Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is Paramatma?

Re: what is Paramatma?

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Thanks for your views atanu. But I was focusing on Jnanadeva's description of the state of "mind" of purushottama.
    --
    When both the seer and the object "vanish" I do not see how, psychologically, any "person" can be.
    Namaste Skull

I think i tried as well as i could.

To rephrase: Purushhottama is a non doer, non thinker -- no karma taints Him. Yet He is the thinker and doer everywhere. But for us who begin with the premise that Purusha is the male man with two legs and two arms (the male body), the spiritual connotation of Purusha -- that which is the whole before the light -- is missed.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Thanks for your views atanu. But I was focusing on Jnanadeva's description of the state of "mind" of purushottama.

When both the seer and the object "vanish" I do not see how, psychologically, any "person" can be.
    This part is simple Skull.

It is the mind which in the presence of the paraprakriti or consciousness has that feeling of "I".

As mind belongs to prakriti - if you remove that you have only consciousness or paraprakriti which is beyond "I", beyond mind, beyond feeling, beyond anything perceptible - pure, timeless, all pervading consciousness.

In case of purushottam which is the highest of the purusha, it is beyond the mind -the state of pure nirvana (not achievable or the ideal state). This is also the paramatma - the ideal atma or the highest atma.

Love and best wishes

Red Face Re: what is Paramatma?

Paramatma is an expansion of Garbhodakshayi Vishnu. Who lives in every living being's heart as an observer. observer of their actions. In the purana's Paramatma and Jivatm are likened to two birds. Jivatma is doer of action while the other bird the Paramatma the supreme one is simply observing (saksin) of actions. He is aloof from one's actions. He is without winking looking at the actions of jivatmas. He is all-smiling, happy and the one who helps jivatmas when they are bewildered. He suggests them ideas. And fulfills their desire to sense gratification. Visnu is resident in heart because all jivatmas are sons and daughters of one Supreme Lord.
    Hope this help would b helpful.

Vannakkan nikhiludgurkar:

Welcome to these forums.

Aum Namasivaya

Let me share my thoughts overhere. The meaning for this has to be derived from the vedas itself (Rig veda as per my understanding)

The atama refers to soul and it refers to light with heat and mind is said to be force which acts upon the energy of heat of soul.

And paramatma signifies the first soul, light and heat refering to god, however for simple undestanding it represent the sun in our solar system stating it is due to the sun and moon one can see through the play of gods on earth on human beings using brahamam ( direction of mind). Hence to appricate this knowledge it is recommended to read vedas and understand the fundmentals as well as eye of vedas.

Thread Information