Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: A Personal Library of Hindu Sanskrit Texts Translations

Re: A Personal Library of Hindu Sanskrit Texts Translations

With more than enough Hindu texts to last us many lifetimes, we stop our collections here and consolidate what we have collected into a convenient HTML file as the user-interface to download and read the texts.

I have organized the texts over 100 related folders spread over nine main folders named Sanskrit01 through Sanskrit09. Each of the main folders are of the size of a DVD (less than 4.5 GB), so can be backed up in a DVD after all its contents are downloaded.

Most folder names are in ITRANS-transliterated Sanskrit and might be case-sensitive for users under some operating systems like the Linux. And it would be a tedious task for a user to create these 100-plus folders under the correct hierarchy. I have therefore created a directory tree structure which houses all the folders, placed the HTML file named 0index.html in the topmost folder named HinduTexts and zipped up the entire structure into a file named HinduTexts.rar.

To set up the HinduTexts folders in your system, all you need is to download the rar file to a disk partition (such as C:, D: etc.) that has around 40.0 GB space and then extract the contents into the folder where you have downloaded the rar file. You should use the "extract here" option for this purpose in the context-sensitive menu that pops up when you right-click the HinduTexts.rar file to extract its contents.

This would create the topmost folder named HinduText under your folder with all its subdirectories, with the 0index.html file placed in the HinduText folder. If you need to down the zip utility winrar, check this link: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U..._Download.html

Once the directory tree structure is set up, you need to move any texts you have already downloaded into their appropriate folders indicated by the links in the HTML interface in the Status Line, when you place the mouse pointer on a link. The vertical bars (|) in the HTML file point to download links. In most cases, you might just right-click on them to get the download prompt and use the "Save as..." option to download the text to the topmost folder and then move it to the folder it needs to remain in.

I have uploaded the HinduTexts.rar file to Satay, since HDF facilitates zip files only up to the size of 97 KB. Please obtain it by sending a PM to Satay.

Here is an image of part of the HTML interface:
    HinduTexts.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by saidevo; 11 February 2010 at 06:12 AM.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

parnam saidevo,
    I wanted to thank you for your effort in putting together this library. This is an amazing effort put in by you. I can't even dare to take a guess on the hours of research it has taken for you to do this. Your effort is much appreciated.

Thank you for making HDF part of your effort.

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    With more than enough Hindu texts to last us many lifetimes, we stop our collections here and consolidate what we have collected into a convenient HTML file as the user-interface to download and read the texts.

I have organized the texts over 100 related folders spread over nine main folders named Sanskrit01 through Sanskrit09. Each of the main folders are of the size of a DVD (less than 4.5 GB), so can be backed up in a DVD after all its contents are downloaded.

Most folder names are in ITRANS-transliterated Sanskrit and might be case-sensitive for users under some operating systems like the Linux. And it would be a tedious task for a user to create these 100-plus folders under the correct hierarchy. I have therefore created a directory tree structure which houses all the folders, placed the HTML file named 0index.html in the topmost folder named HinduTexts and zipped up the entire structure into a file named HinduTexts.rar.

To set up the HinduTexts folders in your system, all you need is to download the rar file to a disk partition (such as C:, D: etc.) that has around 40.0 GB space and then extract the contents into the folder where you have downloaded the rar file. You should use the "extract here" option for this purpose in the context-sensitive menu that pops up when you right-click the HinduTexts.rar file to extract its contents.

This would create the topmost folder named HinduText under your folder with all its subdirectories, with the 0index.html file placed in the HinduText folder. If you need to down the zip utility winrar, check this link: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U..._Download.html

Once the directory tree structure is set up, you need to move any texts you have already downloaded into their appropriate folders indicated by the links in the HTML interface in the Status Line, when you place the mouse pointer on a link. The vertical bars (|) in the HTML file point to download links. In most cases, you might just right-click on them to get the download prompt and use the "Save as..." option to download the text to the topmost folder and then move it to the folder it needs to remain in.

I have uploaded the HinduTexts.rar file to Satay, since HDF facilitates zip files only up to the size of 97 KB. Please obtain it by sending a PM to Satay.

Here is an image of part of the HTML interface:
    HinduTexts.jpg
    satay

praNAm SaiDevoji

A million Thanks for this library , the interface, and your translations of GuruvAkyas that you keep providing us with..... Will probably not be enough to express the krtadnyatA that all members here must feel.

I had seen this thread in the beginning and made a note to come back to it.
    So how could I forget this encyclopedic source while asking qns about Rg Veda and hunting for that Mahabharat Site ?

One need not go around town. The VedAs and all that follows is probably right here

This thread should be a sticky somewhere high up.

|| Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

namaste Smaranam.

I am happy with your appreciation of my efforts and that you find the Library useful.

Three-four years back while doing my first English translation of an episode related to KAnchi ParamAchArya, I discovered that I had a flair for bringing out the spirit of the original in the translation, after seeing the appreciation it received. So I decided to have that service as my spiritual mainstay (since it provides mAnasika--in mental realm, satsangha with our gurus) and it gives me AtmatRpti and compensates for my scanty svAdhyAya.

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

namaste saidevoji,
    i want 2 thank u for this library. how 2 get the whole thing,like u said?i sent a PM to the site moderator but recieved nothing.and some of the documents are corrupted.
    Sarva DharmAAn Parityajya

namaste Amith vikram and everyone else.

Perhaps Satay is busy. Here is an alternative.

Those who want to have the HinduTexts.rar file, which is the zipped up version of the directory structure required for the Library along with the HTML interface to download and access the books, may please send me a PM giving their email-id.

After the rar file is received, you may set up the Library in your system with the guidelines I have given in post #41 in bold-faced text. Once the Library is set up, you would need to move the documents you have already downloaded to their related folders.

I normally would like to share my documents through the Website www.scrbd.com, but they don't allow zipped files to be stored in their server. If anyone can't tell me about a free, and reliable host service for zipped files, (where membership and uploading is absolutely free), I can upload the rar tile thereto and members and readers can download it directly therefrom, without the necessity to reveal their email ids to me.

--viShNu purANam

namaste,

have you tried http://byethost.com/index.php/free-hosting.
    it allows all types of files,and is reliable as far as i know.

Thanks Amith.

This is a Website hosting service and it seems to be desirable. What I had in mind is the type of service like the esnips, simply to store different kinds of files (rar, zip files included) and share them with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by amith vikram View Post
    namaste,

have you tried http://byethost.com/index.php/free-hosting.
    it allows all types of files,and is reliable as far as i know.

--viShNu purANam

namaste saidevoji,

may i suggest a different option?
    get a domain with a .cc. its free.
    link this hosting space to that domain name.
    upload any free CMS like joomla to your hosting space and you can have your website itself.

its totally free.

and with so much resources its a really good idea to have a website.
    regards

namaste Amith,

Sorry, I do recall a PM from you but I didn't take any action on it. I was going to email you the file but then lost track of that task. My serious apologies for that.

Sai:
    With the HDF hosting services, I get a free web site account. I have never used that free account and not sure how that works but if you want I can find out and you can have your library site setup there? I think it comes with an ad of the hosting company that's why it's free and that's why I never used it for anything.

Do you want me to find out more about the free account? I don't mind putting it to good use if it is possible to work out the logistics of separate account management etc. I will look into this...
    satay

Thread Information