Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Atma Caitanya?

Re: Atma Caitanya?

"You mean you were pondering without having an idea about it?"

Pretty much.. Thats why I'm reading and posting questions. I haven't gone any further than the first chapter of the Advaita Vedanta. I don't want go onto the next chapter to until I understand the first chapter. If I don't read how will I know what to ponder in the first place? Right now I have just been dealing with 3 terms.. Antahkarana, Chidabhasa, and Atma Chaitanya. I'm having a real hard time with these 3 and the posts I'm getting are still twisting my mind into a knot. I would think this would be easy but I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post

Pretty much.. Thats why I'm reading and posting questions. I haven't gone any further than the first chapter of the Advaita Vedanta. I don't want go onto the next chapter to until I understand the first chapter. If I don't read how will I know what to ponder in the first place? Right now I have just been dealing with 3 terms.. Antahkarana, Chidabhasa, and Atma Chaitanya. I'm having a real hard time with these 3 and the posts I'm getting are still twisting my mind into a knot. I would think this would be easy but I just don't get it.
    Ah ! That is the correct way for a real seeker, Trisilex ! What is the use of reading volumes of books when we can't correctly understand their contents. It is always better to be slow but sure that there is no confusion.

Advaita is not easy. You start understand it correctly only after reaching a certain threshold. Till that time, we must be patient & keep pondering over each term, each word.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post

Pretty much.. Thats why I'm reading and posting questions.
    I haven't gone any further than the first chapter of the Advaita Vedanta. I don't want go onto the next chapter to until I understand the first chapter.

Beautiful.

If I don't read how will I know what to ponder in the first place?

Thats true.

Right now I have just been dealing with 3 terms.. Antahkarana, Chidabhasa, and Atma Chaitanya. I'm having a real hard time with these 3 and the posts I'm getting are still twisting my mind into a knot. I would think this would be easy but I just don't get it.

I wish you get it soon.

namaste Tirisilex.

Your question is:
    Atma chaitanya, chidAbAsa, antaH-karaNa--what exactly are they? And what is the relationship of one to another?

Well, the book 'panchAdashI' by shrI VidyAraNya svAmi has the answer.

Essential Definitions

Atma chaitanya, as everyone has defined it here, is the pure consciousness of Brahman, which resides immanent and transcendent in all the forms of Creation.

chidAbAsa is the reflection of the pure consciousness of Brahman in the intellect.

antaHkaraNa is another name for the mind.

Explanation of the Terms

• The term chaitanya is from the words chit--consciousness, and anya--inexhaustible. Thus chaitanya is inexhaustible consciousness of Brahman. The chit--consciousness, in chaitanya is the same as the chit in sat-chit-Ananda, existence-consciousness-bliss which is the nature of Brahman.

chidAbAsa is from the words chit--consciousness, and bhAsa--light, lustre, impression. Thus chidAbAsa is the impressed or reflected consciousness of chaitanya--Brahman, the pure consciousness.

antaHkaraNa is from the combination of antaH--inner, karaNa--organ. Thus antaHkaraNa is the inner organ of man, which is the mind. In fact the very name human--manuShya, is because of the mind--manas.

Nature and Relationship

• The nature of Atma chaitanya is to reside immanent and transcendent in all forms of Creation--animate and inanimate. Thus, Brahman is the substratum of everything in the Universe, remaining as a silent witness.

chidAbAsa we said is the reflected consciousness of Brahman. Where does the reflection take place? In other words, what is the media of its reflection? The media is the intellect. Thus the reflection of Brahman in the intellect is known as chidAbAsa.

Now, 'we have a situation' here: because of mutual superimposition between Brahman and the intellect, the chidAbAsa identifies itself with the intellect! This is like a reflected image identifying itself with the mirror which reflects it, rather than the source of light. The image in the mirror is only gross vibration so this cannot happen, whereas Brahman imparts its nature of consciousness to its reflection, hence the 'situation'.

The chidAbAsa thus identified with the intellect is the jIva--individual self. The jIva, i.e., the chidAbAsa,--which is like a proxy server, to use an analogy of Infotech--looks upon himself as an agent and an enjoyer.

Because of its identification with the gross and subtle bodies, the jIva attributes to himself the joys and sorrows which pertain to the bodies alone. When the jIva gives up his identification with the bodies, he realizes that he is the substratum, Brahman, which is pure consciousness and devoid of association with anything.

• What about the role of antaHkaraNa in this relation between Brahman and jIva? We said that chidAbAsa is reflection of Brahman in the intellect and that antaHkaraNa is another name for mind. What is the relation between the intellect and the mind?

Although, the medium of reflection of Brahman is only one which is the antaHkaraNa--mind, it carries different names according to its four functions. When the mind cogitates it is known as the manas--mind. When it comes to a decision, it is called buddhi--intellect. When it stores information and experiences, it is called cittam--individual consciousness. The notion of 'I-ness' which is behind all these functions is called ahaMkAra--ego.

How did this medium of antaHkaraNa rise? At the command of Ishvara the five subtle elements ether, air, fire, water and earth arose from the part of Prakriti in which tamas predominates. The five subtle organs of sense, namely, those of hearing, touch, sight, taste and smell respectively arose from the sattva parts of the five subtle elements ether, air, fire, water and earth. From a combination of the sattva parts of all the subtle elements arose the antaHkaraNa--mind.

Thus, in the Ishvara lIlA--God's play, of Creation, the Self becomes individual selves like the actors in a play; and the selves act out their roles in the play of one life, get deeply attached to the roles they play, and feel intensely sad and anxious when the play is over. In the next play in another stage, they assume different roles and again get deeply involved in them. The cycle of the lIlA thus goes on and on.
    Last edited by saidevo; 28 December 2009 at 11:19 AM.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

That was the best answer yet.. I could follow and understand what you were talking about.. THANK YOU!!!

I would just like to thank all of you for your help.. I finally have a grasp of what these words mean..

Thread Information