Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana

Marijuana

Alright I know what your thinking. Another dope headed westerner asking this question. But I am wondering did any Hindus use marijuana in the past to alter their perception of the world? For an example some people experience interdependence under the influence.

Re: Marijuana

Namaste Juan:

Yes, I used it way before I thought of Hinduism as a reality I could explore. But certainly it was just back in the old school of hard knocks. Then I grew up.

Aum Namasivaya

Yes. Shaiva sadhus have an ancient history of smoking bhang through chillum pipes or ingesting bhang tea. Occassionally this is mixed with opium. There are also references in the Vedas to Soma. For the most part this is a part of Tantric marg and has to do with ancient shamanic rituals. Tibetan Buddhists and the Bon shaman sect of Tibet also use bhang. Akali Nihang Singhs still prepare Sukhnidhaan tea as smoking is forbidden in Sikhism.

I use marijuana both to aid in my meditative practice and for medical reasons to help me deal with my severe scoliosis and bipolar. I choose to use cannabis as medicine instead of being hooked on heavy narcotics such as oxycontin which is what my docters were going to give me. I however am a Westerner, so may opinion may not hold much weight here but as HK pointed out cannabis was and is used by sadhus.

I'm not sure if soma was linked to cannabis, I have only heard it was linked to perhaps agaric mushrooms and the like.
    Don't look for meaning there is none.

ॐ नमः शिवाय.

Atanuji

Your help needed to guide these youngsters .

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
    I use marijuana both to aid in my meditative practice and for medical reasons to help me deal with my severe scoliosis and bipolar. I choose to use cannabis as medicine instead of being hooked on heavy narcotics such as oxycontin which is what my docters were going to give me. I however am a Westerner, so may opinion may not hold much weight here but as HK pointed out cannabis was and is used by sadhus.

I'm not sure if soma was linked to cannabis, I have only heard it was linked to perhaps agaric mushrooms and the like.
    Before our seniorfellow Atanuji explains in detail , I just want to put the translation from Shankarbhasya as follows:
    Sankhyanam atmavishya vivek gyanvatam brahmacharyadeva kratsanyasanam .
    Means only after taking studies up to brahmacharya age [ 30 yrs. ] then having the good family life up to sanyasya age [ 60 yrs. ], the Sankhya or knowledge about spirituality is required .
    Any living may be shaiva or vaishnav or else requires noble living .Always follow a holy living path .

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
    I use marijuana both to aid in my meditative practice and for medical reasons to help me deal with my severe scoliosis and bipolar. I choose to use cannabis as medicine instead of being hooked on heavy narcotics such as oxycontin which is what my docters were going to give me.
    My brother, who is just north of you, (Vancouver) also has a prescription for the herb's use. He swears that it is the only drug that gives relief to his MS. Certainly, if that is the case, it is inhumane to deny one of a medicine that works. I do wish the laws on this drug were less severe, but that issue has a long story involving racism, and the alcohol lobby, and probably isn't a topic for HDF.

Not just with this drug, I believe many drugs or herbs can be physical, or mental lifesavers. Vaccines, insulin, pain relievers, are all good examples. I myself am on two prescription medications.

My previous point was in regard to recreational use, for the 'fun' of it. As far as spiritual use goes, my take is that similar states can be achieved on a more permanent basis via extended sadhana, meditation, and due diligence.

Aum Namasivaya

There is a dramatic difference between:

1. medicinal use of drugs for authentic medical need.

recreational use of drugs for pleasure which will rot your brain, sicken your health, and promote the highest rates of mental illness/bhoot-pret influences.

Traditional spiritual usages which are accompanied by commitment to a Guru of that path, following a specific sadhana and ritual discipline, and having proper guidance for the same.

I am neither condemning drugs as illegitimate and unspiritual, nor am I condoning irresponsible and ignorant uses of the same.

Where there is error, rest assured no justification will protect you from the karmic harm. And this applies to sexuality as well as intoxicants. Drugs are powerful. They do have a valid spiritual use in tantric and shamanic marg. They do require Guru preceptor guidance. Ignorant people blow their minds and injure their brains and brain chemistry 99.9% of the time. But it is nonetheless a historically valid spiritual path within the Hindu tradition. I have no authority to demonize and condemn the proper and traditional use. Neither have I authority to sanction or protect those who disrespect the devas in these plants and get a curse on their life.

"Drugs" is also misnomer as there are derivative modern chemicals never sanctioned or used by tantric marg. I never heard of anyone in any spiritual tradition, getting anywhere with a do-it-yourself project.

Quote Originally Posted by Harjas Kaur View Post
    Yes. Shaiva sadhus have an ancient history of smoking bhang through chillum pipes or ingesting bhang tea.
    Namaste,

It is unfair to tell shaiva sadhus as having such a history. There are various sects and cults in shaivism, Only pashupata shaivites have history of sometimes consuming bhang/intoxicants.

Namaste Spiritual seeker ji,

Pashupata shavism(began around 4th century BC according to written records,though according to mahabharata much older) was a philosophy which had a very high place for asceticism.The pashupata shaivites were those who were out of fold of grihasta jeevan, so none of them used Bhang/opium while living a family life but only as homeless wanderers. The pashupatas usually tried very hard to stay away from worldly bondages, often wandering ceaselessly from one place to another under burning hot sun or in chilling frost of himalayas.The idea was to get over physical pains or mental bonages, and direct the mind only to shiva. The pashupatas would do all sorts of things like wearing live snakes or dancing or even howling to drive people away from themselves, because they didnt liked company of worldly people. Initially some of them may have used bhang as it leads the mind away from worldly emotions.To clarify it further only people naive to pashupatism did it, after initial days when people moved closer to shiva, they even left eating food etc or began living on very little food.Also not all pashupatas necessarily consumed bhang or any other intoxicant.

In my opinion, No one should ever try marijuana or any other product like cigarette/alcohol etc.
    Last edited by isavasya; 13 November 2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Harjas Kaur View Post
    There is a dramatic difference between:

1. medicinal use of drugs for authentic medical need.

2. recreational use of drugs for pleasure which will rot your brain, sicken your health, and promote the highest rates of mental illness/bhoot-pret influences.

3. Traditional spiritual usages which are accompanied by commitment to a Guru of that path, following a specific sadhana and ritual discipline, and having proper guidance for the same.

I am neither condemning drugs as illegitimate and unspiritual, nor am I condoning irresponsible and ignorant uses of the same.
    This is a wise post. I only refer to what my teacher has said and I prescribe to ' smoky mind results in smoky consciousness' .
    I am not suggesting any one subscribe to this - I only wish to share another view on this matter.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information