Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gaṇeśa's name

Re: Gaṇeśa's name

hari o
    ~~~~~~

oṁ gajavaktraṁ namaḥ
    गजवक्त्रं हमः

Namasté,

The 1st post reviewed the aṣṭa vināyaka avatāra ( the 8 avatār-s of gaṇeśa) and their alignment to the 8 blemishes of ignorance the individual may possess in varying degrees.

To the detail-minded reader, they may have seen 7 out of 8 blemishes have the sound 'ma' or 'ka' associated with them. The definition of ma is 'me' ( amongst other things); and this 'ka' found in the 4th definition is a taddhita. That is, affixed to form and adjective or a noun. In this 4th use, it expresses diminution ( lessening) Or . Say we use this 'ka' with the word asvaka. This means a 'bad' horse. Note this 'ka' also can be applied to the highest quality of splendor and light, yet also can be applied as just discussed - deterioration or diminution.

We now have ma and ka. If we look at it as 'kama' we find one of the 8 blemishes listed in post one. Kāma then can be the deterioration ( ka) of me (ma). This can be found in Kāma or that excessive thirst-desire for objects of the senses that keeps one bound to the notion 'I am the body' or ahaṁkāra and mamakāra suggested in the last paragraph of post 1. Hence this notion of the sense of possession to desire and capture keeps one bound to ignorance ( other then their true Self).

Back to the question posed - what do we really own ? We think we own something because we have a receipt for its purchase. Yet the maitreya upaniṣad offers us another POV. Here is the story.

King Brihadratha decided to go to the forest for saṁyas ( withdrawal from social life for spiritual pursuits). He prepares his son for the kingdom, and then retires to the forest. Upon doing tapas for some time, the sage Sakayanya muni comes to him (like a fire without smoke as the story goes). This muni departs the wisdom of Lord Maitreya, the same way as it was given to Sakayanya from the Lord, and that is the knowledge of the SELF.

He explains the SELF, as pure, unbounded and free from states , steadfast, immutable, untarnished, uneager, desire-less (that is the 3 guna's). Being unmanifest, subtle, invisible, non-object, free from states, non-agent, (but) abides like an agent. He tells the King.

The muni also describes the self (of the ego, boundaries, relative life) , that is attached to fruit of actions. He describes it as white and dark as he calls it 'good and bad' for lack of a better term. Sakayanya says, "Borne alone and defiled by the stream of qualities, unsteady, wavering, bewildered, full of desire, distracted, one goes on into the state of self-conceit in thinking, 'This is I' and 'That is mine' one binds himself with himself , as does a bird with a snare."

We look to this world and it is made up of the 5 tattva's ( earth, air, fire, water and space). Where have we created any of these elements to say we possess the right to call them our own?

Yet the argument - what of a home? I purchased it, and all the tattva's reside there. Isn't it 'mine' ? All of these elements come from our good earth, and that has come from our sun. And our sun they say is perhaps a 4th to 7th generation sun that collected all these elements from past sun's that exploded. All these things come together to offer us the home, its bricks, windows, and the body we have. All of this has been in the making for billions of years out there in ākāśa, in space. Where have we created one atom in our contribution of this Universe? How may one look at possessions then?

For me, I would look to the īśopaniṣad or īśāvāsya upaniṣad, the 1st śloka says, īśāvāsyāmidam sarvam, that this whole world (world here = total of all) is completely (sarva) covered/pervaded metered out by Him. The beauty of this statement is found in its words:

• īśāvāsya ईशावास्य is ' to be clothed or pervaded by the Supreme'
    • āmi आमिis ā + mi ; ā is a conjunctive particle ( a connection to the next word) meaning 'moreover, further' + mi is to meter out , measure.
    • From this we have 'the Supreme pervades and furthermore meters out' .
    • The Supreme is defined in īś ईश्- to rule, to be master of, and īśā is power, dominion.
    The Supreme is the ruler, master, Lord and has dominion and power over all (sarva) that is covered and metered out by īśāvara.

Hence who 'owns' all is īśāvara; of what part can we say we own, until we associate completely with the Divine?

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

oṁ gajavaktraṁ namaḥ
    गजवक्त्रं हमः

Namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    mūṣikavāhanaya is gaṇeśa-ji, the One that rides (or has a vehicle) a mouse or mūṣika; vāhana means 'carrying'. This we know.
    I thought to add some additional ideas on this notion of the mouse. It is a mouse or is there something deeper that is there?

mūṣaka - a mouse, rat; also a thief, a plunderer. This is what the mouse/rat does , it steals and plunders. It is from the root word mūṣ 'stealer, thief'. And is binding , tying , fixing.

At times this mūṣaka is also another name/symbol for the SELF. How so? It is the notion of , as if it ( the SELF) is bound to this world of diversity. It is (as if) its freedom is stolen (mūṣ) by diversity, by the multiplicity of creation, yet at all times it is free , but forgets.

Now add rati - mūṣaka+rati ; rati is defined as pleasure , enjoyment , delight in , fondness . This rati can be looked at as ra+ti ; ra is rooted in , acquiring, possessing; as a noun it is splendor, brightness.

We have the notion of that which delights (rati) in the Self (mūṣaka); we also have that which possesses () the Self (mūṣaka). Who is that? the muni - a saint , sage , seer, but more importantly , the realized person. The exponent of Reality.

The muni is rooted in 'man' - what is 'man' ? to perceive,observe , learn , know , understand , comprehend. What does the muni know? The Self - mūṣaka. And what does s/he delight (rati) in? The Self (mūṣaka).

Hence another name for a muni is mūṣakarati (mūṣaka+rati) - one that delights, finds fondness, and is possessed (rā) of the Self.

So, another symbol of gaṇeśa-ji, the Divine, riding on the vehicle ( vāhana ) of the Self (mūṣaka), and the Realized Being ( the muni) taking gaṇeśa-ji everywhere s/he goes ( possessed of the SELF).

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Great Thread, i love this
    Thank you

lovely form of Bhagavan
    this study of Holy Names will purify, removed sins
    When we meditate and think about Lord Ganesh, we will realise that Lord is always with us, always lovely, give peace, so He get special respect from all sect and even religion. Amazing way from Shiva - Shakti to guide all.

Jaya Ganesha Jaya Ganesha Pahimam Sarva Sattvanam Ca

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Thread Information