Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reality

The Seer and the Seen

Namaskar Ram Ji,

Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    In the above model, we can define real and unreal as follows:

If the viewer is in the xyzt space, and the object is in the xyzt space, the object is real with respect to the viewer.

If the viewer is in the xyzt space, and the object is in the xyut space, the object is both real and unreal with respect to the viewer.(sometimes encountered in advaita)

If the viewer is in the xyzt space, and the object is in the uvwt space, the object is unreal with respect to the viewer.

Note: Space is used only with the idea of "degree of freedom" and not as such because the 5th dimension is unimaginable to us anyway..
    Ram Ji, who is the viewer, what is space and what is object? Does space and object exist apart from the viewer (seer in our language)?

Ram Ji, the logicians have not had the grace of studying the upanishads. They all work with concepts of jagrat state alone.

EXISTENCE OR CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE ONLY reality. Consciousness plus waking we call waking. Consciousness plus sleep we call sleep. Consciousness plus dream we call dream. Consciousness is the screen on which all the pictures come and go. The screen is real, the pictures are shadows on it.

The ajata school of Advaita says, ‘Nothing exists except the one reality. There is no birth or death, no projection or drawing in, no sadhaka (aspirant), no mumukshu (one who desires to be liberated), no mukta (one who is liberated), no bondage, no liberation. The One Unity alone exists forever.’ To those who find it difficult to grasp this truth and ask, ‘How can we ignore this solid world we see all around us?’ the dream experience is pointed out and they are told, ‘All that you see depends on the seer. Apart from the seer there is no seen.’ This is called drishti-srishti vada, or the argument that one first creates out of his mind and then sees what his mind itself has created.

To those who cannot grasp even this and who further argue, ‘The dream experience is so short, while the world always exists. The dream experience was limited to me. But the world is felt and seen not only by me but by so many and we cannot call such a world nonexistent,’ the argument called srishti-drishti vada is addressed and they are told, ‘God first created such and such a thing out of such and such an element and then something else and so forth.’ That alone will satisfy them. Their minds are not otherwise satisfied and they ask themselves, ‘How can all geography, all maps, all sciences, stars, planets and the rules governing or relating to them, and all knowledge be totally untrue?’ To such it is best to say, ‘Yes. God created all this and so you see it.’ All these are only to suit the capacity of the hearers. The absolute can only be one.

There is first the white light, so to call it, of the Self, which transcends both light and darkness. In it no object can be seen. There is neither seer nor seen. Then there is also total darkness (avidya) in which no objects are seen. But from the Self proceeds a reflected light, the light of pure mind (manas), and it is this light which gives room for the existence of all the film of the world, which is seen neither in total light nor in total darkness, but only in the subdued or reflected light. From the point of view of Jnana (Knowledge) or the Reality, the pain seen in the world is certainly a dream, as is the world, of which any particular pain like hunger is an infinitesimal part. In the dream also you yourself feel hunger.

The seen is simply not there in absence of the seer and when one begins questioning where this seer is, no material being is found.

MIND IS A WONDERFUL FORCE INHERENT IN the Self. That which rises in this body as ‘I’ is the mind. When the subtle mind emerges through the brain and the senses, the gross names and forms are cognized. When it remains in the Heart, names and forms disappear.... If the mind remains in the Heart, the ‘I’ or the ego which is the source of all thoughts will go, and the Self, the Real, Eternal ‘I’ alone will shine. Where there is not the slightest trace of the ego, there is the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    What is the degree of freedom of Isvara in advaita?
    What is the degree of freedom of Niguna Brahma in advaita?

That should be the definitions for absolutely reality....all above defintions are relative.

Brahman is known as avimukta. And Iswara is not different from Self.
    Last edited by atanu; 13 April 2006 at 02:10 PM.

*********As far as the Adwaitin logic of real and unreal, it would seem to me that monism is nothing but Buddhism rehashed in which the world and everything else is relegated to the void or illusion. That is why it can be referred to as the philosophy of illusion. Thus for the strict Advaitin or Buddhism there is no reality or reality to reality. It is all false. Thus from their point of view even an argument must necessarity be false or illusiory********************

Namaskar

It is not at all correct to say that advaitins of the Shankara school deny the existence of the world, or that they call it unreal. On the other hand, it is more real to them than to others. Their world will always exist whereas the world of the other schools will have origin, growth and decay, and as such cannot be real. They only say that the world as ‘world’ is not real, but that the world as Brahman is real. All is Brahman, nothing exists but Brahman, and the world as Brahman is real. The Self is the one Reality that always exists, and it is by the light of the Self that all other things are seen. We forget it and concentrate on the appearance. The light in the hall burns both when persons are present and when they are absent, both when persons are enacting something, as in a theatre, and when nothing is being enacted. It is the light which enables us to see the hall, the persons and the acting. We are so engrossed with the objects or appearances revealed by the light, that we pay no attention to the light. In the waking or dream state in which things appear, and in the sleep state in which we see nothing, there is always the light of Consciousness or Self, like the hall lamp which is always burning. The thing to do is to concentrate on the seer and not on the seen, not on the objects, but on the Light which reveals them.
    Questions about the reality of the world, and about the existence of pain or evil in the world, will all cease when you enquire ‘Who feels the pain'?.
    Without a seer the world and the evils thereof alleged do not exist. The world is of the form of the five categories of sense objects, and nothing else. These five kinds of objects are sensed by the five senses. As all are perceived by the mind through these five senses, the world is nothing but the mind. Is there a world apart from the mind?
    Though the world and consciousness emerge and disappear together, the world shines or is perceived only throughthe consciousness. That source wherein both these arise and disappear, and which itself neither appears nor disappears, is the perfect Reality.

And at shivoadvaita all isms are ONE only, what to talk of Baudha and Advaita.

Namaskar,

Obviously Sudarshan Ji's concept of reality as per Advaita is only a concept. Rather just the reverse of what Sudarshan ji implies is taught by Advaita. It is the truth -- the Brahman which is apparently sublated by the objectfying senses and not the other way around.

EXISTENCE OR CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE ONLY reality. Yourself is the reality. Before bringing in xyzt and objects one must question and verify one's own reality.

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    I think that relatively to us who are not in Turiya this world is "real". Do we not experience the smell of a rose? Do we not feel the pain if a part of the body is hurt? The smell of a rose is 'real' and the pain of a broken leg is 'real' to 'me' in this space.

satay
    Thanks to Sathy.

I will present a logic presented by scholars as early as 1200 AD regarding mithya unreal.

If I say "Object A is real, world is unreal", it raises one more question whether is phrase is A or fits in the definition of A. If it does not then this phrase fits in the word world thus becomes unreal. Thus goes this phrase is unreal, hence corrolary becomes correct. Object A is unreal and world is real.

In such instances, I would like to add, World is real and there is nothing unrealistic about it.

World changes for ever, hence called Maya - Maya can also mean wonderful. We know we name many Indian women as Maya, not in the meaning of unreal but in the meaning of Wonderful.

Just a point to ponder

Namaskar Ram Ji,

*********All perception in the world have to be relative.**********

Sense perceptions are relative. Each perciever has his own universe.

********So by this concept, the terms real and unreal are just relative.*********

What do you mean exactly? The terms are realtive or the real itself is relative? The real by definition cannot be relative.
    Although, one's concept of the reality is certainly relative, the reality is devoid of concepts --- it is the father of Aham, from whom concepts have sphurana.

Turiya is the ever unchanging one reality.

Regards
    Last edited by atanu; 13 April 2006 at 04:02 PM.

Light Practical Understanding

A little study of buddhist meditation of mindfulness does clear up reality best.

In shrt (my belief):-

All is real. Matter or counciousness. Agamas say that matter and conciousness are one and same brahma .

This keybord I'm typing on is real, the breath I'm taking in.

What is unreal? Ans: How we percieve this reality.
    We don't see through eyes but our mind. And our mind is the seat of many pre conception, past karmas, preferences and ideas. Reality is real, but mind distorts it. Mind is maya - not the physical world! When the mind is silent and we see the world as it is - we see God(an aspect of God, for God is not just viswa).

Only I don't believe that one can make mind silent like that - eg practicing mindfulness. As we will soon discover that the silence is actually a stlighly higer ground in mind itself. The path is through mind (yoga) and not by-passing the mind as some buddhist mindfullness seems to teach. Of course I could be wrong in understanding here.

2 pence.
    Last edited by Singhi Kaya; 13 April 2006 at 04:07 PM.

Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Singhi Kaya
    A little study of buddhist meditation of mindfulness does clear up reality best.

------Only I don't believe that one can make mind silent like that - eg practicing mindfulness. As we will soon discover that the silence is actually a stlighly higer ground in mind itself. The path is through mind (yoga) and not by-passing the mind as some buddhist mindfullness seems to teach. Of course I could be wrong in understanding here.

2 pence.

What is mind? Where is the mind?

Is the mind not silent during deep sleep?

Mind dies in deep sleep - so do we, for we are situated in the mind.

Thinking another way - mind is unreal, it is the maya.

Even if mind dies in deep sleep - the real body does keep working.

--- buttom line we need to try to be silent and follow what's divine and good in us. Philosophizing is a mental exercise too. Though some claim it leads to passing beyond mind too - but I personally feel there are other more effective ways.

Shri Singhi Kaya

Quote Originally Posted by Singhi Kaya
    Mind dies in deep sleep - so do we, for we are situated in the mind.

Thinking another way - mind is unreal, it is the maya.

Even if mind dies in deep sleep - the real body does keep working.

--- buttom line we need to try to be silent and follow what's divine and good in us. Philosophizing is a mental exercise too. Though some claim it leads to passing beyond mind too - but I personally feel there are other more effective ways.
    Namaskar Singhi Mashai

You have chosen an imaginative name. What does it exactly mean? Though from my perspective I understand it as one having a body of Simha --- Durga's vahan.

Though age is not a factor, still for a 27 year old, you are spiritually advanced. Scriptures, philosophies, arguments are all sattwik hooks. You know one has to some how give to mind something to do. Else, it becomes the demon -- Raktabija (millions of thoughts giving birth to millions more) or Bhandasur (the Ego), whom Durga alone can vanquish.

Now coming to the question of mind. You have said: mind dies in sleep. No, it does not. It just got tired and went to sleep in the lap of the Lord, its Father-Mother. It will come up again and again -- daily morning, and will begin its childish pranks. Even thousand years of Nirvikalpa samadhi does not kill the mind. Only attaining the highest state of Vishnu obliterates it.

Mind is nothing but the Ego -- the I sense falsely thinking the body to be the I. This wrong "i" daily awakes with you in the morning and then proclaims the second and third persons and the world etc.

Knowing that body is non-intelligent is simple. It has no capacity to say: let me live when the death comes. It does not remain in deep sleep though "I" definitely exists.

Knowing the non-existence of mind is a bit more difficult however. The uphill task is that only -- to understand that mind is only a consort of Lord Pragnya and it exists for Lord Pragnya. United with Lord, it is Brahman only. Seperated, it becomes the Ahamkara and the world.

Om

I am still trying to understand your posting as it neither direclty questioning nor directly commenting.

You idea of relative perception is shown false by Advaitins as early as 5 AD. I do not think I should repeat it here for it will go for pages

If you still try to relate, I want to say, I perceive Atanu as Atanu, there is nothing relative about it. If you still try to relate it with absence of Atanu related with presence of Atanu, then this goes with perpetual interception. I can explain this if this is what you want to hear

I never said real is relative. I was just countering idea of Unreal

Thread Information