Thread: Puja - help please

Puja - help please

Dear All,

Last weekend I attended a Puja at my masi's house. I found this really interesting but few of my relatives could really explain the significance and meaning behind the ceremony. Being a young Hindu - I want to learn more.

I would appreciate any help and information on all the different types of Puja and what is involved. Also, Is there an English Translation which explains all this?

Thank you

Re: Puja - help please

Quote Originally Posted by pujaD View Post
    Dear All,

Last weekend I attended a Puja at my masi's house. I found this really interesting but few of my relatives could really explain the significance and meaning behind the ceremony. Being a young Hindu - I want to learn more.

I would appreciate any help and information on all the different types of Puja and what is involved. Also, Is there an English Translation which explains all this?

Thank you
    May I ask what sort of puja it was? I'm somewhat familiar with the Sri Satyanarayana Puja (but by no means an expert!). On anything else though, I'm pretty ignorant.

literally puja may be translated as worship . it is a set of rituals in accordance with definite rules , having a large influence of tantra shastra and dravidian practises that sprang up from later vedic era when the importance of maha-yagnas steadily declined . a puja is usually offered to a personal god . in a puja the deity to ve invoked is treated as the most honourable guest to the household and offered all the items of comfort that was offered to a speciall guest in ancient india .

first the purohit or preist cleanses himself both physically and mentally by bathing and matras respectively . then he calms his mind through pranayam and recognises the inherently devine nature of his self through complex mantric procedures known as nyasa and bhutasuddhi . then he offers the sixteen items to god(a place to sit , welcome song , water for washing feet , argha , water for washing mouth , mudhuparka as a sweet , water for bathing , new clothes , jwellery , perfumed sandal paste , flowers, lamp , incense , food offerings and pranaam accompanied by hyms and praises . then the pujari is supposed to surrender all his belonging to the deity and finish of the proceeding with an arati .

this is a very short description of a puja . of course , the exact method vary between each region . local influences and customs also play a very important part in it . the idea is to reach the supreme through loving devotion and respect .......

Quote Originally Posted by sambya View Post
    literally puja may be translated as worship . it is a set of rituals in accordance with definite rules , having a large influence of tantra shastra and dravidian practises that sprang up from later vedic era when the importance of maha-yagnas steadily declined . a puja is usually offered to a personal god . in a puja the deity to ve invoked is treated as the most honourable guest to the household and offered all the items of comfort that was offered to a speciall guest in ancient india .

first the purohit or preist cleanses himself both physically and mentally by bathing and matras respectively . then he calms his mind through pranayam and recognises the inherently devine nature of his self through complex mantric procedures known as nyasa and bhutasuddhi . then he offers the sixteen items to god(a place to sit , welcome song , water for washing feet , argha , water for washing mouth , mudhuparka as a sweet , water for bathing , new clothes , jwellery , perfumed sandal paste , flowers, lamp , incense , food offerings and pranaam accompanied by hyms and praises . then the pujari is supposed to surrender all his belonging to the deity and finish of the proceeding with an arati .

this is a very short description of a puja . of course , the exact method vary between each region . local influences and customs also play a very important part in it . the idea is to reach the supreme through loving devotion and respect .......
    Thank you for that explanation. I've learned several new things from reading it. I didn't know that a puja is meant to symbolize the honor that ancient Indians used to pay to guests.

Thank you so much for your explanation, very interesting. They have just moved into a new house - therefore the puja was in regards to this. Does this help make my question somewhat clearer?

well , the puja that u r talking of is probably grihapravesh--the ceremony before starting to reside in a new home .

this is done to remove the 'impurities' that may be present in the enviornment . several deities are worshipped in this ritual including vishnu and shiva . this is done with a idea to ensure long lasting peace and prosperity to the owner and members of the new house .

this is sakama puja -- the puja with a material wish . such puja generally falls within the scope of material activities .
    the other variant is nishkama puja--puja without desires . such puja is done out of devotion only without any hidden motive . earning the grace of lord or desire of bhakti falls under nishkama catagories also . such puja helps in ultimate liberation in the end .

Thread Information