Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get ready for KUMBHA MELA– The Moksha Mela (January 14, 2010 to April 28, 2010)

Smile Get ready for KUMBHA MELA– The Moksha Mela (January 14, 2010 to April 28, 2010)

Haridwar Ardha Kumbh Mela- 2010

Kumbha Mela is the largest religious gathering in the world.

The origin of the Kumbh is very old and dates back to the time when Kalasha (pot of nectar of immortality) was recovered from Samudramanthan (during the churning of the primordial sea), for which a tense war between Devtas (Gods) and Asuras (Demons) ensued. To prevent the Amrita Kalasha being forcibly taken into possession by Asuras, who were more powerful than Devtas, its safety was entrusted to the Devtas Brahaspati, Surya, Chandra and Shani. The four Devtas ran away with the Amrita Kalasha to hide it from the Asuras. Learning the conspiracy of Devtas, Asuras turned ferocious and chased the 4 Devtas running with Amrita Kalasha. The chase, lasted 12 days and nights during which the Devtas and Asuras went round the earth and during this chase, Devtas put Amrita Kalasha at Haridwar, Prayag, Ujjain and Nasik.

To commemorate this holy event of the Amrita Kalasha 12 years.According to other Pauranic legends, actual fight in the Amrita Kalash being knocked, out of which Amrita being put at 4 places, Kumbh is celebrated every took place between Devtas and Asuras resulting (Nectar) fell down at the above 4 places.

The festival is religiously most important for the Hindus. At every Kumbh occassion, millions of Hindus take part in the celebrations. During 2004 Kumbh at Haridwar, more than 10 millions devoteed gathered at the site. Saints, priests, and yogis from all corners of India, gathered to participate in Kumbh. Haridwar is considered very holy, due to the fact that Ganga enter plains from mountains here itself.
    The festival is visited by the most amazing saints from all across India. The Naga Sadhus are one such, who never wear any cloth and are smeared in ash. They have long matted hairs and are not at all affected by the extremes of heat and cold. Then there are the Urdhwavahurs, who believe in putting the body through severe austerities. There are the Parivajakas, who have taken a vow of silence and go about tinkling little bells to get people out of their way. The Shirshasins stand all 24 hours and meditate for hours standing on their heads. Spending the entire month of Kumbh on the banks of Ganga, meditating, performing rituals and bathing thrice a day, are the Kalpvasis.

It is believed that bathing during Kumbh cures the bather of all sins and evils and grants the bather, salvation. It is also believed that at the time of Kumbh Yog, the water of Ganga is charged with positive healing effects and that water at the time of Kumbh is charged positively by enhanced electromagnetic radiations of the Sun, Moon and the Jupiter, the flux of which also varies in accordance to positions and the phases of the moon, and also by the + and - signs of the sun spots.

Here are the dates for the 2010 Kumbh Mela

14 January 2010 (thursday) - Makar Sankranti Snan - First Snan (bath)
    15 January 2010 (friday) - Mauni Amavasya and Surya Grahan ( Sola Eclipse) - Second Snan
    20 January 2010 (Wed) - Basant Panchmi Snan - Third snan
    30 January 2010 (saturday) - Magh Purnima Snan - Fourth Snan
    12 February 2010 (friday) - Maha Shivratri - Pratham Shahi Snan - First Royal Bath
    15 March 2010 (monday)- Somvati Amavasya - Dvitya Shahi snan - Second Royal Bath.
    24 March 2010 (Wednesday)- Ram Navmi - Fifth Snan
    30 March 2010 (Tuesday) - Chaitra purnima snan
    14 April 2010 (wednesday) - Baisakhi - Pramukh Shahi Sanan.
    28 April 2010 (wednesday) - Shakh Purnima – snan

The main bathing dates are 14th January, 12 February, 13th February, 15th March and 14th April

See you in one of the tents

Also please share your knowledge, pictures and videos of this Holy Event.

Re: Get ready for KUMBHA MELA– The Moksha Mela (January 14, 2010 to April 28, 2010)

Namaste Brahman,
    Thanks a lot for opening this thread. You have given a lot of information about the Kumbh Mela. I also found this official link for more information which I thought would be helpful for devotees who are planning to visit the Mela
    http://www.kumbh2010haridwar.gov.in/
    also this link has good information
    http://www.kumbhamela.net/
    I havent been to the Ganga in this life, but am planning to do so if Ganga wishes to give me darshan during the Kumbh Mela.
    hope to see you there by GODS Grace.
    mukunda

Re: Get ready for KUMBHA MELA– The Moksha Mela (January 14, 2010 to April 28, 2010)

I appreciate for the support, mukunda,

Sanatana Dharma Worshippers must be aware of these kind of events.

According to my Guru Nathan:
    "Son, Ganga boils during (Kumbh)Mela, not of sun, but of Praana "

Ganga Stotra( Shri. sha.nkarAchArya)

श्री गङ्गास्तोत्र

गंगास्तोत्र

देवि सुरेश्वरि भगवति गंगे त्रिभुवनतारिणि तरल तरंगे .
    शंकर मौलिविहारिणि विमले मम मति रास्तां तव पद कमले .. १..

भागिरथि सुखदायिनि मातः तव जलमहिमा निगमे ख्यातः .
    नाहं जाने तव महिमानं पाहि कृपामयि मामज्नानम् .. २..

हरि पद पाद्य तरंगिणि गंगे हिमविधुमुक्ताधवलतरंगे .
    दूरीकुरु मम दुष्कृति भारं कुरु कृपया भव सागर पारम् .. ३..

तव जलममलं येन निपीतं परमपदं खलु तेन गृहीतम् .
    मातर्गंगे त्वयि यो भक्तः किल तं द्रष्टुं न यमः शक्तः .. ४..

पतितोद्धारिणि जाह्नवि गंगे खण्डित गिरिवरमण्डित भंगे .
    भीष्म जननि हे मुनिवरकन्ये पतितनिवारिणि त्रिभुवन धन्ये .. ५..

कल्पलतामिव फलदाम् लोके प्रणमति यस्त्वां न पतति शोके .
    पारावारविहारिणि गंगे विमुखयुवति कृततरलापांगे .. ६..

तव चेन्मातः स्रोतः स्नातः पुनरपि जठरे सोपि न जातः .
    नरकनिवारिणि जाह्नवि गंगे कलुषविनाशिनि महिमोत्तुंगे .. ७..

पुनरसदंगे पुण्यतरंगे जय जय जाह्नवि करुणापांगे .
    इन्द्रमुकुटमणिराजितचरणे सुखदे शुभदे भृत्यशरण्ये .. ८..

रोगं शोकं तापं पापं हर मे भगवति कुमति कलापम् .
    त्रिभुवनसारे वसुधाहारे त्वमसि गतिर्मम खलु संसारे .. ९..

अलकानंदे परमानंदे कुरु करुणामयि कातरवन्द्ये .
    तव तट निकटे यस्य निवासः खलु वैकुण्ठे तस्य निवासः .. १०..

वरमिह मीरे कमठो मीनः किं वा तीरे शरटः क्षीणः .
    अथवा श्वपचो मलिनो दीनः तव न हि दूरे नृपतिकुलीनः .. ११..

भो भुवनेश्वरि पुण्ये धन्ये देवि द्रवमयि मुनिवरकन्ये .
    गंगास्तवमिमममलं नित्यं पठति नरो यः स जयति सत्यम् .. १२..

येषां हृदये गंगा भक्तिः तेषां भवति सदा सुखमुक्तिः .
    मधुराकन्ता पञ्झटिकाभिः परमानन्दकलित ललिताभिः .. १३..

गंगास्तोत्रमिदं भवसारं वांछितफलदम् विमलं सारम् .
    शंकरसेवक शंकर रचितं पठति सुखीः तव इति च समाप्तम् .. १४..

.. इति श्रीमच्छंकराचार्यविरचितं गंगास्तोत्रं सम्पूर्णम् .

Please find the translation of the stotra here
    Attached Files Attached Files

14th this month

Pranam

Kumbh Mela today was the first snan, those lucky ones are there.
    i want to attend one day, maa Ganga willing, been to Haridwar many times but not for Kumbh Mela, i do not know what to expect. the head is asking many question but the heart is saying take a plunge just go with the flow.
    any one gone or planning to go?

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Pranam all

Interesting pictures.

I'll be in India for 3 weeks, leaving next week. Though I won't be in those 4 places mentioned I'll take a dip in the gangas of Bhagatrati in Navadwip, Yanuma in Vrindaban and Radha/Syhama kundas in Radha kunda.

I wonder if the train situation will be bad in Uttar Pradesh and W. Bengal? Hope not.
    Last edited by Jivattatva; 15 January 2010 at 02:15 PM.

Thousands of Hindu pilgrims braved a winter chill Thursday to take a dip in the holy Ganges River in the northern town of Haridwar, beginning one of the world’s largest religious congregations.
    The three-month Maha Kumbh Mela, or gathering, is held once every 12 years and rotates between four Indian pilgrimage spots located along rivers. The 2001 Maha Kumbh Mela in the northern city of Allahabad drew 60 million people over 45 days.
    At sunrise, devotees, who had started queuing along the streets of Haridwar leading to the river, also known as the Ganga, began taking their ritual holy baths.
    The first bathing day marked the Hindu festival of Makar Sankranti, which is celebrated across India as the end of winter and the beginning of the harvesting season.
    The devotees came to Haridwar from across the country and neighbouring Nepal. They ranged from villagers and to shopkeepers to business leaders, professionals and holy men.
    There were not many sadhus, or holy men, taking the bath on the first day, but they were expected to come in large groups after January 26(The Hindu 14jan2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

Kumbh Mela today was the first snan, those lucky ones are there.
    i want to attend one day, maa Ganga willing, been to Haridwar many times but not for Kumbh Mela, i do not know what to expect. the head is asking many question but the heart is saying take a plunge just go with the flow.
    any one gone or planning to go?

Jai Shree Krishna
    Dear Ganeshprasad,

Your replies are seen as a process of learning through experience and I thoroughly enjoy it.

So far, I have not set off on a pilgrimage to the Northern part of India. And the Himalayas have always been adorable to me.
    I am sure you’ll be able to familiarize me(everyone) properly with a beautiful thread(himalaya) in 'temples'. love

2010 Haridwar

2010 Haridwar

Thread Information