Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 upaniṣad-s worth studying...

Re: 10 upaniṣad-s worth studying...

So perhaps the question here is "should we read the translations first, try to understand, then read the original. Or the other way around?"

I think its the other way around, reasoning as stated in the first part of this post.

It sounds like you expect all people to read Sanskrit [personally I'm horrible with languages]. This is reasoning I've seen with muslims who believe the quran should only be read in Arabic. However, a problem, perhaps unforseen, is that while the people can read the arabic or even recite it, they do not understand it. At least those who try to gain familiarity with it. I think what I've seen to be of great help to those who cannot read a certain language is for them to use tools that have translations of the various meanings of words used in the scriptures.
    Last edited by Visvamitra; 01 September 2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: insert quote
    The Vedas declared that the son rescueth the father from a hell called Put. ~ Celestials [Sec. 231 of Adi Parva - Mahabharata]

Quote Originally Posted by Visvamitra View Post

It sounds like you expect all people to read Sanskrit [personally I'm horrible with languages]. This is reasoning I've seen with muslims who believe the quran should only be read in Arabic. However, a problem, perhaps unforseen, is that while the people can read the arabic or even recite it, they do not understand it. At least those who try to gain familiarity with it. I think what I've seen to be of great help to those who cannot read a certain language is for them to use tools that have translations of the various meanings of words used in the scriptures.
    I agreed with yajvan-ji with the recommending of reading the various translations for those who cant understand Sanskrit.

Om namah shivayah

I agreed with yajvan-ji with the recommending of reading the various translations for those who cant understand Sanskrit.

I think that's a good idea too with perhaps a concordance dictionary of some sort so that you can look at the context in which a word appears to see what may be best.
    The Vedas declared that the son rescueth the father from a hell called Put. ~ Celestials [Sec. 231 of Adi Parva - Mahabharata]

Thank you, yajvan for sharing your approach in studying scriptures. Do you also practice memorisation and chanting of the scriptures alongside studying the commentaries?

Namaste

Is there a link where i can download the commentary by Sri Muni narayana prasad.

Quote Originally Posted by ammasanand View Post
    Namaste

Is there a link where i can download the commentary by Sri Muni narayana prasad.
    Dear ammasanand,

There is no free download available for Guru's books.

Purchase at DK print-world Love

Thread Information