Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This made me sick!

Unhappy This made me sick!

Namaste

I've just been sent an email (from my mum) which I felt I should share with the forum community here...I must say it made me feel sick and even a bit angry!

There's a TV programme being shown on tv now (like a soap opera kind of thing), and about half of it is (supposedly) set in India. I thought they captured some aspects of Indian culture quite nicely (albeit often in a fairytaleish manner...as one would expect from a soap opera), more specifically the worshipping of God. Someone decided to put together a slideshow with pictures of what they call the "Real India". I'm unable to post the actual file here as I can't figure out how to edit the Powerpoint file (it's not in English), so I'll just post some of the sentences used there. Bear in mind this slideshow was put together by no less than...guess what, a Catholic bishop. Yeah.

"This country has 1,1 billion inhabitants, 92% of which are considered poor or very poor by the United Nations."

"The streets are filled with rubbish, and there's no hygiene whatsoever in their cooking of food."

"Animals walk and excrete their waste anywhere, even outside people's houses, because many of them are considered gods, like cows."

"Beyond their sumptous monuments, lies the misery caused by the caste system supported by their treacherous, morbid, hypnotising religion."

"The real scenes for 90% of Indians will never be show on this TV show, as their aim is to glamourise the Indian "gods", which have led the country to be one of the most miserable, unhygienic, polytheist countries of the world."

"They believe the Ganges River represents the beginning and end of life, so they'll toss their dead people there. The "gods" rule there. The River is extremely dirty, full of rubbish, waste products and corpses floating by all the time. And people will go and bathe there, drink from there and perform their rituals there, at the margins of that putrefied "god"."

"The United Nations have sent huge sums of money for sewage systems around the river to be built, but religious leaders have denied it, they said the river doesn't need it, because the river is already a god. And as it's a "god", everything can be tossed in it, because as a "god" it has the power to cleanse itself without our help."

"As such, people and corpses are side by side in their "sacred" river, where they throw their corpses so that the "god" comes and take them."

"Their religion and numberless gods are worthless in guiding those people in the way of good sense, equality and hygiene. We must show them the truth."

"When the time comes, will the Indian "gods" and rituals save you? The Bible says in Hebrews 9:27 that Man is destined to die only once, and then face Judgement. Who can save you from the Final Judgement? What can a guru do for you? Is there any hope for you? The Bible says the salary of sin is death...but God's free gift is the eternal life in Jesus Christ, Our lord. He said I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father unless through Me."
    more

Urgh, I still feel a bit nauseous...

Re: This made me sick!

Vanakkam:

Welcome back to the forums. I remember selling my old Peugeot car to this fundamentalist. When we test drove it, I still had my Murugan picture on the dashboard. Pardon me for saying so, but what a condescending pompous ignorant a.. hole. lol He said, "What's that? A rock? You worship a rock. How stupid is that?" At times like this I almost wish TTA was there. lol again.

What a grumpy old man!

Star, you just have to roll with the punches until you can move out and do what you want with your life. We're all in support of you. Keep looking at Ganesha's smiling face and happy dance.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste Eastern Mind,

Your post brought a smile to my face. I can just imagine this guy saying those exact words in the situation you described. Amazing really.

"You worship a rock, How stupid is that?" HAHAHA...

I can imagine a response from TTA, "You worship a dead body, How stupid is that?"

Though if I were in a similar situation, I would have just laughed at the guy (like you did) thinking, 'you will worship this rock too in another lifetime.'

For Star, Your post is not in alignment with the forum rules as it will create flames on the board though I will allow it here for a few days as your intent seems to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vanakkam:

Welcome back to the forums. I remember selling my old Peugeot car to this fundamentalist. When we test drove it, I still had my Murugan picture on the dashboard. Pardon me for saying so, but what a condescending pompous ignorant a.. hole. lol He said, "What's that? A rock? You worship a rock. How stupid is that?" At times like this I almost wish TTA was there. lol again.

What a grumpy old man!

Star, you just have to roll with the punches until you can move out and do what you want with your life. We're all in support of you. Keep looking at Ganesha's smiling face and happy dance.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by satay; 08 September 2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typos
    satay

Namaste Star,

A month ago this would have made me feel as equally nauseous as you have probably felt. I've come across dozens of similar videos, slides, articles, comments with either the same venomous hatred for "idol-worshippers" or stupendous ignorance on what Indians believe. As to its authenticity on what India is really like, I think a lot of people can easily deduce for themselves that seeing as it comes from a European, Roman Catholic bishop who has most likely never set foot in India, the word "real" in the title "Real India" is probably highly misleading.

Like EM says, roll with the punches! I am just wondering though if your mother sent you that email to show you what kind of fruit-cakes you'll have to face in future, or if it was to goad you back towards Christianity. If it was the latter, I'm not sure she'll do much good convincing you to go back to your old beliefs. :/ The way I see it, it is better that you come across this kind of stuff early on in your pursuit of studying Sanatana Dharma (or whatever other faith you eventually find yourself at peace with), because this world has no shortage of ignorant people who purport to know how and why the universe, life, and everybody and everything in it works. Ironically, these are the exact kind of people who fail to understand themselves. ("Knowing others is wisdom. Knowing yourself is enlightenment." - Lao Tzu)

"their treacherous, morbid, hypnotising religion"
    Sorry, but I just had to quote this little beauty of a quote here because it reminded me so strongly of another religion I'm familiar with... Ah, the irony.

Satay, I was just about to say that. XD
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Satay: Read the words you addressed me as. lol

Namaste

Satay, I'm terribly sorry...I really didn't know! >_< If you'd like me to delete it just let me know, it wasn't my intention whatsoever to spark any sort of religious hatred arguements or anything as such in here, it's such a nice place!

Sunyata, I'm unsure as to what her intentions were...I didn't reply to it and she didn't mention it at dinnertime (though I get a feeling she might when the show is on later, I think...in which case I might have to calmly try and show her she's wrong (or just ignore her :P)...). I googled for that slideshow and the replies to it were frankly creepy, mostly about how "Idol worshippers will forever burn in the dark pits of hell" etc etc.

And..."Easter Mind" got me giggling. :P

namaskar,

We should all be clear that India is a developing country. It is a huge cultural shock for any non-indian who sets foot on it the first time. I know this from very personal experience though I am Indian myself but wife is not.

I am not denying that there is no poverty in India and the traffic is out of control, however, I must say that the poverty situation is getting better. What do you expect from a nation that has been looted of all its material wealth for centuries? The point that I don't get is the obession of non-indians to focus on ills of Indian society. Does it make them feel better when they do this? I wonder...that's the sick part...
    satay

Indeed, Satay...and not only they wanted to focus on the ills of Indian society (as you put it), they go a step further and claim that the reason India is a developing country (though they don't call it that, just "unhygienic" etc.) is because of the "myserable polytheism". It confuses me that so often India gets picked upon, yet there are so many other areas that are behind India as far as "development" (in this context) goes, but those are looked upon as "places to help" rather than "places to complain about". I suppose it must be the "Indian polytheism" (as they call it) factor...strange, sick people. :/ *sigh*

OM.

At least the Bishop is Optimistic. Maybe that letter was written before 9-11.

There are so many new developments in the headlines since —the Bishop's letter could have also been written during Christopher Columbus' time to dissuade Queen Isabel from granting Columbus the funds to explore the New World's riches.

On the Other hand:
    This American continent has 1,1 billion inhabitants, 92&#37; of which are considered poor or very ignorant by the Viewers of the Jay Leno & Jerry Springer Chat Shows."

"The streets are filled with rubbish, and there's no hygiene whatsoever in their cooking of illegal immigrants and ex-convict short-order cooks."

"Animals walk and excrete their waste anywhere, even outside people's houses, because many of them are considered gods, like cow-meat —but local law calls for citizens to pick it up and discard with co-mingled recyclables in any trash can used by its legions of manual street cleaners.

"Beyond their sumptous monuments, lies the misery caused by the banking, insurance & innovative bureaucratic system supported by their treacherous, morbid, hypnotizing lawyers."

"The real scenes for 90% of Indians will never be show on this TV show, as their aim is to glamourise the Mexican drug "Lords", which have led the country to be one of the most miserable, unhygienic, Gang-Banging gansta-Rapping countries north of Rio Grand."

"They believe the Rio Grand River represents the beginning and end of life, so they'll toss their dead people there. The "Tax-Laws" rule there. The River is extremely dirty, full of rubbish, waste products and Mafia victims floating by all the time. And people will go and vote there, Cash cheques from there and perform their pre-football rituals there, at the margins of that putrefied "Bay-Watch-goddesses"."

"The Mysterious impotent United Nations have laundered huge sums of money for sewage systems around the river to be built, but Russian bankers & Western Agri-Busness leaders have denied it, they said the river doesn't need it, because the river is already a under-investigation of W.H.O.; And as it's as taking "Gold-fron an Aztec", everything can be tossed in it, because as a "Super-Fund Site" it has the power to cleanse itself without our help from International-Mega-conglomerates."

"As such, people and corpses and CEOs are side by side in their "sacred" river, where they throw their corpses so that the "Daily Tabloid" takes photographs and takes them."

"Their Factory Farming and numberless Pharmaceutical outlets & Media Advertising & Strip-Clubs are worthless in guiding those people in the way of good sense, equality and hygiene. We must show them the truth."

"When the time comes, will the Indian "Doctors & Professors & Gourmet Chefs & Sages" and Traditions save the mlechas? The Bible says in Hebrews 9:27 that Man is destined to die only once, and then face Judgement. Who can save the mlechas from the Final Judgement? What can a Mega-Church-Charismatic-Pentacostalist guru do for you? Is there any hope for stopping World-War IV? The Bible says the salary of sin is death...but Retirement funds are returning large dividends via war-Bonds plus free gift of the indiscernible network of transient ugra-Karma life. Oh Jesus Christ — I am in it way up over my head onward to the way, and the truth, and the life —to pay my taxes, enjoy and publish more propaganda, while I avoid fathering any more kids."

That reminds me, What the heck is UN up to these days anyway? What a bunch of (you know what)...

Whatever happened to all the money that was pumped through them to Tsunami hit countries? What about the loads of money that supposedly is going to Africa through them?

I don't know but there is something fishy about these guys...
    satay

Thread Information