Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skanda Shasti

Re: Skanda Shasti

Vannakkam

My family and relatives have always been big on Kanda Shasti. My uncles and grandmother (especially) fast during this festival.

This year I just listen to the Kanda Shasti Kavacham every morning and sing along for the duration of the festival. The Kavacham brings back a lot of fond memories from childhood. Here it is by the Soolamangalam Sisters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RIPz_mP_VI

Their voices just vibrate with energy and every word is pronounced properly to give a great effect. I especially love the last few minutes beginning from the line, "meviya vadivurum velava potri". It plays over and over in my mind.

It was composed by Sri Devaraya Swamigal. Since the Soolamangalam Sisters' rendition of it, a few other singers have sung it in the same tune. All are awesome, though I keep going back to the Soolamangalam Sisters version.

I realise EM has given a link to their song too, but it was only half. My apologies if you think I shouldn't have given the link again.

On the 6th day of this festival, the 'Sooran Por' will be enacted in Murugan temples all over the world. This is a grand, energetic enactment where huge statues of Lord Muruga slaying the demons Soorapadman, Simhamukhan, Tarakasuran and another one are paraded around on hand-lifted chariots in a sort of battlefield. Lord Muruga uses the 'vel' or lance given to him by his mother, Parvathi, to slay these demons. At one point, mangoes will be thrown from the statues for devotees to catch.

Here is a very, very short video from the Sri Kandaswamy Temple in Brickfields, Malaysia from 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8rKXiMA9M

Aum Saravanabhavaya Namah

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam: Today is the first day for 2013 ... 6 days this year, for those of you who celebrate, enjoy.

Aum Saravanabhava

Namaste EM,

Many TV channels from the south today telecasted Soora Samhaaram live. I watched the celebration telecasted from Thiruchendur. Hope you to enjoyed it.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste EM,

Many TV channels from the south today telecasted Soora Samhaaram live. I watched the celebration telecasted from Thiruchendur. Hope you to enjoyed it.
    Aum Saravanbhavaya,

The very name of Tiruchendur spurs me inward to His Vel. They have a tape there of Aum Saravanabhava that is forever engrained in my memory, and the priest here let me do a round of it this AM.

Last night we had a sponsored Sahasranama Archana, and tonight (last night) Murugan goes on parade. Murugan festivals are just so austere, and beautiful. Difficult to put to words.

Thank you for sharing that. The wonder of TV. Unfortunately, I am not subscribed top any Indian channels.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,

Unfortunately, I am not subscribed top any Indian channels.
    I am sad that, Bhakta's like you weren't able to watch but millions here waste their subscription to watch worthless in-laws in fighting tele serials.

I believe devotees may upload the videos in due course of time.

In the mean time found this link from youtube. This says Skanda Sashti Last Day Rituals - Live Webcast on 8th Nov from 7 PM. I don't know the place as it is not mentioned.

If I come across yesterday's recorded videos of Soora Samhaaram will post the links. As of now publishing these two 2011 videos recorded by some devotee
    Anirudh...

Thread Information