Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divisions of the Vedic Literatures' Chart

Divisions of the Vedic Literatures' Chart

For members of the International Society for Dharma Consciousness,

Please find attached a Mini-Chart of the:

Let us start with first with orientation and then exploration.

Bhaktajan
    Last edited by bhaktajan; 01 September 2009 at 09:50 AM.

Re: Divisions of the Vedic Literatures' Chart

Divisions of the Vedic Literatures

SRUTI – [revealed writings, or “that which is heard”]:

The four Veda Samhitas - [Rg, Sama, Yajur, and Atharva].
    • Brahmanas
    • aranyakas
    • Upanisads [more than (108) books].
    SMRTI – [tradition, or “that which is remembered”]:

Itihasas - [Epics, such as the Ramayana and the Mahabharata,
    which includes the Bhagavad-gita].
    • Puranas (Histories):
      • A] - The (18) Maha-Puranas (“Great Puranas”):
    (6) sattvic Puranas (for persons in goodness):

Bhagavata-Purana (Srimad-Bhagavatam),

Visnu-Purana,

Naradiya-Purana

Garuda-Purana

Padma-Purana

Varaha-Purana

(6) rajasic Puranas (for persons in passion):

Matsya-Purana

Kurma-Purana

Liìga-Purana

Siva-Purana

Skanda-Purana

Agni-Purana

(6) tamasic Puranas (for persons in ignorance):

Brahma-Purana

Brahmanda-Purana

Brahma-vaivarta-Purana

Markandeya-Purana

Bhavisya-Purana

Vamana-Purana

• B] - The (18) Upa-Puranas (“Minor Puranas”)
      • C] - The Numerous Sthala-Puranas (“Regional Puranas”)

• Sutras(codes) - [Srauti-Sutra, Grha-Sutra, Kalpa-Sutra, Dharma-Sutra, Sulva-Sutra, Vedanta-Sutra].
    • Vedangas (auxiliary Sciences) - [Siksa, Chandas, Vyakarana, Nirukta, Jyotisa, Kalpa].
    • Upavedas(sciences indirectly related to Vedic Study) - [ayur-veda, Gandharva-veda, Dhanur-veda, Sthapatya-veda].
    • Bhasyas (writings and commentaries of the great acaryas throughout history).
    Last edited by bhaktajan; 02 September 2009 at 12:21 PM.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namasté bhaktajan,

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post
    (6) sattvic Puranas (for persons in goodness):
    (6) rajasic Puranas (for persons in passion):
    (6) tamasic Puranas (for persons in ignorance):
    thank you for your post... could you be so kind and to explain the breakout of these purāa-s as you see fit or by your point of view.

Are you certain it is by a person's guna type and not perhaps by
    • sāttvika exalting viṣṇu
    • rājasa exalting brahmā
    • tāmasa exalting śiva
    praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Ma priya bhayya Yajvan naradev-ji,

First let me say much much I find your Sanskrit word definitions ---they are very entralling for me. I find it priceless.

It has always been a major philosophical question in my mind:

"Which comes first?
    The "Act of Creation" or the "Quality"

IOW,

"Which comes first?
    The "Act of Creation (via raja-guna) or the "Quality of CREATIVITY ITSELF"? ---The Quality itself would be raja-guna personified in the form of a person possessed of a guna's quality, no?

So the propensity to "Act" as per Raja, Tama or sattva during the majority of ones daily life time is what defines a person [old saying: 'You can Judge a person by their actions'].

The sastra is primarily a parampara lineage that reveals past lessons of the elite whose acts set the standard for all the world to pursue ---that is a benediction for the readers of the sastra ---So IMO, The sastras are divide so as to accommodate the different readers and thus attact all to the ways of higher paths are marked out for less fortunate denizens (souls/persons) of our worlds to establish life's dharma ---in all circumstances.

The Deva-godhead of each Guna is a personal thing IMO. By 'personal' I am referring to the Deva [not the sadhika, student] The Deva is the Personhood that attracts us to a means of Dharma appropriate to our continual past 'architypal' life-times ---though errors in choice of path may take us on detours it can safely be concluded that 'it's all good'.

The Deva-godhead of each Guna is a person with over-arching-qualities that we find attractive and seek to emulate or be of service to.

raja-guna sastra certainly does not seek to solely promote a sadhika to Brahma's Planetary system . . . but such sastra does result it qualifiying one to gain admittance (via stern penances) to the audience of elite company and the 'beautiful-people'.

Each of the Three groups of sastra is Mercy for the beholder & steward of such history books.

sarva shivam as tu te,
    bhaktajan

I'd like to Highlight the following Purana:

1—The timeless wisdom of India is expressed in the ancient Sanskrit Vedas. Originally preserved through oral tradition, the Vedas were first put into writing five thousand years ago by Srila Vyasadeva, “the literary incarnation of God.” After compiling the Vedas, Vyasadeva set forth their essence in the aphorisms known as Vedanta-sutras.
    From Isopanisad Introdution: But five thousand years ago Vyasadeva put the Vedas in writing for the people in this age, Kali-yuga. He divided the Vedas into four: Rig, Sama, Atharva and Yajur. Then he gave the charge of these Vedas to his different disciples. Then Vyasadeva summarized all Vedic knowledge for scholars and philosophers in what is called the Vedanta-sutra. This is the last word of the Vedas. Vyasadeva was not very satisfied even after compiling many Puranas and Upanisads, and even after writing the Vedanta-sutra. Then his spiritual master, Narada, instructed him, “Explain the Vedanta-sutra.” Vedanta means “ultimate knowledge,” and the ultimate knowledge is Krsna. Krsna says that throughout all the Vedas one has to understand Him: vedanta-krd veda-vid eva caham. Krsna says, “I am the compiler of the Vedanta-sutra, and I am the knower of the Vedas.” Therefore the ultimate objective is Krsna. The Vedanta-sutra simply hints at what is Brahman, the Absolute Truth: “The Absolute Truth is that from whom everything emanates.” This is a summary, but it is explained in detail in Srimad-Bhagavatam. If everything is emanating from the Absolute Truth, then what is the nature of the Absolute Truth? That is explained in Srimad-Bhagavatam. The Absolute Truth must be consciousness. He is self-effulgent (svarat). We develop our consciousness and knowledge by receiving knowledge from others, but for Him it is said that He is self-effulgent. The whole summary of Vedic knowledge is the Vedanta-sutra, and the Vedanta-sutra is explained by the writer himself in Srimad-Bhagavatam. We finally request those who are actually after Vedic knowledge to try to understand the explanation of all Vedic knowledge from Srimad-Bhagavatam and the Bhagavad-gita.

2—Srimad-Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana) is Vyasadeva’s commentary on his own Vedanta-sutras.

3—After compiling the Bhagavatam, Vyasa imparted it to his son, Sukadeva Gosvami.

4—Sukadeva Gosvami later recited the entire Bhagavatam to Maharaja Pariksit in an assembly of learned saints on the banks of the Ganges at Hastinapura (now Delhi).

5—Maharaja Pariksit was the emperor of the world and was a great rajarsi (saintly king). Having received a curse that he would die within the seven days, he renounced his entire kingdom and retired to the bank of the Ganges River to fast until death and received spiritual enlightenment.

6—The Bhagavatam begins with Emperor Pariksit’s inquiry to Sukadeva: Maharaja Pariksit: “You are the spiritual master of great saints and devotees. I am therefore begging you to show the way of perfection for all persons, and especially for one who is about to die. Please let me know what a man should hear, chant, remember and worship, and what he should not do. Please explain all this to me.”

7—Sukadeva often relates historical episodes and give accounts of lengthy philosophical discussions between such great souls as Narada Muni and Vasudeva.

8—At a later date, the sage Suta Goswami, [who was present at the Ganges River assembly] repeated the Bhagavatam before a gathering of Sages in the forest of Naimisaranya. [These sages, concerned about the spiritual welfare of the people in general, gathered to perform a long, continuous chain of penances to counteract the degrading influence of the oncoming age of Kali.] In response to the sages’ request Suta Gosvami repeated from memory the entire Srimad-Bhagavatam, as spoken by Sukadeva to Pariksit.

9—Also, Suta Goswami sometimes responds directly to questions put by Saunaka Rsi, the spokesman for the sages gathered at Naimisaranya.

10—One therefore simultaneously hears two dialogues: 1) between Maharaja Pariksit and Sukadeva Goswami on the bank of the Ganges, and, 2) between the Suta Goswami and Saunaka Rsi, the spokesman for the sages gathered at Naimisaranya.

11—With this understanding of the history of the Bhagavatam, the reader will easily be able to follow its intermingling of dialogues, and events from various sources.

18 Major Puranas Chart

Attached is a mini chart of the 18 major puranas etc.

For confirmation, the chart (should) show all the shloka numbers whence the data was found.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After seeing Kd Atanu and Yajvan naradev as addressed by you I suppose that you have some anger in mind , see anger is how bad ?
    Goswamiji writes that it was anger which compelled Bhagwan Shankar to destroy Kamdeo.
    Saurav pallav madanu nihara, chitwat Kam bhayeu jari chhara.

See what Krsn says…
    Krodhati bhavati sammohah , sammohat smratibhrmah.
    Smritibhramah buddhinash, buddhinashah pranasyati..this is as per my rememberence, so don’t mind as you have read gita 500 times.
    Also note that is pure scientific shloka as it translates…Illusion makes delusion which finally lands to hallucination and then finishing everything .
    Who is jnani and bhakt , he is dear to Krsn, Jnanibhaktirvishishyate .
    Now there is one word Dheer [ Sobre ], Deerastatra na muhyati , means sobre is both jnani and bhakt and above Moha .
    You are very intelligent to choose the name Bhaktajan , pl. make it Bhaktajnan , as Eastern mindJI has suggested me not to advise change in name .

Uncle Sakuni had a 'problem' with Krodha . . .

It is lust only, Arjuna, . . . which is the all-devouring sinful enemy of this world.

tolerate the urges of the material senses and check the force of desire and anger

Those who are free from anger and all material desires, . . . are assured of liberation in the Supreme in the very near future.

Being freed from attachment, fear and anger, being fully absorbed in Me and taking refuge in Me, many, many persons in the past became purified by knowledge of Me—and thus they all attained transcendental love for Me.

There are three gates leading to this hell—lust, anger and greed. Every sane man should give these up, for they lead to the degradation of the soul.

kd gupta mitra,

I am defenseless when you quote gita to me bcause:

Krsna also says,
    And I declare that he who studies this sacred conversation of ours worships Me by his intelligence.

and,

And one who listens with faith and without envy becomes free from sinful reactions and attains to the auspicious planets where the pious dwell.

and

For one who explains this supreme secret to the devotees, pure devotional service is guaranteed, and at the end he will come back to Me.

any laments you have cause me lamentation too,
    your happiness is my repose,
    sarva shivam as tu te,
    bhaktajan

Dear Bhaktajan
    Krsn contains four letters, as it is the abstract of four Vedas .
    As I have described in Vedastra: Vedastras

Thread Information