Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISKCON Translation of Svet Upanishad

ISKCON Translation of Svet Upanishad

ISKCON Translation of Svet Upanishad

The original Sanskrit

tR^itiiyo.adhyaayaH .
    ya eko jaalavaaniishata iishaniibhiH sarvaa.nllokaaniishata iishaniibhiH .ya evaika udbhave sambhave cha ya etad.h viduramR^itaaste bhavanti .. 1..

eko hi RUDRO na dvitiiyaaya tasthu\- rya imaa.nllokaaniishata iishaniibhiH .pratyaN^ janaastishhThati saJNchukochaantakaale sa.nsR^ijya vishvaa bhuvanaani gopaaH .. 2..

vishvatashchaxuruta vishvatomukho vishvatobaahuruta vishvataspaat.h .saM baahubhyaa.n dhamati saMpatatrai\- rdyaavaabhuumii janayan.h deva ekaH .. 3..

yo devaanaaM prabhavashchodbhavashcha vishvaadhipo RUDRO maharshhiH .hiraNyagarbha.n janayaamaasa puurva.n sa no buddhyaa shubhayaa sa.nyunaktu .. 4..

Now read the HK version of the translation.

Chapter 3
    TEXT 1 They who understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the master of the network of maya, who alone, with His potencies, rules all the worlds, and who alone, with His potencies, rules all the worlds, and who alone, with His potencies, rules the all the worlds in their creation and maintenance, becomes immortal.
    TEXT 2 The Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is one without a second, with His potencies rules the worlds. He stays within the living entities. He protects the worlds. He created the worlds and at the last moment He withdraws them.
    TEXT 3 His eyes are everywhere. His faces are everywhere. His arms are everywhere. His feet are everywhere. He, the one Supreme Personality of Godhead, breathed life into they who have two arms on the land and they who have wings in the sky.
    TEXT 4 May the omniscient Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is the creator and protector of the demigods, and who in the beginning fathered the demigod Brahma, give us good intelligence.

And so it goes. Wherever, Rudra or Siva appears, the translation says “The Supreme Personality of God Head”. This would be fine except that in translation of the Gita, HK followers introduce Lord Siva as a demi god. Either these translations are divine work of God, to keep away the impure and the lusty, or these works are of people fuelled by such jealousy that they do not cavil at changing scriptures. And there is another Gaudiya version also, where Rudro word is replaced by maha prabhu or Chaitanya.

Below is Ramakrishna Math version, where Rudra is replaced by the word heaven. This is better and correct, since Dauyus (heaven) and Rudra are both said to be the father of Rudras and Maruts in Rig Veda.

III-1: It is the self-same One who exists alone at the time of creation and dissolution of the universe that assumes manifold powers and appears as the Divine Lord by virtue of His inscrutable power of Maya. He it is that protects all the worlds and controls all the various forces working therein. Those who realize this Being becomes immortal.[/font]

III-2: He who protects and controls the worlds by His own powers, He – Rudra – is indeed one only. There is no one beside Him who can make Him the second. O men, He is present inside the hearts of all beings. After projecting and maintaining all the worlds, He finally withdraws them into Himself.[/font]

III-3: Though God, the creator of heaven and earth, is one only, yet Heaven is the real owner of all the eyes, faces, hands and feet in this universe. It is Heaven who inspires them all to do their respective duties in accordance with the knowledge, past actions and tendencies of the various beings (with whom they appear to be associated).[/font]

III-4: May Heaven, who created the gods and supports them; who is the origin also of the cosmic soul; who confers bliss and wisdom on the devotes, destroying their sins and sorrows, and punishing all breaches of law – may Heaven, the great seer and the lord of all, endow us with good thoughts.[/font]

Below is a translation, which retains the words as it is.
    Chapter III

1 The non—dual Ensnarer rules by His powers. Remaining one and the same, He rules by His powers all the worlds during their manifestation and continued existence. They who know this become immortal.

2 Rudra is truly one; for the knowers of Brahman do not admit the existence of a second, He alone rules all the worlds by His powers. He dwells as the inner Self of every living being. After having created all the worlds, He, their Protector, takes them back into Himself at the end of time.

3 His eyes are everywhere, His faces everywhere, His arms everywhere, everywhere His feet. He it is who endows men with arms, birds with feet and wings and men likewise with feet. Having produced heaven and earth, He remains as their non—dual manifester.

4 He, the omniscient Rudra, the creator of the gods and the bestower of their powers, the support of the universe, He who, in the beginning, gave birth to Hiranyagarbha—may He endow us with clear intellect!

May Rudra Shiva give us a passionless clear intellect.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 10 September 2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Proper spacing
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Re: ISKCON Translation of Svet Upanishad

Atanu,

Svet Upanishad verses that you found!
    I am a Hare Krishna and I have not found the verses you posted.
    It must be new!
    Some scholar and/or sanyasin or babaji pundita has translated the whole of this Upanisad? I can't wait to see it! I will read it from cover to cover ---I like to then take notes too.

below is the only few verse [so far] that I've found that still confound your POV.

Please read the verses below and kindly inform me of any deivation from proper transliteration.

Įvetäįvatara Upaniņad (3.12–13):
    mahän prabhur vai puruņaų
    sattvasyaiņa pravartakaų
    su-nirmaläā imäā präptim
    éįäno jyotir avyayaų
    aėguņöha-mätraų puruņo ’ntar-ätmä
    sadä janänäā hådaye sanniviņöaų
    hådä manéņä manasäbhik˙pto
    ya etad vidur amåtäs te bhavanti
    “The Supreme Personality of Godhead becomes the Puruņa to initiate the expansion of this cosmos. He is the perfectly pure goal that yogés strive to reach, the effulgent and infallible ultimate controller. Measuring the size of a thumb, the Puruņa is always present as the Supersoul within the hearts of all living beings. By exercising proper intelligence, one can realize Him within the heart; those who learn this method will gain immortality.”

Įvetäįvatara Upaniņad (6.23):
    yasya deve parä bhaktir
    yathä deve tathä gurau
    tasyaite kathitä hy arthäų
    prakäįante mahätmanaų
    “Unto those great souls who have implicit faith in both the Lord and the spiritual master, all the imports of Vedic knowledge are automatically revealed.”

According to Vaisnava acaryas the Absolute Truth would be incomplete without personality.

Vedanta-sutra:
    athato brahma-jigyasa "Let us enquire into the Absolute Truth"
    +
    Vedanta-sutra:
    janmady asya yatah "Absolute Truth is that from which everything is emanating"
    =
    The Absolute Truth, the source of all cosmic variety (living beings, planets, space, time, etc) must also possess the qualities that are emanating--- one such quality is 'Personality'.

IOW,

The Absolute Truth, or the complete whole (om purnam), must possess all the qualities of its parts.

similarly,

Bliss (ananda) exists only in relationship of between persons (Vedanta-sutra 1.1.12 anandamayo'bhyasat)

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post
    Atanu,
    Svet Upanishad verses that you found!
    I am a Hare Krishna and I have not found the verses you posted.
    It must be new!

Dear Bhakta,

That is why I said: Open your eyes, ears, and mind a bit. Do not be a literal servant. They have not given you anything that you have to resort to falsehood and lies.You must be innocent and it is ISKCON trap. It is a missionary trap.

Look for sanskrit verses of the Upanishad and you will find them. Please compare with an open mind. Please consider my genuine request to see for yourself. Do not believe Atanu or do not believe ISKCON --- just for a few moments and check for yourself.

That is the meaning of Self --- it must not be made the servant .

Free the Self.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Dear Bhakta

If you are truthful that you have not seen the original verse as below, then you are either innocent or you are dogmatic -- sticking to your view without knowing.:

tR^itiiyo.adhyaayaH .
    ya eko jaalavaaniishata iishaniibhiH sarvaa.nllokaaniishata iishaniibhiH .ya evaika udbhave sambhave cha ya etad.h viduramR^itaaste bhavanti .. 1..

eko hi RUDRO na dvitiiyaaya tasthu\- rya imaa.nllokaaniishata iishaniibhiH .pratyaN^ janaastishhThati saJNchukochaantakaale sa.nsR^ijya vishvaa bhuvanaani gopaaH .. 2..

vishvatashchaxuruta vishvatomukho vishvatobaahuruta vishvataspaat.h .saM baahubhyaa.n dhamati saMpatatrai\- rdyaavaabhuumii janayan.h deva ekaH .. 3..

yo devaanaaM prabhavashchodbhavashcha vishvaadhipo RUDRO maharshhiH .hiraNyagarbha.n janayaamaasa puurva.n sa no buddhyaa shubhayaa sa.nyunaktu .. 4..

I genuinely request of you to rest a moment, take Lord's name, and check for yourself. Do not get lost in purports. Do not get bonded to purports. Purports cannot give you the freedom that you are seeking.

Om

plescibo comrade ---You are a well-wisher like very few are.

Thank you.

I have indeed been smashed over and over again by ISKCON.
    I am most fallen and undeserving of all the causeless mercy that I have recieved from senior vaisnavas.

I must be one of the Door keepers that will greet you with fragrant flowers and insense to announce your arrival.

I am self-realised. Oh yes I am!

Unfortunately it does not provide me with any means of paying the bills.

But I do disagree with you at least on one point: "Atanu, the soul must be made the servant ---by the carrot or the stick"

Living a posh life will cause one to falsely think that they are not a servant ---but you must serve the masters all.

Without reposing service to another there cannot be 'repose (ananda)'.

your insider at the ISKCON party nearest your abode,
    bhaktajan

me jara suhrt, ma sucah, ma sucah

plescibo comrade ---You are a well-wisher like very few are.

But I do disagree with you at least on one point: "Atanu, the soul must be made the servant ---by the carrot or the stick"
    Namaste sir,

You have given a fitting reply. Yes. Soul was born a servant and must remain a servant, even if it means adhereing to a few falsehoods.

But sir, may I respectfully enquire: Who should wield the carrot and the stick?

I know you are the most knowledgable in the forum, so I have faith that you will be able to clear away all my doubts.

Regards

Jai Bhagawan

Living a posh life will cause one to falsely think that they are not a servant ---but you must serve the masters all.

Without reposing service to another there cannot be 'repose (ananda)'.

your insider at the ISKCON party nearest your abode,
    bhaktajan

me jara suhrt, ma sucah, ma sucah

OK, Bhaktajan ji, What do you consider as the Soul here? Define soul!

I cannot accept the Idea of servant or slave, for God should never have a motive to create a servant or slave soul.

Ananda can be obtained even by meditating, is that not Ananda?

ISKCON has truly been one of the most incorrect interpreter of Texts. I have recently bought Isa Upanishad from ISKCON store and all I found was Godhead Godhead and Godhead. Deva is not offensive, but Demi God sure is, especially for Shiva devotees like me.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    Namasté bhaktajan,

I am self-realised. Oh yes I am!
    The gravity of what you say is of great import to all those reading here on HDF. Please share your experiences of what you perceive as one that is grounded in kaivala¹.

My one question would be that of ṛtam-bharā prajñā. For those reading that may not be familiar with this term , let me offer the following:

Yogadarśana of Patañjali ( the yoga-sūtra-s) Chapt 1, 48th sūtra, offers tam-bharā prajñā. This means essential cognition i.e. how one perceives the world, is filled with truth. Lets look a bit deeper:
    ṛtam ऋतम्+ bharā भर+ prajñā प्रज्णा= ṛtam (luminous, insightful unalloyed, pure) + bharā ( bearing, bestowing, carrying) + pra (great) + jñā ( to know). One perceives only the Truth. Some call this unalloyed, unvarnished great truth and becomes a part of one's daily vision. This is the practical value of knowledge + experience.

That said, for one grounded in the SELF, only truth can be viewed. Help us understand your experiences then bhaktajan, on how you use this natural state of Being for your continued growth ( and for others).

praṇām

words
    kaivala कैवल also written kevala केवल - is simple , pure , uncompounded , unmingled ; perfect unity;
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 September 2009 at 11:22 AM.
    ā¤¯ā¤¤ā¤¸āĨā¤¤āĨā¤ĩā¤‚ ā¤ļā¤ŋā¤ĩā¤¸ā¤ŽāĨ‹ā¤Ŋā¤¸ā¤ŋ
    yatastvaᚁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Yajvan,
    your eleoquence has captured the essence & the Standard of Measure very nicely ---[I did notice a lack of cited scriptural injunction].

"The world, is filled with truth + One perceives only the Truth. = part of one's daily vision."

Here is the scoop on the Story:

A Worker has 'Two Sides' of the Street to negotiate [ref: isopanisad, sambhutim ca vinasam] along with 'Works' thus :

SIDE ONE
    Remember THESE Sri Krishna’s Gita instructions as follows,

1.“Now I shall explain . . .”,
    3. Sri Krishna’s “Aham(s)”
    2.“‘Is very dear to me(s)’ ”

Here's some "Now I shall explain(s) . . .":
    2.39 Thus far I have described this knowledge to you through
    analytical study. Now listen as I explain it in terms of working
    without fruitive results.
    4.16 . . . Now I shall explain to you what action is, knowing
    which you shall be liberated from all misfortune.
    7.1 Now hear, O son of Prtha, how by practicing yoga in full
    consciousness of Me, with mind attached to Me, you can know Me in full,
    free from doubt. 2 I shall now declare unto you in full this knowledge,
    both phenomenal and numinous. This being known, nothing further shall
    remain for you to know.
    8.11 . . . I shall now briefly explain to you this process by which one may attain salvation.
    8.23 . . . I shall now explain to you the different times at which, passing away from this world, the yogi does or does not come back.
    9.1 . . . I shall impart to you this most confidential knowledge and realization, knowing which you shall be relieved of the miseries of material existence.
    10.1 . . . I shall speak to you further, giving knowledge that is better than what I have already explained.
    10.19 Yes, I will tell you of My splendorous manifestations . . .
    11.5 . . . see now My opulences, hundreds of thousands of varied divine and multicolored forms.
    11.47 . . . No one before you has ever seen this primal form, unlimited and full of glaring effulgence.
    13.4 Now please hear My brief description of this field of activity and how it is constituted, what its changes are, whence it is produced, who that knower of the field of activities is, and what his influences are.

Here's some 'Ahams':
    7.8I am the taste of water, the light of the sun and the moon, the
    syllable Om in the Vedic mantras; I am the sound in ether and ability
    in man.
    7.9I am the original fragrance of the earth and I am the heat in
    fire. I am the life of all that lives,and I am the penances of all
    ascetics.
    7.10Know that I am the original seed of all existences, the intelligence of the intelligent, and the prowess of all powerful men.
    7.11I am the strength of the strong, devoid of passion and desire.
    I am sex life which is not contrary to religious principles.
    7.12Know that all states of being--be they of goodness, passion
    or ignorance--are manifested by My energy. I am, in one sense, everything, but I am independent. I am not under the modes of material nature, for they, on the contrary, are within Me.

10.20I am the Supersoul seated in the hearts of all living entities. I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings.
    10.21Of the Adityas I am Visnu. Of lights I am the radiant sun. Of the Maruts I am Marici. Among the stars I am the moon.
    10.22Of the Vedas I am the Sama Veda. Of the demigods I am Indra, the king of heaven. Of the senses I am the mind. In living beings I am the living force [consciousness].
    10.23Of all the Rudras I am Lord Siva. Of the Yaksas and
    Raksasas I am the Lord of wealth [Kuvera]. Of the Vasus I
    am fire [Agni]. Of mountains I am Meru.
    10.24Of priests know Me to be the chief, Brhaspati. Of generals
    I am Kartikeya. Of bodies of water I am the ocean.
    10.25Of the great sages I am Bhrgu. Of vibrations I am the
    transcendental “Om”. Of sacrifices I am the chanting of
    the holy names [japa]. Of immovable things I am the
    Himalayas.
    10.26Of all trees I am the banyan tree. Of the sages among the
    demigods I am Narada. Of the Gandharvas I am
    Citraratha. Among perfected beings I am the sage Kapila.

Here's some 'Is very dear to me(s)’:
    Bg 7.17 . . . one who is in full knowledge and who is always engaged
    In pure devotional service is the best. For I am very dear to
    him, and he is dear to Me

Bg 12.13-14 One who is not envious but is a kind friend to all living
    entities, who does not think himself a proprietor and is free
    from false ego, who is equal in both happiness and distress,
    who is tolerant, always satisfied, self-controlled, and
    engaged in devotional service with determination, his mind
    and intelligence fixed on Me—such a devotee of Mine is
    very dear to Me.
    Bg 12.15 He for whom no one is put into difficulty and who is not
    disturbed by anyone, who is equipoised in happiness and
    nhdistress, fear and anxiety, is very dear to Me.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

(+) Plus

SIDE TWO
    To the above add the un-nerving ghastly ---[BTW, this causes & grounds the determination to be renounced in all regards] constant insight that all living beings and especially friends, relatives and neighbors and teenagers and the elderly and the refugees are ALL SUFFERING LIKE FOOLISH RASCALS DOPES DESTINED FOR MORE UNLIMITED SUFFERING AS TIME MARCHES ON.

Hear is some wisdom:
    "Before enlightenment, Chop wood & carry Water; After enlightenment, Chop wood & carry Water"

(+) Plus

Works
    Be a wellwisher of all ---from ones own vantage-point via performing your daily alloted duties 'the best you can do' ---it doesn't matter what kind of occupational duties you are engaged in along as you do the utmost conscientious First-Rate workmenship ---later prepare for old age to preform "Prayascitta tapasya(s) [penance/contrition]" so as not to die as a kept pet but as a conscious devotee.

wishing well many times causes head-aches,
    Bhaktajan

Thread Information