Thread: Star of David - the Jewish Shatkona?

Star of David - the Jewish Shatkona?

Namaste,

I have been reading a little bit about the symbol of the Jewish religion, the six-pointed star of David, and it dawned upon me just how much it looks like the hexagram symbol used in Hindu mandalas.

If you take apart the Star of David you have the same essential elements of Purusha (Shiva) and Prakriti (Shakti) in the upward and downward pointing triangles. These themselves are said to represent the linga (male) and yoni (female) respectively in the shatkona. Could this have been adopted unconsciously by the Jewish religion to incorporate the idea that God is both male and female? I am not well acquainted with Jewish Kabbalah but perhaps there is a deeper understanding in its esoteric teachings. It is interesting to see just how exactly alike the symbols are in two different cultures.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Re: Star of David - the Jewish Shatkona?

I am not an expert on mainstream Judaism, but I have read the star of David is only a recent symbol of Judaism and that before then the menorah was the symbol. I do not know; that may be wrong.

However, as I have said before, Jewish Kabbalah does consider the Divine feminine & masculine with ideas like Shekhinah (Shakti) & El Shaddai (Shiva,) as well as several other similarities to Sanatana Dharma, so I think you may have some insight.

Thread Information