Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Hindu" Animal Sacrifice in Nepal!!

Re: "Hindu" Animal Sacrifice in Nepal!!

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    Namaste,

I just came across this article on TOI and was aghast!

link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...ow/5264701.cms

I suppose a lot of Hindus still do animal sacrifice however I thought it had reduced drastically after Jain & Buddhist influence??

It just seems so weird that Hindus, whose basic tenet of ahimsa (principle against VOLUNTARY emotional/physical/mental violence towards other beings), is slid under the carpet for this issue. (?)

Of course, this doesn't compare to the pedophile worshiping (muslim) monkeys who kill about 2-3 MILLION goats every year in some desert to please their demonic fairy allah.

Yet, the "secular" news media would only pounce on this "Hindu" animal sacrifice as anathema!

Anyone know more about this festival? Are these types of sacrifices more common in the villages of India/Nepal?

Well, there must be a reason for everything (including the existence of christians/muslims) so I suppose we shouldn't judge too quickly.

Only GOD can protect India!

SATYAMEVA JAYATE!

JAI HIND!

Namaskar.
    From my understanding this ritual is pre-Brahmin animist and their Shaktaism is more 'tantric'.

Quote Originally Posted by rcscwc View Post
    What is the problem if some Hindus still do animal sacrifice? why should anyone be shocked? How many are shocked when millions of animals are sacrificed by muslims?

Of course, meat is not prohibited to Hindus. But many do shun it. Show me a single jew/xian/muslim who shuns meat.

Most of Hindus repudiate animal sacrifice. Show me a single muslim who oppses sacrifice on Id?
    We do not progress by regressing to the level of others. Do not measure your actions by those of others. We, as Hindus, should see a problem with such a display of violence and carnage. We need to be the example against the more violent faiths. Our compassion is what makes us different. Maintain it always.

By the way, there is a christian sect called The Seventh-day Adventist Church. They have 16 million followers and they follow total vegetarianism based on the grounds of compassion.
    May the Supreme Spirit illumine us!

pranam

Quote Originally Posted by NetiNeti View Post
    We do not progress by regressing to the level of others. Do not measure your actions by those of others. We, as Hindus, should see a problem with such a display of violence and carnage. We need to be the example against the more violent faiths. Our compassion is what makes us different. Maintain it always.

By the way, there is a christian sect called The Seventh-day Adventist Church. They have 16 million followers and they follow total vegetarianism based on the grounds of compassion.
    now that is something to cultivate, compassion Karuna, one off the pillar of Vedic Dharma, i would not trust my mind or mind level, it has a habit of justifying even murders, so it is not surprising for those who want to eat meat, therefore i put my trust in Dharma, it implores me to be compassionate.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    pranam

now that is something to cultivate, compassion Karuna, one off the pillar of Vedic Dharma, i would not trust my mind or mind level, it has a habit of justifying even murders, so it is not surprising for those who want to eat meat, therefore i put my trust in Dharma, it implores me to be compassionate.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Ganeshprasad,

You speak very wisely. Our faith should be our guide, not out minds. Human minds justify all sorts of horrors. We must always hold compassion as the highest ideal.
    May the Supreme Spirit illumine us!

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    And furthermore, there weren't any "organic" vegetables available in the previous yuga (during Rama's reign) so meat-eating must have been quite rampant. Nonetheless, ahimsa is still a fundamental core of Hinduism. The difference of course is the "INTENTIONAL" causing of harm mentally, physically, or emotionally.
    Tattvamasi, what do you mean by "no organic vegetables" in Treta yuga?

That seems pretty strange for me...

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post

Strange indeed, thankfully it is not the opinion off Ramayan here it is and i quote

phalamulashanaa nitya.m bhaviShyaami na sa.mshayaH |

na tu duHkha.m kaiShyaami nivasantii tvayaa sadaa || raa 2.27.16 ||

I shall without doubt live on fruits and roots from day to day and
    shall not cause any annoyance to you while living with you (raamaayaNa,
    ayodhya-kaaNDa, 27.16). (spoken by Siitaa to Raama)

patra.m muula.m phala.m yattu alpa.m vaa yadi vaa bahu

daasyase svayamaahutya tanme.mR^itarasopamam || raa 2.30.15 ||

Anything you will give (me) in the shape of leaves, roots or fruits,
    bringing it yourself in a small or large quantity will taste like nectar to
    me (raamaayaNa, ayodhya-kaaNDa, 30.15). (spoken by Siitaa to Raama)

na maaturna pitustatra smariShyaami na veshmanaH |

aartavaanyupabhu~njaanaa puShpaaNi cha phalaani cha || raa 2.30.16 ||

Enjoying there seasonal flowers and fruits too I shall neither remember my
    mother nor father nor home (raamaayaNa, ayodhya-kaaNDa 30.16).

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Light Re: "Hindu" Animal Sacrifice in Nepal!!

For the record, in addition to the Seventh-day Adventists, they are Quakers, who tend to be often Vegetarian, along with many Sufis and Jews who chose to be Vegetarian for spiritual reasons (Rather then lacking "Kosher" meat). Not many, but they are there.
    Salutation be to you O Narayani, O you who are the good of all good, O auspicious Devi, who accomplish every object, the giver of refuge, O three eyed Gauri!

-Devi Mahatmya Chapter 11, Verse 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post

EDIT: Just saw GaneshPrasad's post above. Yes, he is right. I was just assuming, incorrectly, people in those days ate meat so it was the norm.

The thread is not at all about progress or regress. The poster of OP was AGHAST!! But never was he aghast at Id sacrifices. Was he?

Does a tiger regress or progress?

I do not take meat, but I don't preach to those who do.

I do not approve of BALI in temples, but I do not demolish them. In east and NE you will find many, many temples of goddess where there is a BALI. I NEVER went inside any of such temples, but the Mother is still revered by me. So I paid my respects from a distance.

Sir I hail from Punjab, where goddess or Shiva temples do not have BALI.

Quote Originally Posted by rcscwc View Post
    The thread is not at all about progress or regress. The poster of OP was AGHAST!! But never was he aghast at Id sacrifices. Was he?
    I mentioned this "animal sacrifice" because I had never heard of it before. Especially at such a scale and that too by Hindus. I am not preaching that it is "wrong". I was just surprised.

And, I know mlecchas (christians/muslims/jews etc.) do all sorts of unsavory things but I am not going to waste my time combating them in this regard. They are not going to change. When Hindus do it, I thought it was something rare and that is why I posted about it.

I also know certain sects of Hindus still do animal sacrifice so I wanted to discuss what the philosophy behind it was. Why some Hindus are very particular about not eating meat, sacrificing animals and others are not that way.

Thread Information