Thread: Any instances in Ithihasas when a woman is reborn as a man and vice versa?

Any instances in Ithihasas when a woman is reborn as a man and vice versa?

Namaste everyone,
    I was wondering if there is any instance in Ithihasas where in an Atma which had taken up the body of a woman attained the body of a man in its next life or vice versa?
    an example which would not fit in this would be that of Shikhandi( offspring of King Drupada who was Amba in previous birth as well as a girl when born, but got the body of a Yaksha and became a man with a woman's features).
    Any useful replies are welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    mukund

Re: Any instances in Ithihasas when a woman is reborn as a man and vice versa?

I believe even deva's have to be born as a man or a woman sometimes, not to delude but to learn themselves. even if they are perfect deva's like shiva and vishnu. but that's my opinion. I suppose vishnu and shiva usually come as males though. Though sometimes with feminine traits.

but seeing as there is no difference in essence of the soul of man and woman, shiva and vishnu might be feminine from the start. =)

Re: Any instances in Ithihasas when a woman is reborn as a man and vice versa?

Yes, see the bhAgavata purANa, 4th skandha, adhyAyas 26-28 - the story of Puranjana.

Thread Information