Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: SELF

Re: SELF

rkpande: lol Everyone's perceptions vary. I don't get that about Atanu. We all come from different backgrounds etc. I was born in a family full of practical jokers and sarcastic wit so many people don't get me. But then I don't get them. It's just the dance of the Lord.

Aum namasivaya

Dear EM,
    I couldn't agree more with you. lol all the way. Dance of shiva, that's it.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    Namasté

Namasté
    I have read the last several posts and what continues to ring in my ear is the wisdom of the kaṭhopaniṣad (2nd vallī, 8th sūtra) ,

One view
    Thought of variously, It ( ātman or SELF) is not truly understood when taught by an inferior person (or nareṇāvareṇa). Yet when taught by one who sees himself not different ( or bahudhā , many parts) from the Real , then no other goal reamains to be attained. for sublter than the subtlesty, it is inaccessable to reasoning.

Another view
    ātman, when taught by an inferior person, is not easily comprehended, because It is diversely regarded by disputants.
    But when It is taught by him who has become one with ātman, there can remain no more doubt about It. Atman is subtler than the subtlest and not to be known through argument.

Said another way, we are blessed when Reality is taught by the muni of enlightened vision. Many on HDF has had this experience, many have not. There is a vast cavern in quality and comprehension between the two.

We do the best we can on HDF to offer keen insights, yet it is like the light of night - lots of stars that try to lighten the sky; but with the dawn, the brightness of the sun (sūrya) emerges to shine on all, the stars rejoice in the fullness of light that comes from the dawn - uṣa.

satyamantra ajanayan uasam - by the Truth in their thoughts (satyamantra) they brought the birth (ajanayan) of the Dawn (uṣasam) - ṛg ( some write ṛk, or rig) ved - 7.76.4

The brightness, brilliance, the Dawn of light and insight of brahman.

words
    uṣa उष - the dawn; in the veda we see Her as the devā of spiritual awakening. ṛg veda 1.20.20 ' Lover of praises O Uṣa, deathless one,
    Which mortal is fit to enjoy thee? O Luminious One, whom does thou attain?'
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 September 2009 at 07:18 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Atman is the Knower.

If a knower knows all things great and small yet does not know what the atman is ---all his work done for temporary goals.

Brahma-Bhuta is there underlying all temporary goals ---while you go about paying your bills.

Nowhere in the daily tabloids and periodicals for same at the corner market are aimed at the Brahma-Bhuta self-realization ---but Brahma-Bhuta state & the atman(knower) is present . . . but the attention to this detail is overlooked by "paying the rent ergo, life's desires".

Yajvan, what is the difficulty?
    1 Serve a superior mentor (guru) ergo, gleen knowledge from the mentor.

2 Japa (harinama) & Divya-smaranam (sastra) & sanga (associate with colleagues of the Mentor),

3 Atmarama (satisfaction of the self without hankering) is a progressive engagement.

4 Sukadeva gosvami repeats the words he heard ---that sets the standard

Always in-want & hankering & divided-mind regarding the set goals to aspire for is the antitheist of Self-realisation.

Self-realisation has one prime-benefit: "Saving loved ones from ruination" Albeit, "Physician heal thy self" comes first ---then, secondly, the old doc later can lead a life as a bonefide Physician.

The whole of the Bhagavata-purana is prompted by a conceited little brahmana-bandhu boy . . . whose precipitated the entire Bhagavata-purana, causing the main character to ask the highest Paramount Question of all time:

Mahäräja Parékñit’s main question was:
    Bhagavata- purana (1.19.37-38) “ . . . I am therefore begging you to show the way of perfection for all persons, and especially for one who is about to die. Please let me know what a man should hear, chant, remember and worship, and also what he should not do. Please explain all this to me.

Çukadeva Gosvämé answered” (Bhäg. 2.1.5):

tasmäd bhärata sarvätmä
    bhagavän éçvaro hariù
    çrotavyaù kértitavyaç ca
    smartavyaç cecchatäbhayam

“Everyone who desires to be free from all anxieties should always hear about, glorify and remember the Personality of Godhead, who is the supreme director of everything, the extinguisher of all difficulties, and the Supersoul of all living entities”.

Yajvan, do you think there is a higher dutiy for a man then to know the proper means of dyng? Are there more important goals to put on a spiritual aspirants’ lsit of things to-do?

BTW, "Nirvana" simply put is, "no qualities" ---some posters ask for scriptural verses to be cited & others ask for "personal testimony" ---I am surprised the simplest transaltion of "Nirvana" was omitted.
    Last edited by bhaktajan; 13 September 2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: by a conceited little brahmana-bandhu boy

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté bhaktajan

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post
    Yajvan, what is the difficulty?
    1 Serve a superior mentor (guru) ergo, gleen knowledge from the mentor.

2 Japa (harinama) & Divya-smaranam (sastra) & sanga (associate with colleagues of the Mentor),

3 Atmarama (satisfaction of the self without hankering) is a progressive engagement.

4 Sukadeva gosvami repeats the words he heard ---that sets the standard

Always in-want & hankering & divided-mind regarding the set goals to aspire for is the antitheist of Self-realisation.

Self-realisation has one prime-benefit: "Saving loved ones from ruination" Albeit, "Physician heal thy self" comes first ---then, secondly, the old doc later can lead a life as a bonefide Physician.

Yajvan, do you think there is a higher dutiy for a man then to know the proper means of dyng? Are there more important goals to put on a spiritual aspirants’ lsit of things to-do?

BTW, "Nirvana" simply put is, "no qualities" ---some posters ask for scriptural verses to be cited & others ask for "personal testimony" ---I am surprised the simplest transaltion of "Nirvana" was omitted
    I am at a loss for the question(s) you may be answering within the context of the last ~ 10 posts or so within the theme of this overall string... yet thank you for the effort expended.
    i.e.
    • Serve a superior mentor - okay, but to this, what was the question?
    • Japa - fine, sounds like a plan and worthy of a discussion.
    • Atmarama (satisfaction of the self without hankering) is a progressive engagement - fine.
    • do you think there is a higher dutiy for a man then to know the proper means of dyng?
      - do you wish for me to answer this? how do I connect the dots with the theme?
    • etc. etc.
    You have offered various subject matter (content) worthy of discussion , yet I do not see it in the context of a theme or perhaps the next progressive idea that would fall in line. That is , I see multiple brush stokes in your offers/posts/ideas, yet I do not see the picture you wish to paint (communicate). I miss the continunity, the contiguious POV you offer.

That was the answer to your question of:
    what is the difficulty?
    Others may have 20-20 vision on your offers, for me, I do not.
    Perhaps in a future post I will get what you offer.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Ma priya Pandita Yajvan naradevji,

You wrote: "I do not see the picture you wish to paint"

as a result I am knocked off my seat and fallen to the ground.

Obviously I omited a translated phrase: Divya-smaranam (Remember divine lilas (pastimes) of sastra).

Let us get real! Hindu Dharma BEGINS WITH being a Proud Hindu
    PUTRA.

The Identity of this thread's Title is the "SELF" ---therefore dharma follows in the form of becoming a proper PUTRA or PUTRI.

If the SELF/SOUL of every individual exists and thus preforms their own duties (sva-dharma) ---I thus, remind you from atop the highest pedistal that e-blogging allows, "The Duties of a Good PUTRA" is what I, bhaktajan, posted in Post #76.

It is the standard for being a good and responsible dutiful PUTRA/PUTRI who knows how to value of the Parampara that accorded him/her this present birth.

Yajvan, re-read Post 76 with the nostalgic memories of your provincial Hindu youth and recognise the traditions of your forefather's best wishes.
    Last edited by bhaktajan; 13 September 2009 at 11:11 AM.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namast bhaktajan

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post
    You wrote: "I do not see the picture you wish to paint"

as a result I am knocked off my seat and fallen to the ground.
    I am in hopes your bump is small.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information