing where the śastri could have just said saptan (7) and call it a day?
    It is because of the additional meanings that are carried with sāti.
    We said sāti साति is used as 'gaining, obtaining'. Its second use is 'endings, destruction, pain'. By using this word its potency is that withn this 7 year period, one gains and obtains pain.

Hence this is the insightful definition that can be brought to śad sāti which in one stroke tells you the period of time ( 7 1/2 years) and the quality of the time period.

We have yet to define this astrologically. Śad sāti is when this śanaiscara (saturn, the slow moving one) is 12th, 1st and 2nd from the natal position of the moon. That is , it is transiting ( residing or gocara) in the 12th from the moon, then moves in the same house as the moon ( in one's birth chart) and then in the 2nd house from the moon in one's birth chart. This period takes ~ 7.5 years to complete.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 02 September 2009 at 05:01 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    We said sāti साति is used as 'gaining, obtaining'. Its second use is 'endings, destruction, pain'. By using this word its potency is that withn this 7 year period, one gains and obtains pain.
    Namaste tony and yajvan ji,

I would surely rephrase. One gains knowledge to overcome pain.
    ----------------------------
    Sade Sati is painful but not to the flexible who adapt, consolidate and manage affairs by sticking to only the priority items. It is not painful to those who are situated in Atman and those who cling to nothing.

It has been and is still painful to me -- but with unclinging of one sticky ego hunger after another, the going is much smoother.

Unclinging to memory/history of an imagined greatness of myself as a great thing, is the simple key.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste tony and yajvan ji,

I would surely rephrase. One gains knowledge to overcome pain.
    ----------------------------
    Sade Sati is painful but not to the flexible who adapt, consolidate and manage affairs by sticking to only the priority items. It is not painful to those who are situated in Atman and those who cling to nothing.

It has been and is still painful to me -- but with unclinging of one sticky ego hunger after another, the going is much smoother.

Unclinging to memory/history of an imagined greatness of myself as a great thing, is the simple key.

Om Namah Shivaya

Well said, thank you atanu.
    Without going too deep, another dependency is which round of śad sāti will be in effect i.e. 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Each one offers a different set of conditions and experiences.

Hence 'gain' and 'pain' will apply in verying degrees. But why pain ? It is not (always) manditory as I see it. Pain IMHO gets your undivided attention, there are no negotiations.

Lessons to be learned - yes a very good point atanu, and sometimes again and again, no?
    I think of an older post here on HDF on the lessons and learning: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3912&highlight=human

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 04 September 2009 at 07:21 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    Namasté

Well said, thank you atanu.
    Without going too deep, another dependency is which round of śad sāti will be in effect i.e. 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Each one offers a different set of conditions and experiences.
    Another consideration.... As I mention above the 'round' of śad sāti and potential intensities, there is also another. That of śani passing through the 12th, 1st and 2nd houses from the natal moon.

Passing through the 12th house - issues concerning the head.
    The 1st house, issues or concerns with the body, and with the 2nd house, issues or concerns below the beltline (waist line).

Now with the 'head' I have seen both , physical issues with the head ( injuries) and/or with the mind i.e. stresses and strains.
    Same with the body and below the waistline.
    One individual I tracked for the 7 1/2 years ( other then me ) had mental stress, then bodily stress, then leg stress ( a leg injury that in fact he gained a limp when walking - made him the slow moving one (like śani).

Now does this occur with every one? Nope. For me during my first round of śad sāti it was very positive. Yet the second round was very (very) difficult. Lets see what the 3rd round brings.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    Namast

Another consideration.... As I mention above the 'round' of śad sāti and potential intensities, there is also another. That of śani passing through the 12th, 1st and 2nd houses from the natal moon.

----
    Now does this occur with every one? Nope. For me during my first round of śad sāti it was very positive. Yet the second round was very (very) difficult. Lets see what the 3rd round brings.

praṇām
    Namaste yajvan ji,

The transit effect of saturn through 12th, 1st, and 2nd to natal moon, is more commonly understood. In most lives there will be three such passages. It is said by some that the first passage gives problem to self (ego self) in the form of hindrances etc. The 2nd passage is said to be troublesome for parents and the third signals the end of bodily life of the subject.

Saturn is known as the teacher but I wonder why Saturn's passage has to be so harsh to the ego self. I will repeat what I have found to be the remedy: Unclinging to memory/history of an imagined greatness of myself as a great thing. That is to give up all conceit notions wrongly associated with the "I".

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    Namasté atanu

Namaste yajvan ji,
    Saturn is known as the teacher but I wonder why Saturn's passage has to be so harsh to the ego self. I will repeat what I have found to be the remedy: Unclinging to memory/history of an imagined greatness of myself as a great thing. That is to give up all conceit notions wrongly associated with the "I". Om Namah Shivaya
    ...being harsh. Yes, this does happen. I think from my vantage point, this harshness is a level of discipline, of being stern, straight, unbending which yields a 'harsh' experience - we say the same thing.
    We know śani as yama also - restraints.

Yes, I see your point on 'giving up'. This giving up = surrender too , no? The ultimate giving up is letting go - this was whispered to me in my ear by a muni ' let go'. I knew exactly what he meant - let go of this bind with the senses, with moha. I understood it - now it is my intent to allow this to happen.

This is the same message offered by śani yet often he does not whisper ! His message is steady and unyielding.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 07 September 2009 at 04:26 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    Namast

o prām prīm praum śanaiścārāya nama

We talked of śad sāti in the above posts. There is also another strong influence śani offers, and that is kaṇṭaka śani. Lets take a look.

There is a period of time when śanaiścārāya (śani शनि or Saturn) passes through the 1st, 8th and 10th house. (some include the 4th house too, yet this is not what I was taught and will leave it out for this discussion). This transit is called kaṇṭaka śani. What does this mean?
    • kaṇṭa कण्ट is a thorn + ka क used in the masculine gender means the body ( among other things) and also another name for yama - restraint.
    • So this kaṇṭaka is a thorn one feels , it becomes a thorn in one's progress.
    Since śani is now in my 11th house, I experienced kaṇṭaka śani's effects in the 10th house. That of delays & restraints to accomplish things.
    Even the brightest, fastest and most competent will start ~limping~ ( have issues ) in their work due to this 'thorn' - so says Sanjay Rath.

Many projects I was working on took 3 ,4 or 5 attempts to get something done correctly. Delay's were experienced by me for some time during śani's time in Leo , my 10th house. As you would expect the 10th house is that of careers and when kaṇṭaka śani occurs here earnings and opportunities have a thorn in them. From the 1st house, wrong decisions affecting ones person is experienced, and from the 8th , the house of longevity is also impacted.

It is suggested that relief is found in Rudra and in Śrī Rudram.
    I myself did this in India for 11 days, with 11 pundits, 11 times per day; Let me say my intent was to accomplish this with or without kaṇṭaka śani being in place. When one does yajya ( IMHO) it is out of joy and adoration and not out of fear. Fear is not a friend to the wise. What occurred? things improved slowly. Why slowly? note śanaiscara = the slow moving one.

Eka eva rudro na dvitiyaya
    Rudra is the sole one, there is no second
    Kṛṣṇa Yajur Ved - Taittirīya saṁhitā 1.8.6.iii

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    Since śani is now in my 11th house, I experienced kaṇṭaka śani's effects in the 10th house. That of delays & restraints to accomplish things.
    Even the brightest, fastest and most competent will start ~limping~ ( have issues ) in their work due to this 'thorn' - so says Sanjay Rath.

praṇām
    Namaste Yajvan Ji,

Well. Well. So, we have the same ascendant. Additionally, I have the natal Moon in 10th, wherein kantaka also became applicable along with sade sati. Moreover, the Moon (Full Moon) being opposite the Sun in the Fith added salt to the burn, since that made Shani opposite the natal Sun. All these transits in Rahu dasha. Oh. You know it all.

hehe. Well, I am living -- somehow. Thanks to Him.

Om Namah Shivaya

-------------------------

I have a question. As I can see, in your case as in my case also, shani is yogakaraka. How that impacts all these transits?

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    Namast atanu,

I have the natal Moon in 10th, wherein kantaka also became applicable along with sade sati. Moreover, the Moon (Full Moon) being opposite the Sun in the Fith added salt to the burn, since that made Shani opposite the natal Sun. All these transits in Rahu dasha.
    hehe. Well, I am living -- somehow. Thanks to Him.

Om Namah Shivaya

-------------------------
    No doubt śad sāti is occuring in your chart. The transit called kaṇṭaka śani does happen in the 10th, it is also evaluated from other lagna-s i.e. Aruda lagna and natal moon positions. In your case śani offers its influence as śad sāti now, and the kaṇṭaka śani has passed.

Yet you did experience kaṇṭaka śani from the standpoint of śani passing over your natal moon. This is why śad sāti is considered a major event and something that people remember.

praṇām

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information