Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you turned to vegetarianism lately? If yes, please share your thoughts.

Have you turned to vegetarianism lately? If yes, please share your thoughts.

I was a regular meat eater till about 5 years ago. But the thought of trying to be spiritual and eating meat did not somehow appear alright. Then I came across the views where vegetarianism was considered a prerequisite to seeking. And this view made me think about stop eating meat. It took a while, but I am happy to say that today I consider myself to be a pure vegetarian.

There was a time when my wife used to say, "When there is no egg for breakfast, your face drops". Today I have a life style totally egg and meat free.
    I feel great, spiritually. Having benefited health wise from all the adverse effects of a meat eating diet has been a bonus.

I now feel I am not responsible for the meaningless killing of any of His creatures.
    Taking it to the next level, I have decided to stop using leather products. I would be implementing this in my lifestyle gradually.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Govind Joshi; 05 November 2009 at 01:04 AM.
    Spiritual Seeker

Re: Have you turned to vegetarianism lately? If yes, please share your thoughts.

When I first came to the dharma 10 years ago, I also became vegetarian but at the time it was more on ethical grounds than spiritual grounds since then it's because of both. I also believe that I don't think people fully grasp the full weight of killing and eating something until they have to resort to cannibalism until then most people don't really get it. That's another sentient being just like you or I, it's crazy when you really think about it. What's even more crazy is hunting.
    Don't look for meaning there is none.

ॐ नमः शिवाय.

Re: Have you turned to vegetarianism lately? If yes, please share your thoughts.

Yeah Snowman, you are right. My question is if you are eating meat, why cannibalism is so bad while killing other animals for the pleasure of your senses is alright.
    Just a supplement, a friend of my wife who has been a vegetarian throughout says, whenever there is conversation about meat, that she doesn't want to have a cemetery inside her.
    Thanks.
    Spiritual Seeker

me veggie from age 5 lol ..... az everyone in my home stop eating at the time, so ..and really after seeing brutual killing of animals no one will want again to be non-veg...

Namaste Govind Joshi,

Those are some noble sentiments. I think the decision to become vegetarian proper is best experienced through this idea of awakening to the reality of life as One creature, and not wanting to contribute to any of its suffering in any way. And yes, hunting is just insane altogether. I understand its purpose in tribal countries where people are literally surviving off a harsh land, but hunting for sport is abominable (haha, not you Snowman!). It is even worse than eating meat, in my opinion.

We still have fox-hunting in my country, not just the animal-friendly kind where there is running around on horseback for a few hours in the country for some fresh air and exercise. Some places still practice this barbaric sport with real hounds and a fox chased for miles without rest until weak from exhaustion he tries standing his ground, only to be torn to shreds by dogs who don't know better themselves. These kind of practices, where animals are killed for no reason other than for the entertainment and pleasure of a few "cultured" individuals, sickens me most.

I almost envy some of you, like Prithvi, for having everyone in the family be vegetarian. It would really encourage you onto veganism, and a heightened awareness of ahimsa against all living creatures, and not just animals slaughtered for their meat. My mother will still try and persuade me to eat a bit of meat sometimes and I'm proud to say she hasn't succeeded yet.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

@Prithvi
    Quote Originally Posted by prithvi View Post
    so ..and really after seeing brutual killing of animals no one will want again to be non-veg...

Yeah !! you are right Prithvi. I guess you had your good karmas in place that you started in this path early. Mine were not so good. Any way I too have joined your league now. And it's really lovely.

@Sunyata07
    Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    It would really encourage you onto veganism, and a heightened awareness of ahimsa against all living creatures, and not just animals slaughtered for their meat. My mother will still try and persuade me to eat a bit of meat sometimes and I'm proud to say she hasn't succeeded yet.

I couldn’t agree with you more Sunyata07. In my endeavor to stop all kind of violence against all creatures, I have stopped swatting flies and mosquitoes, and stopped killing roaches. I have found my own ways to avoid them and handle them without having to kill them.
    I am happy for you that you have refrained from the slavery to the sense of taste.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Govind Joshi; 13 November 2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Spiritual Seeker

As a result of my being re-introduced to Hinduism through a Comparative Religions class I'm taking, I've decided I'm at a point in my life where I should start being more serious about my spirituality.

I first began by doing more serious meditation, and then I spent a day fasting and meditating multiple times throughout the day. I spent a lot of time thinking about becoming vegetarian. Now up until this point in my life I had been an avid carnivore and was known to make statements along the lines of "I could never be a vegetarian, animal carcass is delicious!" Haha.

But the more I thought about it the more I tried to look at it from the perspective of a knowledge of the true unitive state of the universe. All people and all animals are parts of creation blessed with life and should be respected. If the ultimate reality is we all came from the same primordial form then eating another creature is somewhat alike taking a big bite out of one of your fingers. It's just unnecessary (unless you're starving to death).

And now as I'm reading up more on the topic I'm learning the true health benefits of having a diet void of meat. I've been at it a week and I can actually alread feel my insides functioning better. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
    I've been at it a week and I can actually alread feel my insides functioning better. Lol.
    Your whole post sounded like what I would have said ... 37 years ago, but the last part was the final good straw for me. Best wishes, welcome to the veggies.

Aum Namasivaya

Haha. Well, thank you for the welcome. It's actually nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be.

As a 23 year old college student I'm getting a lot of **** from my friends for it, but none of them have tried to tell me not to do it or get me to eat meat. Yet. So far so good

Vannakkam: Yes its very easy. With friends I used to just kid them back sarcastically with something like "you flesh-eating carnivores! No wonder you show such beast-like tendencies." But the ones that you do encounter that get serious actually aren't too bright or well read. They say silly things like "the body needs meat' or 'you'll die without it' or Where do you get your protein?' just exposing their own ignorance on the topic. lol

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information