Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blind faith or Bhakti.

Blind faith or Bhakti.

Namaskar Blessed Members of the Forum,

This is another topic that I was thinking for such a long time. There should be a perfect definition of bhakti and blind faith.

1) What distinguishes bhakti from blind faith?
    2) How to know whether we have bhakti or blind faith?
    3) How to make sure our bhakti is not tainted by blind faith?

Yours answers, thoughts and opinions are welcomed. Thank you.

Re: Blind faith or Bhakti.

Pranam Kshama ji

Quote Originally Posted by kshama View Post

This is another topic that I was thinking for such a long time. There should be a perfect definition of bhakti and blind faith.
    i don't think that is possible because in both case one has to have some amount of faith. one can only be true to one self, it would be impossible to judge others.

Knowledge

see that your friends and relatives are not suddenly disturb by your behavior. one should be calm and composed, our action should be conducive to peace and harmony.one becomes free of anxiety and as the love for God is increasing, one's needs become simple as the bhakti improves.

If there is no karuna (mercy) in your action, if your desires and hate is still very strong have a reality check.
    have a look is your bhakti to the sweet loving God or the institute.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaskar Ganeshprashad Ji and all,

Thank you for the views.

Yours answers, thoughts and opinions are welcomed. Thank you.
    Namaste: Why do we need 'perfect' definitions? Hinduism isn't like that. We each can have our own definition, or no definition at all. Personally, I feel bhakti cultivates 'not so blind' faith. Some go about doing things others would never understand. Undertaking a long walking yatra might be an example. Many would say, "why not just get on a bus?"

I openly admit to having blind faith.

So in the end, the whole idea is so extremely personal. We're not like a line of ants following in each other's footsteps. Some go here. Some go there. Direct line between you and God, really just between you and your innermost being.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskar Eastern Mind Ji,

Pleased to hear your views. Well why do we need perfect definitions you said? In my humble opinion, there are many things in metaphysics, religion or spirituality that are ambiguous in nature. Many terms are often misinterpreted, many things are misunderstood, why? Because nobody has the perfect knowlege. Many people, including me, are not highly evolved like the seers or rishis of yore. So we need some precise definitions on few terms so that we apply the knowledge in ourlives. Lack here and there leads to ignorance, and ignorance is not bliss.

Perhaps people have seen time and again, that there are some people who have immense faith, but they are the ones who end up in depression of some sort. Why is that? Is he/she having a bhakti that is tainted by blind faith?

People say pure bhakti is in a person who is of no expectations. So can we say, people who are with expectations from God, aren't having bhakti? These statements confuses people, so that's is why there is a HUGE NEED in everyone to distinguish between bhakti and blind faith. I believe, if we all set our foot in the right path, eventually we will reach the destination.

Vanakkam kshama:

Please have a look. (Satay, if you get time, can you change this to the simpler format, 'here' I don't know how.)

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...e&ved=0CAcQkAE

The problem is, as I suggested before, Hinduism's vastness. There is no central authority, and probably never will be, fortunately. The link would have been a start only. You are entitled to the opinion that a definition would be useful, even necessary. My opinion differs. I don't come here to argue.

Of course in metaphysics things are ambiguous. This is preposterous to the rationalist view. But if I stand in front of a deity and see Him wink at me as I pray, its just another act of mystic reality to me. Try telling that to my rationalist friend and he says I was either imagining or hallucinating, and of course he has every right to think that, and its corollary that I'm a bit of a basket case. But he could argue all day long with me until he's blue in the face, and he still won't convince me. We both have the right to think the way we do based on our own experiences, or lack of.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you for your reply. I feel to channel my questions in this forum because I would like to get the correct perspectives in spirituality and many more. There are people of many walks of life here. So everyone's experiences and views and opinions will make way for aspirants,including myself to further equip ourselves with the right knowledge.

No one comes here to argue, a forum is a place where discussions are held. Sometimes people get too emotional, that's natural. I see only positive things in good or bad things.

Thank you for your reply. I feel to channel my questions in this forum because I would like to get the correct perspectives in spirituality and many more. There are people of many walks of life here. So everyone's experiences and views and opinions will make way for aspirants,including myself to further equip ourselves with the right knowledge.

No one comes here to argue, a forum is a place where discussions are held. Sometimes people get too emotional, that's natural. I see only positive things in good or bad things.
    Vanakkam: Yes I agree. That is why most of us come to this forum. Some do come to argue but they usually get sent packing, or become too emotional and leave on their own.

Regarding 'correct perspective' and 'right knowledge', in my opinion, there is no such thing for everyone. Your correct perspective is the one that makes the most sense to you as is mine to me. Even how people come to these personal correct perspectives varies. Some get it from direct experiences. Some get it from scripture. Some get it from a Guru. Some get it from divine mystical insight. So any looking for a universal 'correct' perspective is folly. You need to look at yourself, and decide what works for you. This is just my opinion.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you for your reply. In my opinion truth is always there, right there infront of our eyes. But visions of people, including mine, are clouded due to many reasons. So the truth seems not there.

You are right there are many ways to know the correct perspectives. Based on that premise that is why many people come to ask questions or discuss in this forum.

Coming back to the topic, let's us hope that people will see the truth somehow here.

Cool Re: Blind faith or Bhakti.

Namaste Kashma G,

Why you made two threads with same name ?

Thread Information