Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ...insightful quotes

Re: ...insightful quotes

I like Yogi Berra. Here are two of them -

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

If there is a fork in the road, take it.

HariH Om!
    Hare Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by harekrishna View Post
    I like Yogi Berra. Here are two of them -

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

If there is a fork in the road, take it.

HariH Om!
    Hare Krishna
    They're as much funny as insightful. My favorite is (referring to a restaurant) ... "Nobody goes there any more because its always too busy."

I heard a different one (not Yogi) the other day about debate, and sometimes applies to certain days and topics on here. "There were six people in the room but 7 opinions."

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Here is one I like that ( to me) is quite profound:

Do something every day that you don't want to do; This is the
    golden rule for aquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain. -Mark Twain

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it.-- Mark Twain
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Dalai Lama was once asked

"What thing about the Humanity surprises you most ?

Dalai Lalma reply was "MAN".....

"Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
    Then he sacrifices his money to recuperate his health,
    and then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present,
    and as a result he does not live in the present or the future,
    and he lives as if he is never going to die,
    and then he dies having never really lived."

How true, and yet this story repeats in many lives!
    रतà¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤•à¤°à¤§à¥Œà¤¤à¤ªà¤¦à¤¾à¤‚ हिमालयकिरीटिनीमॠ।
    बà¥à¤°à¤¹à¥à¤®à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤°à¥à¤·à¤¿à¤°à¤°à¤¤à¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤¢à¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ वनà¥à¤¦à¥‡ भारतमातरमॠ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

There is no Hell, for that means there is a place where God is not, and there are sins which exceed his love... Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (1888-1975)
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

"Ram naam ki loot pai hai, Loot sake to loot
    Phir pache pachtie jab prayan jaynge choot" -kabir

English: "Collect the name of god, its free of cost,
    Otherwise you will feel as very disappointed, at the time of your last breath."

_/\_Jasdir
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Christianisation was the third force of colonialism as best expressed by Jomo Kenyatta, the late Kenyan leader, who said: “When the white man came he had the bible we had the land. Then he said ‘let us close our eyes and pray’. When we opened our eyes we had the bible he had the land.”

"Dukh Mein Simran Sab Kare, Sukh Mein Kare Na Koye
    Jo Sukh Mein Simran Kare, Tau Dukh Kahe Ko Hoye"

English: "In anguish everyone prays to Him, in joy does none, if one prays in happiness, than how sorrow can come"

_/\_Jasdir
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

"It is impossible for me to reconcile myself to the idea of conversion after the style that goes on in India and elsewhere today. It is an error which is perhaps the greatest impediment to the world's progress toward peace. Why should a Christian want to convert a Hindu to Christianity? Why should he not be satisfied if the Hindu is a good or godly man?" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Of these four great ancient civilizations, working knowledge of the inner forces of enlightenment has survived on a mass scale only in India. Only in India has the inner tradition of the Goddess endured. This is the reason the ...teachings of India are so precious. They offer us a glimpse of what our own ancient wisdom must have been. The Indians have preserved our lost heritage. [...] Today it is up to us to locate and restore the tradition of the living Goddess. We would do well to begin our search in India, where for not one moment in all of human history have the children of the living Goddess forgotten their Divine Mother." -- Linda Johnsen

"The Hindu religion is the only one of the world’s great faiths dedicated to the idea that the Cosmos itself undergoes an immense, indeed an infinite, number of deaths and rebirths. It is the only religion in which the time scales correspond, to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of Brahma, 8.64 billion years long. Longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang. And there are much longer time scales still." -- Carl Sagan, Famous Astrophysicist

Thread Information