Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Panchkosha - five layers of existence

Re: Panchkosha - five layers of existence

You are no where , only He is there , see....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqTe2...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste Snip

I agree. I don't think Anandamaya Kosh is something to overcome, like the other layers. Its where we want to be, as you said.

Also, I would think Manomaya Kosha = layer of mind rather than consciousness. Its Anandamaya alone that touches consciousness and hence bliss.

Some very precious conversation here :
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...60&postcount=2

He continued after some time:
    (Stopped anna)You have already won annamaya kosha (physical body)
    (Stopped vaayu)You have already gained control over pranamayakosha (pranic body)
    (Stop mana)Now you can gain control over manomaya kosha (senses and mana)
    (Stop budhi)Then you can gain control over vijnanamaya kosha (buddhi and ahmkara)
    And finally you can be one with the supreme kosha that is anandamaya kosha

When you gain complete control over vijnanamaya kosha,
    Karya, kaarana, ends
    That is the end of buddhi, (sabijam)
    When ahmkara ends its called (nirbija)....

The Taittiriya Upanishad
    http://www.hinduwebsite.com/sacredsc...tiriya.asp#ch3

It says

anna - food as [pUrNa ?] Brahman
    prANa - breath as Brahman
    mana - mind , speech, senses as Brahman
    buddhi/ahamkAr - intellect/understanding as Brahman
    Ananda - bliss as Brahman

"Different from this , which consists of understanding , is the other inner self , which consists of bliss"

There seem to be various ways to attain this bliss.

Jai Sri Krshna
    praNAm
    Dear smaranam,

Please click here to read the reply

]Mohini shakti devi said:

The soul (jiv-atma) is an individual

Brahman is real and contains all time space and elements and souls in manifest and un-manifest states in all finite in infinite ends of the spectrum.

There is only ONE BRAHMAN and it envelopes all and is the origin of all.

Hare Krishna

From the impressions I got reading your posts in this forum, you are a Gaudiya Vaishnava.

I think that sentence is not right from the POV of GV. Brahman, God, is not made up of those things eg. time, space etc.

Krishna in his impersonal form is Space and Time itself.

Read Gita 11.32 Time I am, the great destroyer of the worlds.

However, Krishna in his personal swarup in all his sat cit ananda qualities has his own loka which is Goloka where he immerse himself in his pleasurable rasa, seemingly detached from his impersonal shaktis or energy, like the law of nature, time and space.

Regarding the nature of a jiva with all his five layers, that may be so and thus jiva evolves unto these five layers time and time again and get entangled in the viscious cycle of birth and death. There is no up and down in the viscious cycle, only the potentiality to get off the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jivattatva View Post
    ]

Hare Krishna

From the impressions I got reading your posts in this forum, you are a Gaudiya Vaishnava.

I think that sentence is not right from the POV of GV. Brahman, God, is not made up of those things eg. time, space etc.

Jivatattva Ji,
    I am plain vanilla Hindu, follower of Sanatana Dharma, originally from India. I do not belong to GV Sampradaya as such.
    I did not intend to say that God is made up of these things, may be the translation is coming like that. Another way to look at it is that, the five fold existence is borne out of Brahmana. So in that way God permeates these existence.
    HariH Om!
    Hare Krishna

By the way, Sri Aurobindo of Pondicherry says that there exists a stage of supramental consciousness in between the Vijnanamaya kosha and the Anandamaya Kosha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jivattatva View Post
    ]Mohini shakti devi said:

The soul (jiv-atma) is an individual

Brahman is real and contains all time space and elements and souls in manifest and un-manifest states in all finite in infinite ends of the spectrum.

There is only ONE BRAHMAN and it envelopes all and is the origin of all.

Hare Krishna

Read Gita 11.32 Time I am, the great destroyer of the worlds.

However, Krishna in his personal swarup in all his sat cit ananda qualities has his own loka which is Goloka where he immerse himself in his pleasurable rasa, seemingly detached from his impersonal shaktis or energy, like the law of nature, time and space.

Regarding the nature of a jiva with all his five layers, that may be so and thus jiva evolves unto these five layers time and time again and get entangled in the viscious cycle of birth and death. There is no up and down in the viscious cycle, only the potentiality to get off the cycle.
    Did you miss my Point?

Brahman is conscious. Brahman is a conscious being. Brahman's birth right is to be conscious. I am talking about Krishna. Krishna is the source of Consciousness. Krishna is the First person.

The jiva (Spirit soul) is not the above five layers.

The jiva (Spirit soul) by intelligence can precieve the mercy of MAYA (the five layers) by seeing how Bhagavan Shree Krishna expands His plenary energies inorder to compose the creation where We are engaged. We remove all fear of our predicament by recognizing God's plenary expansion where we are all enscounced.

To get off the cycle is to return to Vaikuntha to return to the pastimes of our spirit souls in the spiritual sky, beyond the encrustment that is the layers of the Brahmanda that our Four-Headed Pita-ma lord Brahma resides along with the luminaries in our blakened night sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohini Shakti Devi View Post
    Did you miss my Point?

Brahman is conscious. Brahman is a conscious being. Brahman's birth right is to be conscious. I am talking about Krishna. Krishna is the source of Consciousness. Krishna is the First person.

The jiva (Spirit soul) is not the above five layers.

The jiva (Spirit soul) by intelligence can precieve the mercy of MAYA (the five layers) by seeing how Bhagavan Shree Krishna expands His plenary energies inorder to compose the creation where We are engaged. We remove all fear of our predicament by recognizing God's plenary expansion where we are all enscounced.

To get off the cycle is to return to Vaikuntha to return to the pastimes of our spirit souls in the spiritual sky, beyond the encrustment that is the layers of the Brahmanda that our Four-Headed Pita-ma lord Brahma resides along with the luminaries in our blakened night sky.
    Exactly......
    Liberation [ Moksha ] is the word everybody has the right to achieve . Nature , animal world and lastly the human has the right for liberation . All scriptural material suggests to follow them with open eyes and ears and thus applying full consciousness .Old Vedas say…Nakam nam nityaniratishayanamokshaparamapadaksharpardhamadishabdvachynakakhyavakunthalokam . This says that without harming anybody including nature or environment and living entities , one feels pleasure experiencing the Almighty in himself , is Liberated in real sense .Krsn in gita says…Yatendriya manobuddhir munir mokshaparaayanah;
    Vigatecchaabhaya krodho yah sadaa mukta eva sah.
    With the senses, the mind and the intellect always controlled, having liberation as his
    supreme goal, free from desire, fear and anger—the sage is verily liberated for ever.
    Once sage Narda asked to Sanatakumars , to preach him about the Almighty and Moksha . Sanatakumars told that these scriptures including Vedas are the matter of tongue , these if not well understood may not lead to proper meaning , therefore the absolute truth is not knowing I am brahma , but to realize the Brahma in oneself and that is real pleasure [ Moksha ] .There is a Vedmantra saying that if somebody does not feel the fear of Almighty in himself has nothing to do with scriptures , may be Vedas too and is never liberated .
    Yastanna ved kimracha karishyati . rig. 1/164/39

Quote Originally Posted by harekrishna View Post
    Jivatattva Ji,
    I am plain vanilla Hindu, follower of Sanatana Dharma, originally from India. I do not belong to GV Sampradaya as such.
    I did not intend to say that God is made up of these things, may be the translation is coming like that. Another way to look at it is that, the five fold existence is borne out of Brahmana. So in that way God permeates these existence.
    HariH Om!
    Hare Krishna

I was not referring to you. The Hare Krishna on my post was a greeting. I was referring to Mohini's sentence especifically her use of word "contain".

Anyway, she explained herself further and I will leave it at that.

Vigyanamaya Kosh has the capability to discern truth and rightful behavior. In spiritual progress, this layer provides the tools necessary to overcome the habits of mind, and not get caught up in the endless cycle of action and reaction to the external events of the world (Sansara)
    अन्योऽन्तर आत्मा विज्ञानमयः । Inside that (Manomaya Kosh), lies the Vigyanamaya Kosh.
    तेनैष पूर्णः । It (Manomaya Kosh) is filled with this (Vigyanamaya Kosh)
    स वा एष पुरुषविध एव । He (Vigyanamaya) is surely of the type of the Purusha.
    तस्य पुरुषविधताम् । Know that (Vigyanamaya) as Purusha.
    अन्वयं पुरुषविधः । He is also known as Purusha.
    तस्य श्रद्धैव शिरः । His head is Shraddha (Devotion).
    ऋतं दक्षिणः पक्षः । His left wing is Ritam (Rightful behavior).
    सत्यमुत्तरः पक्षः । His right wing is Satya (Truth).
    योग आत्मा । Yoga is his sshould.
    महः पुच्छं प्रतिष्ठा । His tail and base is MahaH.

The first pre-requisite for Vigyanamaaya Kosh to experience is to have Shraddha that is devotion. Without devotion and belief that there is God, and related truthful and rightful decisions, it is not possible to progress. That is why with the devotional mind, one must use Ritam and Satyam to break the bondages of mind. This Kosha exists in MahaH space. MahaH is a sphere of existence that was first discovered by Mahachamasya, a Vedic Rishi. This is beyond the three creational existences - Bhu (this earth), BhuvaH ( space between earth and heavens) and SuvaH (heavens). The point being that this sheath of layer is beyond the physical world's existence.
    Because this Kosha provides with the intelligence, it also brings in a sense of false owner ship (Karta), this leads to ego.
    Further it says -
    विज्ञानं यज्ञं तनुते । Vigyana performs the Yagna.
    कर्माणि तनुतेऽपि च । And, it also performs the Karma.
    विज्ञानं देवाः सर्वे । ब्रह्म ज्येष्ठमुपासते । Vigyana is worshipped as best in the form of Brahma by all gods.
    विज्ञानं ब्रह्म चेद्वेद । Treat Vigyana as the Brahma and the Veda.
    तस्माच्चेन्न प्रमाद्यति । This, one must not treat lightly.
    शरीरे पाप्मनो हित्वा । सर्वान्कामान्समश्नुत इति । Leaving sins (Paap) in the body itself, he experiences all its effects (Kama).
    So in this Kosha, Vedas instruct us not to be affected by the experiences of body. These experiences are limited to the lower Koshas, and in this kosha, by not getting the egoistic sense of ownership, the hurtful experiences can be limited.
    HariH Om!
    Hare Krishna

Anandamaya Kosha
    Anandaamaya Kosh is Blissful layer. By acquiring, the capability to discern in Vigyanamaya Kosh, one slowly is able to reduce the effects of disturbing thoughts (KlishTa Vrittis). As the reflection of outwardly world inside the body becomes like that of a reflection onto a still water, true bliss start setting in. Vigyanamaya Kosh has a sense of agency, an egoistic sense of a doer. Self-control and proper discrimination by this agency reduces the rippling effects of Vrittis in Chitta. In Anandamaya Kosh, this sense of agency is gone. One's experience sits in pure stillness full of bliss.
    Taittiriya says -
    अन्योऽन्तर आत्माऽऽनन्दमयः । Inside that (Vigyanamaya Kosh), lies the Anandaamaya Kosh.
    तेनैष पूर्णः । It (Vigyanamaya Kosh) is filled with this (Anandamaya Kosh)
    स वा एष पुरुषविध एव । He (Anandamaya) is surely of the type of the Purusha.
    तस्य पुरुषविधताम् । Know that (Anandamaya) as Purusha.
    अन्वयं पुरुषविधः । He is also known as Purusha.
    तस्य प्रियमेव शिरः । His head is Priyam (Love).
    मोदो दक्षिणः पक्षः । His left wing is Moda (Happiness).
    प्रमोद उत्तरः पक्षः । His right wing is Pramod (Intense happiness)
    आनन्द आत्मा । Anand (Bliss) is his soul.
    ब्रह्म पुच्छं प्रतिष्ठा । His tail and base is Brahma.
    The foundation of this layer is Brahman, who is full of bliss. Pleasure and bliss fill this layer. There are two major (and various minor) divergent opinions of this layer's existence to Brahmana -
    (1) Advaita of Shankara teaches that all the layers of existence including Anandmaya Kosha is Mithya (ie unreal). Once one go beyond even these experiences, the real nature of creation can be experienced.
    (2) Dvaita (of Ramanujacharya) takes this layer and this individual souls to be distinct and blissfully located in Anandamaya Kosha.
    Both agree that Anandamaya Kosh is a blissful existence (beyond the dualities of pain and pleasure).

During various states of Samadhi one can start experiencing the Vigyanamaya and Anandamay layers. Some of these states of Samadhi has been explained in Patanjali Yoga Sutras.
    In Savitarka samadhi one has the idea of I-ness, while in Nirvitarka samadhi this I-ness is dissolved into pure bliss. In Savitarka samadhi
    one is experiencing Vigyanamaya, while in Nirvitarka samadhi the Anandmaya layer is being experienced. Even in Nirvitarka samadhi, there is Sabija (meaning with seed). In this sabeej samadhi, the individual souls is still there, and while it is there, there is birth and rebirth. Beyond this there is Nirbija samadhi, where even this individuality washes away revealing the true nature of Brahmana, and one is now beyond the cycles of birth and rebirth.

HariH Om!
    Hare Krishna

Thread Information