Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Devoting to God

Re: Devoting to God

Hi Snip !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snip View Post
    I think that your approach is refreshing and praise worth. Being mindful is not easy and to hear that you have felt benefit from doing so is beautiful to hear.

Do you feel no attraction to philosophy? Is it difficult to avoid the questions which arise seeking an answer outide of yourself?
    Let me clear my POV Snip. In my overzealous state of emphasizing the importance of practically following what we have learnt from various spiritual sources and not just analyzing it forever, I wrote "avoid all philosophy.
    Well no practical approach is possible without theory and spiritual philosophy is "The" theory. But theory in itself is of no use unless it can be shown that it is of some practical value.
    What I am saying is let's start converting whatever we have learnt into practicality. You know, what I am saying is all this analysis is futile if the person discussing it himself is unable to get out of the slavery to the senses, like lust, cravings for good food etc.
    By remembering Him with such regularity, and surrendering to him totally, I have started seeing these changes in me.
    And thus I feel there is no need to involve myself into detailed analysis and interpretation of what has been said in the scriptures.
    I read my Bhagawad Gita every day, a verse with explanation before turning in and that is my way of keeping in touch with Him.
    So please do not take it as my aversion to philosophy but as a personal view to not let the whole life go by in just discussions.
    Philosophy is like the basics which we learn at school but we don’t need to have doctorate to be able to lead a meaningful life. What is helpful is being able to put to use what we learnt in school in dealing with situations in life.
    Thanks.
    Spiritual Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by vcindiana View Post
    Dear Yaj: That was nice of you to explain about "time". This makes very profound sense.

What is your take on BG ch 4: 7 "Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion--at that time I descend myself"

Sounds like God keeps score and every time there is adharma (evil) he comes down? There has to be deeper philosophical meaning.

Love.... VC
    Dear VCIndiana
    I am pleased you ask as that has been a question on my mind. It arises most, oddly enough, when I consider the prophet(s) of Abrahamic religions. There is much emphasis that the message of God has been sent down throughout the ages in the form of prophets.

I see the words of Krishna to be similiar in that there is a messenger (although it is Sri Krishna incarnated) who descends to reconfirm the message. I imagine this would happen in each age of mankind, rather than frequently.

I also hope by reflecting on religions outside of Sanatana Dharma that I build a picture to help me to better understand and I do not imply a judgement or comparison of religions itself.

I look forward to other replies, which I am sure will add depth of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    na hi kacit svasmin ātmani muhūrtam avatiṣṭhate
    or, there is nothing that exists in its own form even for a moment (muhūrta or a moment , instant).
    Namaste Yajvan ji,

Can you please tell me the source of this quoted verse ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Govind Joshi View Post
    Hi Snip !!

Let me clear my POV Snip...
    Dear Govind
    Thank you for expanding on your POV. I did not and do not consider your statement of philosophy overzealous, in fact I considered your post reassuring and delightful and asked from curiosity alone.

There is so much good to say about living a philosophy/religion than merely speaking about it. Additionally I would like to add that speaking about it is the first step to living it, so nothing should be shunned in my opinion; it all has a benefit.

Your post has provided me with an answer I have been searching for a while: why if I remain without doubt do I still read the scriptures? The answer is that it acts as a reminder of the Truth and it is the mindfulness of God which brings such bliss.

As to weather a reminder is required, I would not say so from experience. Perhaps you have a view on this you would enjoy sharing?

Thank you for your reply.

Dear Yajvan
    Thank you for your reply; I got a lot out of it.

I have a further question, should you or anyone feel inclined to answer:

Does the result of action still need to be dedicated to Krishna once the Truth of the Self is known? Once action is not done for the outcome.

It would appear to be different for the one who knows the Self, but I would like to confirm. I have been reading the Bhagavad-Gita with commentaries to find an answer in the scriptures, and hope you or another reader may be able to confirm more confidently from this or other sources?

Namaste Snip,

Does the result of action still need to be dedicated to Krishna once the Truth of the Self is known? Once action is not done for the outcome.
    "Once the Truth of the Self is known" ... is their still a doer/owner of what is being done by the body-mind entity under the influence of the three gunas ? (ref : B.G. 3.27, 4.18,4.24, 4.37, 5.7, 14.19, 14.23, 18.14 to 18.17)

Is Krishna different from the Seeker and the action at that stage ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Snip,

"Once the Truth of the Self is known" ... is their still a doer/owner of what is being done by the body-mind entity under the influence of the three gunas ? (ref : B.G. 3.27, 4.18,4.24, 4.37, 5.7, 14.19, 14.23, 18.14 to 18.17)

Is Krishna different from the Seeker and the action at that stage ?

OM
    Namasté Devotee
    Of course this makes complete sense reading your reply!
    Thank you!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté devotee,
    Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Yajvan ji,
    Can you please tell me the source of this quoted verse ?OM
    Yes, I will be happy to, and will need to go back and find it .
    There are many śloka-s that ring true in my mind and I 'keep' with me. This one of 'total movement all the time', seems to be one that my mind reminds me of on a regualar basis.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

It would appear to be different for the one who knows the Self, but I would like to confirm. I have been reading the Bhagavad-Gita with commentaries to find an answer in the scriptures, and hope you or another reader may be able to confirm more confidently from this or other sources?
    For a bhakta devotion never ceases in this regards i quote What Lord Krishna saysB.g. 18.54
    brahma-bhutah prasannatma
    na socati na kanksati

samah sarvesu bhutesu

mad-bhaktim labhate param

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Namasté Snip
    I have a further question, should you or anyone feel inclined to answer:

What you ask is a very profound and insightful question. There are a few ways of answering this. When the Self is realized, one has established him/her self in the Infinite. The 'noise' of the relative field of life is now is seen as just that. One is grounded in the SELF, the silence of ātma. Now pure devotion can occur. How so?

One becomes purely him/her Self, there is no blemishes, no mischief in one's intent… there is sattvic devotion. That is, it is when one is possessed of the Self, then real surrender ( my teacher says 'proper surrender') exists. Before this time one is enclosed in the 3 guna-s pulling the person here and there, limiting one's ability for devotion. I say limiting not eradicating as devotion can occur yet it is fleeting.

Hence the first robust step to devotion is becoming possessed of the Self. Even svāmī prabhupāda ( who I do not follow, but respect his knowledge) mentions this, ' actual devotional service begins after being liberated, or being situated in the brahman position'.

Over time each action is an offering to one's Beloved, to one's Lord. The notion of dedication or offering is effortless.

This brahma-bhūta (bhūta = consisting of, being, obtained + brahma = the Absolute, Being, Self, ātma) - being established in the Self, in Being, brings the entry to a fully-engaged spiritual life.

Much much more can be said about this, and takes us into the uttara folder of advanced subjects; but I wanted to answer your question without too many new ideas. Yet there is more we can discuss if there is a desire for this.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 November 2009 at 01:27 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information