Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Hindu" Animal Sacrifice in Nepal!!

Unhappy "Hindu" Animal Sacrifice in Nepal!!

Namaste,

I just came across this article on TOI and was aghast!

link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...ow/5264701.cms

I suppose a lot of Hindus still do animal sacrifice however I thought it had reduced drastically after Jain & Buddhist influence??

It just seems so weird that Hindus, whose basic tenet of ahimsa (principle against VOLUNTARY emotional/physical/mental violence towards other beings), is slid under the carpet for this issue. (?)

Of course, this doesn't compare to the pedophile worshiping (muslim) monkeys who kill about 2-3 MILLION goats every year in some desert to please their demonic fairy allah.

Yet, the "secular" news media would only pounce on this "Hindu" animal sacrifice as anathema!

Anyone know more about this festival? Are these types of sacrifices more common in the villages of India/Nepal?

Well, there must be a reason for everything (including the existence of christians/muslims) so I suppose we shouldn't judge too quickly.

Only GOD can protect India!

SATYAMEVA JAYATE!

JAI HIND!

Namaskar.

Re: "Hindu" Animal Sacrifice in Nepal!!

I was shocked by this as well. Ahimsa is such an important aspect of my life and I truly believe that flowers, leafs and fruits are fine offerings. Why destroy beings that have the same Atman as us? Sometimes I see things like this and I truly know that the Kali Yuga is effect.

@TatTwamAsi Ji,

Compared to the killings of cows and goats for consumption by the Muslim, Christians and other people, I must say the sacrifices that some Hindus do are extremely relatively lower.

People have agendas to show Hinduism in bad light. So these reports are all catered for that purpose. The meat industry and the dairy industry are the most cruel, but nobody talks abt that.

In my place, there are temples where animal sacrifices being done annually, but not on daily basis. Most of these temples are temples of Kali Ma or Lord Muniandy (a Tamil village God). Personally I do not know what are the significances of sacrifices to the deities. But I have heard it is abt thanksgiving, say some good things happened to an individual after praying to Kali Ma, so they show gratitude by sacrificing a goat or a chicken, according to their capacity. Mostly it is based on traditions in the family.

Well, I must say, we have the liberty to chose which temple you want to go. If you feel ahimsa is your principle, so live by it and go to temples where there's never any sacrifices done. But we should not ever try to criticize Kali Ma or othe deities for what their followers do. That's not right. Namaste.

Vanakkam: I agree with kshama. The western media has an agenda, and they are supported by right wing christianity, and the meat industry, who each have powerful lobbyists. So one can be a rebel by not supporting or attending such temples, by being a vegetarian, and by doing political action such as letter writing, signing of petitions, and protesting when possible.

But even some of our own scriptures and Puranas talk of animal sacrifice. But of all faiths, I think ours moves on as well as any.

Aum Namasivaya

Before my wife and I left Malaysia to come to New Zealand, my mother-in-law wanted us to attend a ceremony at the Kantan Kali Temple (cave temple in Perak). Most of the shrines were either in the cave or just outside it, but there was one that was set significantly apart from the rest. It was a Madurai Veeran shrine. I asked my wife's grandfather why it was away from the main temple and he said that goats are sacrificed there.

well, sacrifices are still practised in some parts of hindu world . vedic religion of aryans also had some significant animal sacrifices in their yagnas . so technically , hinduism was not always about non-violence .
    however in present day vedic sacrifices are held no more . but tantric scrifices still occur in places .

however these falls into the ritualistic or karma kanda section of the hindu religion . and practicing sacrifce does nothing to elevate our consciousness to higher states of understanding--to know god . so its meaningless to follow this procedure ...at least for those who wish to be spiritual .

balidaan(hindu term for sacrifice) symbolises offering of our six passions(sada ripu) of lust greed anger etc at the feet of the divine and can also be ritually performed with vegtables like gourd or sugarcane .

Cool Re: "Hindu" Animal Sacrifice in Nepal!!

Namaste All,

Quote Originally Posted by sambya View Post
    well, sacrifices are still practised in some parts of hindu world . vedic religion of aryans also had some significant animal sacrifices in their yagnas . so technically , hinduism was not always about non-violence .
    however in present day vedic sacrifices are held no more . but tantric scrifices still occur in places .

however these falls into the ritualistic or karma kanda section of the hindu religion . and practicing sacrifce does nothing to elevate our consciousness to higher states of understanding--to know god . so its meaningless to follow this procedure ...at least for those who wish to be spiritual .

balidaan(hindu term for sacrifice) symbolises offering of our six passions(sada ripu) of lust greed anger etc at the feet of the divine and can also be ritually performed with vegtables like gourd or sugarcane .
    from were did you get this?

Balidaan did not meens killing
    according to Sanskrit scholars the term 'Bali' means Last Aahuti and not killing anybody,

Hinduism did not adopted Ahimsa from Jainism or Buddhism, they adopted it from ancient Hindu texts

Jain ahimsa is adopted from 'Sankhya Darshan'

Buddhist texts themselves accept that Buddha's ahimsa and Yoga came from two Brahmans Alar Kalam and Rudrak Ramputr

both Ram and Krishan were born before Buddha and Mahavir, didi anybody of them eat any nonveg?
    During his 14 years of Vanvaas did Ram Lakshman or Sita ate any non-veg ?
    Last edited by satay; 30 January 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: making paragraph

namste ji .

Balidaan did not meens killing
    according to Sanskrit scholars the term 'Bali' means Last Aahuti and not killing anybody,
    karmakandic rituals of a puja draws heavily in influence from tantric agamas and prevalent customs of the region . roughly speaking these r the parts in an average ritualistic puja as followed today -- achman , vishnu smaran atma suddhi , samanyargha sthapan , asana suddhi , pushpa suddhi , nyasa , prana pratishta , pradhana puja , homa , stava path , arati , japa samarpan , atmanivedanam and kshamaparadha prayer .

in a shakta puja there is an added ritual after homa which goes by the name ' balidaan ' and finds its authorisation in various puranas and tantric texts !

literally it might mean something like self sacrifice but in practical usage it is sacrifice of animals or symbolic cutting of whole vegtables . that is the standard mode of worship in a shakta tradition (atleast in kalikula) .

by the way , the 'last ahuti' that you seem to be suggesting is known as purnaahuti at the end of the homa . it has nothing to do with ritualistic balidaan .

Hinduism did not adopted Ahimsa from Jainism or Buddhism, they adopted it from ancient Hindu texts
    i agree . i did not say anything to the contrary . you are imagining things up . hinduism later elaborated on its own principles of ahimsa and did away with vedic animal sacrifices altogether . infact it would not be wholly unjustified if i say buddhistic or jain ahimsa were derived to an extent from that of hinduism .

Jain ahimsa is adopted from 'Sankhya Darshan'
    really ?! i did not know that . how ? can you shed a little more light on this matter ?

Buddhist texts themselves accept that Buddha's ahimsa and Yoga came from two Brahmans Alar Kalam and Rudrak Ramputr
    thats also new to me . can you write in some more details . it would help me in learning something new .

both Ram and Krishan were born before Buddha and Mahavir, didi anybody of them eat any nonveg?During his 14 years of Vanvaas did Ram Lakshman or Sita ate any non-veg ?
    well i have not read through the original valmiki ramayan completely and hence unfit for commenting , but have read through certain debates regarding some places in ramayana where he allegedly ate meat while in vanavasa . the defenders on the other hand tried to show that the concerned word in that respective sloka was misinterpreted by the other party to mean meat .

i shall require even more time to find that debate out . untill then i cannot give you the direct sloka numbers .
    Last edited by satay; 30 January 2010 at 12:50 PM.

You said teachers of Buddha Alar Kalam and Rudrak Ramputr are new to you, that mean you yourself don't know about Buddha's mahabhinishkraman.
    Not only these two teachers, buddha's buddies Aanj, Assji, Vapp, Mahanam and Bhavdiya were brahmans
    Buddha was himself not against eating non-veg, he was only against killing anybody be if it is human or animal
    Even Buddha's last meal was pork offered by Chund Sunar

Shakya are non-veg themselves and not proved by Hindu texts, Buddha was himself a Shakya

If this is also new to you read Buddhist texts

As for Sankhy Darshan you have to read it and not just some Shalok,
    There were already Rules established by Pasharvnath before Mahavir

If this is also new to You

You said you haven't read Valmiki Ramayan, yet you claim you read somewere that Ram eat meat during Vanvas period, I also read somewere
    like Ramneek of Thailand that Ram had 16,000 wives Lakshman had 8,000 wives, Hanuman was also a womaniser. But thats no proved Hindu text, you are reading anti-hindu texts

Purn Aahuti still not need Killing anybody, Bali is not killing just reading in ancient texts that 'Bali' was offered dose not prove anybody was killed,

Maharshi Dayanand of Arya Samaj gave the slogan "BACK TO THE VEDAS"
    he opposed non-veg, alcohal, etc evils only by wits and that these are against Vedic Rule.
    Last edited by satay; 30 January 2010 at 12:52 PM.

am i advocating non-vegetarianism ? im myself a vegetarian ... but ofcourse i believe that vegetarianism might not necessarily be the only way to enlightment .

since im not a buddhist by faith well, isnt it very natural for me , not to be well aqquainted with buddhist stories ?!

you have still not mentioned how sankhya yoga is the basis of jain ahimsa . im really curious to know !!

Purn Aahuti still not need Killing anybody, Bali is not killing just reading in ancient texts that 'Bali' was offered dose not prove anybody was killed,

just go through what i wrote once more . i never said purna ahuti is 'killing anybody ' !!!!! purna ahuti is purna ahuti --a distinct ritual .

and bali , as followed in tantra based traditions that are there in this subcontinent from the time of the vedas , is killing . remember here im not reffering to vedas when i say bali . and also remember that the two different margs of vedism and tantrism existed side by side since earliest times , and modern hinduism is but a mixture of both .
    Last edited by satay; 30 January 2010 at 12:52 PM.

Thread Information