Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiritual ego.

Spiritual ego.

Aum. Prostrations to Vinayaka, Lord of Obstacles.

I'm starting this thread in hopes of gaining insight on how to help myself, and perhaps others to self-observe when we are acting with ego, rather than confidence, or non-attachment. I've been accused (falsely or spot-on, yet to be determined) of having one.

A couple of quotes from my Guru on it.

"There is no greater barrier on the path than the spiritual ego."
    And in passing about a fellow soul. "Oh, he's so proud of his humility."

So what are the signs that tell you that you are acting egotistically versus just confidently, or with a refined intellect?

Here's an example. A man walks into a temple. He prostrates full out South Indian style in front of God for a full minute.

One person observing is thinking, " Wow, such devotion, such sincerity of worship. He must be a wonderful family man."

Another person is thinking. "What a show-off! Every time he comes here, he does that. He thinks he's the greatest devotee ever! Betcha he goes home and beats his wife and kids."

So, whats the deal here?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Spiritual ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    "There is no greater barrier on the path than the spiritual ego." ---------------So, whats the deal here?
    Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM,

I feel that the term 'spiritual ego' is a misnomer. Ego is spiritual only. Has anyone seen material ego? Ego is an idea made of ignorance, which is diametrically opposite of truth. When ego is known as ignorance, actions flow automatically, whether harsh or sweet, whether creative or destructive -- does not matter.

Katha Upanishad

2-I-9. On that from which the sun rises and in which it sets, are fixed all the gods. None ever goes beyond that. This verily is that (thou seekest).
    2-I-10. What indeed is here is there; what is there is here again. Whoso here sees as though different, passes from death to death.
    2-I-11. By mind alone is this attainable; there is no difference here whatsoever. Whoso here sees as though different, passes from death to death.
    2-I-12. The Purusha, of the size of a thumb, dwells in the body. (Realizing Him as) the Lord of the past and the future, one does not (henceforward) want to protect oneself. This verily is that (thou seekest).
    2-I-13. The Purusha of the size of a thumb is like a smokeless flame and is the Lord of the past and the future. He certainly exists now and shall certainly exist tomorrow. This verily is that (thou seekest).
    2-I-14. As rain-water fallen on a mountain ridge runs down the rocks, so does one seeing the selves differently run after them alone.
    2-I-15. As pure water poured into pure water remains the same only, so does the Self of the thinker who knows thus become, O Gautama.
    ---
    2-II-8. This Purusha who is awake when all are asleep, creating all things cherished, is certainly pure; that is Brahman; that is called the Immortal. All worlds are strung on that; none passes beyond that. This verily is that (thou seekest).
    2-II-9. Just as fire, though one, having entered the world, assumes a separate form in respect of every form, so does the in-dwelling Self of all beings, though one, assume a form in respect of every form, and is outside it.
    2-II-10. Just as wind, though one, having entered the world, assumes a separate form in respect of each form, so does the in-dwelling Self of all beings, though one, assumes a form in respect of every form and is outside it.
    2-II-11. Just as the sun, which is the eye of the entire world, is not tainted by the external impurities seen by the eyes, so also, the in-dwelling Self of all beings, though one, is not tainted by the sorrows of the world, It being external.
    2-II-12. Eternal happiness belongs to the intelligent – not to others – who realize in their hearts Him who is one, the controller and the in-dwelling Self of all beings, and who makes the one form manifold.
    2-II-13. Whoso among the intelligent realize the Self in the (inner space of the) heart as the eternal among the ephemeral, the consciousness among the conscious, who, though one, dispenses the desired objects to many, to them belongs eternal peace, not to others.
    Since you invited opinions, here is mine. Ego only sees ego; and judges the actions, bemoans the past and worries about the future. The Jnani, it is said, exists amidst actions, knowing them to be play of Gunas. The Self is all there is -- where the ego from?

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 12 September 2009 at 12:24 PM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaste EM,

I have a little difficulty in understanding this term, "Spiritual Ego". Do you mean having an inflated ego with the idea, "I am more spiritual than others" ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Aum. Prostrations to Vinayaka, Lord of Obstacles, if this is the submission, it is not ego then it is easygo always .
    If patient needs 1mg. why to give him 100mg.
    We are thankful to those great Swamyjis who have added no. to our religion .
    Ramcharitmanas’s two lines suffice the purpose, why to go for shruti…

Subh aru asubh karam anuhari,ish det phal hriday vichari.
    Karay jo karam pau phal soi,nigam neeti asi kah sab koi..

World needs disciple and not the guru this time.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste EM,

I have a little difficulty in understanding this term, "Spiritual Ego". Do you mean having an inflated ego with the idea, "I am more spiritual than others" ?

OM
    Pranaam Devotee ji,

I think EM was being carefull in his choice of Words .But , i think he would not disagree with what you mentioned.Inflated ego clouds judgement and drives one away from spirituality.

This is a very interesting thing you have raised. Acting in any way whether devotionally or egotistically, is carried out by the Ego. The ego allows us to act in the sub-lunar world. To act spiritually is the same as acting obnoxiously. The important distinction, that transcends action, is ego-identification. Identified with your bodily needs while engaged in the act of worshipping God, is in reality worship of the body. Or on the other hand, identifying the ego with a higher force symbolised and corporealised as a God while acting in a obnoxious or material way is in reality higher worship.

Sankhya has been useful for me in understanding the ego. Ahamkara in Sankhya i view as a sort of slider that can move up and down the tattvas, depending on what you identify with. But this slider is not a fixed point but a beam that widens as you ascend, so that the higher you go the lower and deeper you see.

So it is actually necessesary to become in the end a supreme egotist, as God is the BIG "I"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste EM,

OM
    Yes, this is what I meant. I would say 'athletic ego' for an athlete who has great skills, but constantly brags about them. Or 'intellectual ego' for a person who knows a lot of big words and loves to toss them about just to prove he's 'smarter' than the rest of us.

Below the stage or experience of Self-realisation, we all have ego. But my question had to do with how we can understand (in practical ways, simple words, not through reading complicated scripture) when we ourselves are acting out of ego rather than a true commitment to seva. This within the realms of character development to further ourselves along the true path.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté EM,

I have very little to offer on this subject because ego ( from my observation) is so fleeting. Sometimes its a freind, other times a foe.
    I have found by aging, this has contributed to dampening the effects of ego; and I have seen this in others.

I have been applying quote two below the best I can without straining - yet that too is a pickle, as you try = effort = doing, and the instuction is to expect nothing, perfectly.

Spiritual practices help us move from identifying with the ego to identifying with the soul. Old age does that for you too. It spiritualizes people naturally - baba rām das

The 'skill' in spiritual practice is to expect nothing - perfectly nothing. You will then see what the ego is when it gets in the way. - a good friend

Yet I have waivered from the question you have posted and hope I have not derailed any forward progress on this matter.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 September 2009 at 03:06 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan:

Actually those are two very reassuring quotes. Sometimes the smallest things turn out best. I too have observed ego lessening with age. Reminds me of the 'young bucks full of p... and vinegar' saying. Wisdom, yes.

Nandri

Aum namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

Something I have been thinking about all this week that is germane to this string - let me see what you think of this.

The Śvetāśvatara Upaniṣad (3rd valli, 8th śloka )
    two translations
    • I have realized this Great Being who shines effulgent like the sun beyond all darkness.
      One passes beyond death only on realizing Him. There is no other way of escape from the circle of births and deaths.
    • I know this mighty Being (Purua) who shines effulgent like the sun beyond darkness. One passes beyond death
      only by knowing Him. There is no other road for obtaining liberation.
    Śvetāśvatara Upaniṣad (3rd valli, 21st śloka )
    two translations
    • I know this undecaying primeval Immanent Self of all, who is omnipresent because of His all-pervasiveness,
      and whom the expounders of Brahman declare to be eternally free from birth.
    • I know this undecaying, ancient, the soul of all who is omnipresent on account of His all pervading nature and whom the knowers of Brahman declare to be free from birth whom the knowers of Brahman proclaim to be eternal.
    The ṛṣi is Śvetāśvatara, from whom this Upaniṣad is named. So, what do we think of this muni's words? Is it bragging? Being bold or stating his accomplishment?

What is of great interest to me, ṛṣi Śvetāśvatara goes on to describe this Being - he rounds-out his personal experience with in-depth knowledge. What more can we do then respect his clarity of mind, and his personal spiritual experience - an exponent of Reality - and learn from him, be in his air.

Another example
    We find this same confidence in the Bṛhadaraṇyaka Upaniṣad, when King Janaka says 'he who is thoroughly proficient in the veda's among you may take these cows' . That is, the King offers 1,000 cows, each having gold, 1/3 ounce or one pada in those days, carried on their horns for this wisdom to be discussed.

Without hesitancy the sage Yajñavalkya tells his śiṣya to gather-up the herd of cows and take them home, end of discussion. The other brāhmaṇa-s took issue with this action ( i.e. hey , not so fast !) , and so begins this kāṇḍa ( or section, appropriately called the Yajñavalkya kāṇḍa ) of questioning this great sage. He outshines all the others in his clarity, insight, personal knowledge of the Infinite i.e. he walks the talk.

This is where I rejoice - if there are those among us that 'know this mighty Being (Puruṣa)' stepping forth and proclaiming this is a boon to us all , ego is not in the formula as I see it.

Bring this knowledge, experience, insight to the forefront and teach those (śiṣya) that are desirous of this knowledge ( mumukṣu) to know and learn in a meaningful way. It will take minutes for those listening to know the ego is not at work via sincerity, clarity and the sattva that comes through this Realized Soul.

If one wishes not to do this , that too is fine, and their proclamation can be that of the infinite silence of Brahman. But (IMHO) you cannot have it both ways. Proclaiming this level of Being as an every day experience, but not assisting others in a meaningful way is having the value of diamonds in your hands, but selling it at the price of spinich.

Those are my views, I could be wrong.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 September 2009 at 04:56 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information