Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: General question on the Gita

General question on the Gita

Namaste,

I have been reading the Gita regularly. Of late I was wondering what is the purpose of description of the vishwarupa in the Gita. All other chapters prescribes what a man should do in life to attain God Realisation. I fail to understand how this particular chapter is beneficial to man as far as the description of the vishwarupa goes.

Thanks and Regards

Re: General question on the Gita

To show that spirituality is always ahead to technology .

vishwa rupa is the virat(huge) rupa of almighty lord . there r numeorus meanings explanations that can be derived out of this wonderful text . vishwarrupa gives as a faint indication as to the actual status of god in the cosmos . everything coming out from him and everything in the end is being devoured by him mercilessly -- the two aspects of the same truth . with unlimited hands eyes and legs he is omnipresent . its also establishes a link between god as the cause and maintainer of the universe and god as the closest person to ur heart . the link between abstraction and definite(krishna) . it is an insight into so many more aspects of god that exists .

Blessed Members,

A nice question. Vishwarupa.... To me, it indicates whatever knowledge man has, all of that are useless, since it can't describe god. So how to know god is the essence of Gita.

Question Re: General question on the Gita

Namaste

I have read the Gita two maybe three times but I do not recall "Vishwarupa". I have a translation by Eknath Easwaran, do you think that makes a difference, I think he may be a Shaivite? I also looked in "Dancing with Siva" by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami and found no mention in the index or lexicon.

So, can someone refer me to the proper chapter?

Satyaban
    Last edited by Satyaban; 02 December 2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spell check
    All is Siva there is nothing without Siva.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyaban View Post
    Namaste

I have read the Gita two maybe three times but I do not recall "Vishwarupa". I have a translation by Eknath Easwaran, do you think that makes a difference, I think he may be a Shaivite? I also looked in "Dancing with Siva" by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami and found no mention in the index or lexicon.

So, can someone refer me to the proper chapter?

Satyaban
    Namaskar Satyaban,

If I am not mistaken, the whole episode of Vishwarupa darshan is narrated in chapter 11 of the Gita. Though I should refrain commenting on the matters of Sanskrit language (I do not know Sanskrit), I think Vishwarupa means universal form. It where Lord Krishna shows Arjuna the universal form of Him.

I hope learned members can shed some light on this matter.

Namaste,

Thanks for all the above replies to my post. However I would further like to know how I can derive maximum benefit by reading this particular chapter on Vishwarupa Darshana Yoga. Also, just by reading this chapter can I derive benefit as it is only a description of the cosmic form.

Thanks and Regards

Thumbs Up Re: General question on the Gita

Quote Originally Posted by kshama View Post
    Namaskar Satyaban,

If I am not mistaken, the whole episode of Vishwarupa darshan is narrated in chapter 11 of the Gita. Though I should refrain commenting on the matters of Sanskrit language (I do not know Sanskrit), I think Vishwarupa means universal form. It where Lord Krishna shows Arjuna the universal form of Him.

I hope learned members can shed some light on this matter.

I believe you are correct. The story says Arjuna asked Krishna to show himself in all his glory.

Peace
    All is Siva there is nothing without Siva.

hi,
    For someone who starts a spiritual journey,or who reads the gita for the first time or who has no knowledge of the ONE AND ONLY ONE matter,most of the chapters in the gita will be useless.I am stating this based on my own experience.
    According to me,everyone who traces the right path of satya,will realise the vishwarupa at some point.In the gita,vishwarupa means:that who is krishna is indra and other gods.that who is the god is also the demon.that who is moving is also stationery.that who is living is also that which has no life.this ONE matter known by different names and identified by different specialities(gunas) is the only thing that there is.
    Also,the truth(SAT) is infalliable(it will never perish) and the ASAT is not permanant.Krishna is that SAT.SAT alone is the truth,which should be known.
    Sarva DharmAAn Parityajya

Quote Originally Posted by amith vikram View Post
    hi,
    For someone who starts a spiritual journey,or who reads the gita for the first time or who has no knowledge of the ONE AND ONLY ONE matter,most of the chapters in the gita will be useless.I am stating this based on my own experience.
    Namaste Amith,

I whole heartedly agree with your experience, which is also a shruti in Rig Veda and in Upanishad. It is said that without knowing the imperishable, the Vedas and the scriptures are not of much use. In fact, scriptures create more confusion, if one attempts to understand the rik etc. from the perspective of a discretized fragmented vision. And then smriti?? Smriti readers do not accept that the Visvarupa (the world soul) is already depicted in Yajur Veda in Rudra Trishati etc. The universality is thus lost, as if Rudra is one and Krishna is another. And interpretations by non-hindus???

Svet. U.

IV-8: Of what avail are the scriptures (vedas) to him who does not know that indestructible, highest Ethereal Being, in whom the gods and the Vedas reside ? Only those who know That are satisfied.
    IV-9: The Lord of Maya projects the Vedas, sacrifices, spiritual practices, past and future, religious observances, all that the Vedas declare, and the whole world including ourselves. The other, again, is bound by Maya in this.

For those who know not Mahesvara (visvarupa), the scriptures become source of another kind of bondage.

Also,the truth(SAT) is infalliable(it will never perish) and the ASAT is not permanant. Krishna is that SAT. SAT alone is the truth,which should be known.

Actually, Asat never was, never is, and never can be. Since asat is Asat (Non-Existent). What other is perceived as different from Sat (Brahman/Atman) is merely mithya and not the Asat.

BG 2.16 Naasato vidyate bhaavo naabhaavo vidyate satah;

However, although Shri Krishna says: "I am that unborn", He also says "I am Sat and Asat".

7.25 Naaham prakaashah sarvasya yogamaayaasamaavritah;
    Moodho’yam naabhijaanaati loko maamajamavyayam.

7.25. I am not manifest to all (as I am), being veiled by the Yoga Maya. This deluded world does not know Me, the unborn and imperishable.

9.19 Tapaamyahamaham varsham nigrihnaamyutsrijaami cha;
    Amritam chaiva mrityushcha sadasacchaahamarjuna.

9.19. (As the sun) I give heat; I withhold and send forth the rain; I am immortality and also death, existence and non-existence, O Arjuna!

So, there is need to know the akshara Sat, stripped of asat. And that I understand and believe is depicted in the Rig Veda:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...&postcount=305

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 05 December 2009 at 07:37 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information