Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tattvas

Tattvas

Hi,

After reading so many posts and views expressed here, i have a feeling that most of the subscribers here are advaitins and very few of them are expressing different school of thoughts. Not to be judgemental but i have a serious concern that what is posted many times here do not follow the classical "Advaita" rather they all exhibit various "new" idea under the belief that it is "Advaita".

So, wouldn't be nice to have a thread where the actual basic tenets of advaita or "Your" belief is shared for the benefit of our readers?

Please follow these before you post responses to this thread..

1. Make sure, you have a reference for your knowledge like Who gave you that knowledge or is it your own wisdom etc.
    2. State that reference if it is not yours... instead of plain shruti text interpretations do provide the "Baasya" ref or any other references of great advaitic acharya or scholars
    3. State what is the basis of your personal inference if it is your personal knowledge after reading Shrutis or updanishad or practicing some "Yoga"

Lets begin...

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post
    Hi,

After reading so many posts and views expressed here, i have a feeling that most of the subscribers here are advaitins and very few of them are expressing different school of thoughts. Not to be judgemental but i have a serious concern that what is posted many times here do not follow the classical "Advaita" rather they all exhibit various "new" idea under the belief that it is "Advaita".
    Dear Grames, it is ironical for an ISKCONite to assert that he knows Advaita better than those who are practising it. You want to act moderator for the Adavait Vedantists here ?

Please don't try to control the area which is not yours. Just now we had enough of Voidism here ! Brahman = Void & Advaitins are Voidist !! The scriptures which says this is written by Srila PrabhuPAd ! Whatever is written in Upanishads & in BG is correct only to the extent what ISKCONites endorse ????

Being a Krishna devotee myself I have all love for ISKCON & there members .... but the way some people behave from this organisation it reminds me of people from Abrahmic religions .... it is not Hindu way at all. What is this ???? .... whatever I say is ONLY right & whatever way I interpret is ONLY correct ... ???? Without having knowledge of original Sanskrit version of scriptures, people start dictating what is right & what is wrong ????

Sorry, this I have seen in other forums but at least this forum has a tradition of respecting even contradicting views & that is why I like this forum.

ISKCON has a clear-cut path of Bhakti Yoga. Advaita Vedanta is Jnana Yoga. My humble request is that please stick to the school belonging to your own faith ... & if you want to discuss crossing over, please, please ... please don't be judgemental like your this post which is nothing but a show of inflated ego & which can create only ugly scene here.

Regards,

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Re: Tattvas

Dear Devotee,

Being judgmental or trying to show off is not my idea or agenda. The purpose of my post is not to tick off your ego or to be judgmental about any individual but to bring out the tenets of "Advaita" so that someone who comes to this forum can get something valuable back for their time and stay here. Also, only when you talk more and share more, your own knowledge expands and please do not consider that it is an offense to raise questions about your view when it comes to a public forum. I don't think your life is controlled by what is posted on "Hindudharma" forums.

Like how you wish to brand everyone who speaks against or alternate to "Advaita" view as ISKCONITe, i can consider that as outcome of your inflated ego or being judgmental but i am not interested in anyone's personal judgment. If you do not want to contribute, read what others post but for the reason of explaining my intention, i am clarifying the purpose of my first post.

Thanks

So, wouldn't be nice to have a thread where the actual basic tenets of advaita or "Your" belief is shared for the benefit of our readers?

Lets begin...
    Grames: Go ahead and begin, then. Reminds me a committee I sat on once where everyone believed that the last word was the best word so no one said anything. That was fun

Personally, I have no working definition of advaita in my head so I guess I'm at a loss.

Aum Namasivaya

Gramesji

You are right, as Advait means A dvait [ two ] and A [ no ] dvait or two .

In second case when Advait means one…Every natural no starts from 1 [ you know zero is an integer and not a natural no ] so beginner starts from Advait or one .

Now if anybody is of level two….I welcome his views .

Hi,

Please follow these before you post responses to this thread..

1. Make sure, you have a reference for your knowledge like Who gave you that knowledge or is it your own wisdom etc.
    2. State that reference if it is not yours... instead of plain shruti text interpretations do provide the "Baasya" ref or any other references of great advaitic acharya or scholars
    3. State what is the basis of your personal inference if it is your personal knowledge after reading Shrutis or updanishad or practicing some "Yoga"

Lets begin...
    wouldn't mind, But can you please explain these uses
    "classical "Advaita"
    "new" idea"
    "Advaita" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Grames: Go ahead and begin, then. Reminds me a committee I sat on once where everyone believed that the last word was the best word so no one said anything. That was fun

Aum Namasivaya

However, I agree with devotee. I will relate two views. In Shankara Vijayam, Shankara is seen debating with Vishistaadvaita advocate of his time. The VA proponent insists that the final view (sheshatwa) is wherein one sees oneself as knowledge and a miniscule part of the infinite Lord, whose essential nature is also knowledge. Shankara simply said: then you would not see the Lord.

Guru Ramana, although known to be an advaitin, appeared to be offering a different perspective from the intellectual understanding of advaita darshana. But the difference is apparent only. He said one or two are words. The Self is the reality that no one can negate and Self is partless and not two.

IMO, the need remains to experience the Turya as it is -- as advaita shivo atman. And one situated stably in Turya is not bound. Guru Ramana is known to have commented that he occupied bodies in various lokas and he asked devotees as to how the happenings with these variety of bodies changed the Self, which is not two? In order to have such freedom, the one, impartible, Turya must be known as oneself. Lord kAla, Sarvesvara, is also pervaded by Turya, which, Guru Madhava calls Prabhu.

We simply would not understand the explanations of a Turya established Guru, without having our own experience of Turya, which scriptures indeed term as shivo advait atma.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 02 October 2009 at 07:49 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Dear Grames,

Namaste,

Is it not said that words and mind come back from Him? There is bound to be differences in the domain of the mind and then in the domain of the word. I have related a story as to how my daughter, when she was just three year old, defeated her boyfriend, who had to agree after a fierce argument lasting one hour, that the sun was 'pilA' and not 'yellow'.

Guru Dakshinamurty teaches silence of mind by silence. And Guru Narayana teaches us to know the impartible Atman-Brahman. So, let us strive.

Regards and Best Wishes

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Atanuji wrote

There is bound to be differences in the domain of the mind and then in the domain of the word.

When a bulb is switched off , there comes a light which is due to enduced emf [ voltage ] .

A known saint said that if you intend to see god out side then it is different than that is inside .

Sribhagwatam says…ShabdBrahma sudurbodham .

Now if it is suduh+bodham …then it leads to Oneness , that it is the original light in bulb .

And if it is su +durbodham…then it is some extra form one, and the case as enduced emf .
    …pl. Guide….

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté devotee,
    Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Just now we had enough of Voidism here ! Brahman = Void & Advaitins are Voidist !!
    I am already running the other way!

यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information