Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why ?

Why ?

Namaste Grames & all,

I have been witnessing unnecessary fights over, "Krishna is supreme & Shiva is somewhat inferior to him in Godliness" .... or "Advaita is just trash" etc.

This forum must be a place where we share our views ... but for sharing we must respect others' views too. There are many things we can learn from each other instead of wasting our energy over these fights. Let everyone be free to think of the Reality the way he feels right. After all, what shall we achieve with this except unnecessary acrimony ?

--------------------------------

Keeping this in mind, I am starting this thread on Mahabharata. Let's see if we can make this section & this forum more useful with our insights.

Q1. Draupadi was wife of five brothers, still she is considered a virgin. Why ?
    Q2. If she was not physically or mentally attached to anyone, why she fell first while ascending to heaven through the Himalayas ? And if she was, then how the first one is true ??

Views ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Re: Why ?

Namaskar,

First of all, I've been wondering the same thing. Many people just keep fighting. Sheer waste of time sifting through threads.

I didn't know that Draupadi was considered a virgin?!!
    She was born from the fire of the yadnya done by her father Drupad. He has three children. Dhrishtadyumna (born to kill Dronacharya), Shikandi (Born to take vengence on Bhishmacharya) and Draupadi (born to suffer the boon given to her by Narayan).

As stated above, in her previous life, after immense sadhana, the lord Narayan was pleased and told her to ask for a boon. She asked to have a husband who was the greatest archer, who was most beautiful, who had extreme strength, who was the most ardent follower of dharma etc etc. Lord Narayan said "Tathastu" or "Let is be so".

Since one human cannot have all the qualities mentioned she had to suffer the boon of having a perfect husband by sharing 5 of them. This tells us the pitfalls of sakaam sadhana or sadhana with desire. It can go horribly wrong if we get too greedy. (MIDAS touch).

Draupadi was with one of the brothers for a whole year, then went to the other brother. She even had five children who were killed by Ashwatthama on the night Duryodhan died. She was definitely attached to all five and was extremely vengeful too.

Krutadnyata.

Dear Devotee,

Since you have addresses me, i am wondering and also puzzed to know that i gave you some feeling like, i am fighting, or called Advaita as trash etc.

Please i beg your pardon as well as love to know what or which of my writing gave you such impression?

Secondly, who is supreme is not just a personal choice for many and some believe it as they wish, some want to know such Supremacy out of their school of faith. I do have certain faith and i do talk about my faith with out hesitation. Same time, i do not judge or decide your faith as good or bad or trash and that is not my business.

I do love reading messages with good content and wisdom regardless of my faith.

I am for respecting other views but don't expect everyone else to be quite and silent spectators if you post a message. A public forum is not a private place and i think we should learn to live with differences of opinions.

Just my thought.

In fact, the topics that you wanted to discuss here are not of my taste!
    Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Grames & all,

I have been witnessing unnecessary fights over, "Krishna is supreme & Shiva is somewhat inferior to him in Godliness" .... or "Advaita is just trash" etc.

This forum must be a place where we share our views ... but for sharing we must respect others' views too. There are many things we can learn from each other instead of wasting our energy over these fights. Let everyone be free to think of the Reality the way he feels right. After all, what shall we achieve with this except unnecessary acrimony ?

Keeping this in mind, I am starting this thread on Mahabharata. Let's see if we can make this section & this forum more useful with our insights.

Q2. If she was not physically or mentally attached to anyone, why she fell first while ascending to heaven through the Himalayas ? And if she was, then how the first one is true ??

Views ?

OM

Namaste Hthakar,

Quote Originally Posted by hthakar View Post
    I didn't know that Draupadi was considered a virgin?!!
    She was born from the fire of the yadnya done by her father Drupad. He has three children. Dhrishtadyumna (born to kill Dronacharya), Shikandi (Born to take vengence on Bhishmacharya) and Draupadi (born to suffer the boon given to her by Narayan).
    Draupadi along with Ahalya, Tara, Kunti & Mandadari are considered "Panch Kanya" or the "Five Virgins". The irony is that all of them were married & all of them had sexual relations with more than one person.

As stated above, in her previous life, after immense sadhana, the lord Narayan was pleased and told her to ask for a boon. She asked to have a husband who was the greatest archer, who was most beautiful, who had extreme strength, who was the most ardent follower of dharma etc etc. Lord Narayan said "Tathastu" or "Let is be so".

Since one human cannot have all the qualities mentioned she had to suffer the boon of having a perfect husband by sharing 5 of them. This tells us the pitfalls of sakaam sadhana or sadhana with desire. It can go horribly wrong if we get too greedy. (MIDAS touch).
    Thanks for this detail information.

Draupadi was with one of the brothers for a whole year, then went to the other brother. She even had five children who were killed by Ashwatthama on the night Duryodhan died. She was definitely attached to all five and was extremely vengeful too.
    Correct ! In fact, there are many of the opinion that Draupadi was the root cause of Mahabharata. But if that is true then why Sri Krishna always loved her even more than his other devotees ? He always had an extra soft corner for her & always addressed her as "sakhi" or "friend".

OM
    Last edited by devotee; 14 October 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Namaste Grames,

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post
    Since you have addresses me, i am wondering and also puzzed to know that i gave you some feeling like, i am fighting, or called Advaita as trash etc.

Please i beg your pardon as well as love to know what or which of my writing gave you such impression?
    I may be wrong & that is a pleasure for me. May be, I am still not out of my hangover from the bitter discussion we had with Bhaktajan. Yes, I think you are right.

I am for respecting other views but don't expect everyone else to be quite and silent spectators if you post a message. A public forum is not a private place and i think we should learn to live with differences of opinions.
    You are right, Grames, but we can express our difference of opinion without creating bad blood. It is not easy but it is possible.

In fact, the topics that you wanted to discuss here are not of my taste!
    It is ok. It really doesn't matter. However, there are many things in the Puranas/Itihasas which are very important scriptures in Bhakti Yoga which can be discussed here & that can be of interest to many. After all, for the majority of the Hindus, the Puranas/Itihasas are the guiding light. This thread was an effort in that direction.

OM

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté devotee (et.al)

This forum must be a place where we share our views ... but for sharing we must respect others' views too. After all, what shall we achieve with this except unnecessary acrimony ?
    Many have been on this forum for a while and have seen excellent conversations become acerbic. Many a discussion has occurred as we have tried dissect the intent and root issues of where the discussion became unattractive and belligerent.

I have my own POV on this matter and will share it for another time, yet my mind instantly gravitates to a quote I hold dear in my mind:

'The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.' - F. Scott Fitzgerald

This quality to entertain opposing views , to let them stimulate new thoughts and ideas, I find quite appealing. If one can do this without animosity to others, growth will (and does) occur quite naturally.
    For this , we find the value in opposing views.

Yet if the tongue becomes a tool of jalpa (overbearing dispute for the sake of dispute) then the fine art of conversation is lessened and the value of the discussion tends to decline precipitously.

So, all here have a choice - yes we can dis-agree and have differing views. Yet the 'art' is to do this with principles, good intent and on occasion to agree to dis-agree, this is okay.

As mentioned multiple times in the past - it is by rubbing two sticks together (friction) a beautiful flame is created. Yet we need be mindful not to use the stick to beat another other into submission.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Grames & all,

Views ?

OM
    Namaste Devotee,

I feel that the confusions will remain when the view is from an embodied. Sometime back, someone, reminded us that the Kurukhsetra is the field -- the body, whereupon all warfare take place to unveil it as the place of joy and bliss.

Five brothers and their one consort and Shri Krishna's guiding role, IMO, speaks of Pancha Purusha, one Female Prakriti, shared by the Pancha Purusha and the Atman wherefrom all appear and whereto all go.

Draupadi being virgin/untouched is only possible, if she is of the form of energy, which incites trouble and which impels realisation.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaste Atanu,

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    I feel that the confusions will remain when the view is from an embodied.
    Five brothers and their one consort and Shri Krishna's guiding role, IMO, speaks of Pancha Purusha, one Female Prakriti, shared by the Pancha Purusha and the Atman wherefrom all appear and whereto all go.
    I think that is the answer for this dilemma.

Draupadi being virgin/untouched is only possible, if she is of the form of energy, which incites trouble and which impels realisation.

OM

Why is this in hare krishna forum.

Vaishnavism as i think does not consider shiva as a second god.
    Are you going to force them to beleive in it.

As i was reading, draupadi got a boon that how many times she'll make love shell stay a virgin when she goes to the next husband.Dont be surprised.Almost anything is possible in this world.
    http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=97686
    http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question...8091249AAQ1kN8
    Last edited by SANT; 01 November 2009 at 12:29 PM.

Correct ! In fact, there are many of the opinion that Draupadi was the root cause of Mahabharata. But if that is true then why Sri Krishna always loved her even more than his other devotees ? He always had an extra soft corner for her & always addressed her as "sakhi" or "friend".
    where did you get this opinion from.
    Krishna considered arjun also as a sakha.
    Last edited by SANT; 15 October 2009 at 12:55 PM.

Thread Information