Thread: Sanatana Dharma for Kids: Hindu Trinity: Brahma - Sarasvati

Post Sanatana Dharma for Kids: Hindu Trinity: Brahma - Sarasvati

The family was at the dining table. Mummy, and the twins Arvind and Padma, were happy that daddy was home early for dinner. When everybody was seated, mummy served the first course of dinner--puris with potato masala and fresh mango pulp--and took a seat near Arvind. Padma sat near her daddy, who seemed very relaxed that evening.

"Children," began daddy, "today I am going to tell you about our three main gods: Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Together they are known as the Hindu Trinity. Now, tell me what you know about them."

"Daddy, we don't have any classes on our religion at school." Padma said. "We have classes on human values and moral science, where they teach about how to become good citizens of the nation."

"You have forgotton what our grandma taught us when we were in the LKG," said Arvind. "She said Brahma creates the universe, Vishnu maintains it and Shiva destroys it."

"Yea, I remember, but that is not much."

"Don't worry. We shall discuss much more about the Trinity today."

"But dad," Arvind said, "Shiva also saves his devotees. Vishnu destroyed many Asuras. I don't know much about Brahma, except that he only creates everything."

"Always remember that the Trinity are three forms of the one God, Brahman. Therefore their roles are not exclusive. Since the universe and all its beings have to be created first, maintained till their time is up, and then destroyed for the next cycle of creation, we have identified Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva to be in-charge of these three tasks, which are actually done by the one God Brahman."

"Right dad, tell me more about the three Gods."

"Brahma created this universe and its beings. He did it using the Vedas, which the one God Brahman gave him. First he created the universe, its galaxies and solar systems, our solar system, and the earth. Then he populated the earth with nature, the mineral kingdom, the vegetable kingdom and the animal kingdom. And finally, he created mankind, and introduced souls into their next cycle of birth in this world."

"How does Brahma look like, daddy?" said Padma. "We don't have his picture in the puja room."

Daddy had anticipated the question, and had kept his laptap ready on a tall stool near the dining table. Using his left hand, he pressed the Enter key of the system, and a slide-show popped up on the screen, with a picture of Brahma as the first slide.

"Look carefully at this picture," he said. "How many heads does Brahma have?"

"Four," said the children together.

"Don't ask me how a person, even a god, can have four heads. You know that the pictures of our gods are symbolic. Each symbol in a picture represents an aspect or a power of the god. Here, the four heads of Brahma represent the four Vedas. They also represent the four Yugas of time. You know about Vedas and Yugas?"

"Mummy had told us," said Arvind. "There are four Vedas: rig, yajur, sama and atharva."

"And the four Yugas are," rattled Padma, not to miss her chance. "Satya Yuga, Treta Yuga, Dwapara Yuga and Kali Yuga. We are in the Kali Yuga. Krishna was born in the Dwapara Yuga, and Rama in Treta Yuga."

"You will make a good secretary," said Arvind.

"No, I will be the boss," said Padma.

"Very good! Your mummy does a nice job, teaching you all this."

Mummy smiled. "I teach them Bhakti, by stories, like their grandma. And you teach us all Jnana."

"So Brahma's heads represent the Vedas and the Yugas. Look again. What about his hands?"

"He has four hands," said Padma, "and they hold different objects."

"Wait, I know some of those objects," said Arvind. "One is a rosary or a japa mala, and another, a bunch of grass..."

"The other two are a kamandalam or water pot and a ladle" said Padma, interrupting him.

"The rosary or the japa mala denotes the passage of time. The grass is known as the kusa grass and the ladle as sruk. They are tools used in a Veda Yagna, the vedic fire ceremony. The kamandalam signifies the waters of space using which Brahma created the world. In some pictures, Brahma holds a book of palm leaves that represent knowledge."

"Dad," said Arvind, "two of his hands show some sign. What are they?"

"The signs are called mudras. As with the mudras of Bharata Natyam, they have meanings. The sign Brahma shows with his right hand, with the palm facing up and fingers raised is called the abaya mudra, a sign that assures protection. The other sign in which he appears to give something, is called the varada mudra, meaning that Brahma is ready to give boons to those who seek them."

"I heard that the swan or hamsa is Brahma's vehicle," said Padma. "But it is not in this picture."

"Right. Hamsa is the vehicle of Brahma. It represents the peace and happiness a person gets from yoga and meditation. It also represents the shvasa gati, the flow of our breath. When your breath is long and slow like the sailing of a swan, you would get immense peace of mind."

"Valarmathi's cousin studies in the USA. In his school there they teach yoga and meditation."

"I shall send you both to a yoga and meditation class this summer, right? Now, we need to talk about--" said daddy, fingering the keyboard, and the next picuture displayed was Sarasvati.

"We know about Sarasvati," said Padma. "Wife of Brahma, goddess of learning, knowledge and wisdom..."

"Sitting on a white lotus," interrupted Arvind. "And playing Veena."

"She is extremely beautiful," joined mummy. "And like her husband, holds a japa mala and a book in her two hands, while the other two are playing the veena."

"Hey, you missed the peacock!" said Arvind. "What's that peacock for, dad?"

Daddy was almost stumped. He scratched his head for a moment, trying to recollect what he had read. Then he said, "Yea, I remember now. The peacock is a bird of moods. He is eagerly waiting to be used as a vehicle. But Vani prefers the swan, signifying that we should overcome our moods of fear, anger and indecision in order to acquire knowledge."

"The swan is a bird with a legendary ability, you know children?" said mummy.

"Yes mom," chimed the children. "When you place a mixure of milk and water to a swan, it separates water from milk and drinks only pure milk."

"Like the swan, we have the power to distinguish between right and wrong. This means that we should read the right kind of books and get such knowledge as leads to wisdom."

"Wonderful!" said daddy. "Sarasvati is also the goddess of speech, or vachaa. The name Vani signifies sound and speech. Another name for her is Vakdevi."

In this midst of this interesting discussion, the puris and the masala in the casserole vanished quickly. When mummy served them curd rice, the typical and wholesome dessert of a South Indian dinner, daddy said, "We need to stop now, kids. I have some urgent work to finish. Tomorrow, same time, we shall discuss the other two gods. I am free for the rest of this week, so I can be home early."

"Oh daddy!" said the children, as daddy shutdown his laptop. "But don't disappoint us tomorrow."

Re: Sanatana Dharma for Kids: Hindu Trinity: Brahma - Sarasvati

Namaste Saidevo,

This is a beautiful presentation, but I have one question, will children understand what is told over here ?

Vannakkam Sriram: Just as a point here, please have a look at the date of the posts you are responding to. This one was nearly 9 years old. In this case your question does seem still relevant, but often we do have people responding to ancient posts, with no hope of generating a discussion.

In my personal experience (I was a teacher for 30 years) children need extreme relevancy, or they will tune it out. Much of what we teach them isn't relevant to their lives, so we lose them. Each child is an individual, though, so a good teacher will adjust their teaching to the way the child learns, especially in the one to one scenario, as it is with parent/child.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 01 May 2015 at 06:46 AM.

Namaste Eastern mind,

I will look at the dates before responding thank you.

Thread Information