Thread: Aham Brahmasmi

Threaded View

Aham Brahmasmi

Namaste,

“Om pUrNamadah pUrNamidaM pUrNAt pUrNamudacyate
    PUrNasya pUrNamAdAya pUrNamEvAvashiSyate”

Om ! That (Brahman) is Infinite/Whole/Complete, and this (universe) is Infinite/Whole/Complete. The Infinite/Whole/Complete proceeds from the Infinite/Whole/Complete . (Then) taking the infinitude of the Infinite/Whole/Complete (universe), It remains as the Infinite/Whole/Complete (Brahman) alone.

I intend to dedicate this thread to posting of excerpts of Advaita Teachings in various scriptures (BG, Upanishads, any other Hindu or scriptures of other religions) & also as taught by Advaita teachers. I don't claim to be the expert here, I expect to expand my horizon of understanding through thread.

What can be a better way to start this thread than the Mahavakyas ? :

1. Brahma Satyam Jagan Mithya, Jivo Brahmaiva naparah.

==> Brhaman is real, the world is unreal. Jivatma is Brahman alone & none else.

2. Ekam Evadvitiyam Brahma

==> Brahman is one without a second

3. Prajnanam Brahma

==> Consciousness is Brahman

4. Tat Tvam Asi

==> That (Brahman) thou art !

5. Ayam Atma Brahma

==> This Self is Brahman

6. Aham Brahmasmi

==> I am Brahman

7. Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma

==> This all is Brahman

---------------------------------------------
    That said, What exactly is this Brahman ?

The following text tries to explain this term :

The word brahman comes from the root brha or brhi, which means knowledge, expansion, and all-pervasiveness. It is that existence which alone exists, and in which there is the appearance of the entire universe. This is a Sanskrit word that denotes that oneness, the non-dual reality, the substratum underneath all of the many names and forms of the universe.

Brahman is not a name of God. These contemplations neither promote nor oppose any particular religious concept of God. Brahman is often described as indescribable. For convenience sake, it is said that brahman is the nature of existence, consciousness, and bliss, though admitting that these words, too, are inadequate.

The real meaning comes only in direct experience resulting from contemplation and yoga meditation.
    OM
    Last edited by devotee; 17 November 2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Font Size increased for better readablity
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information