Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Hindu Universalism

Re: Hindu Universalism

, but I know that in the Gaudiya Vaishnava sampradaya, Bhaktivinoda Thakura in passing regards
    Muhammad as the Supreme Teacher of Sakhya Rasa (mood of friendship) towards the Lord.
    Swami Vivekananda in his discourses several times mentioned that Muhammad was a yogabhrasta and fallen soul from yoga with deranged mental status and literally a pshyco with perverted religious thinking.
    "
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Re: Hindu Universalism

Interesting discussion. Just finishing reading. Looking at Adi Sankara's (and the other 2 great Acharyas) life it is clear that they would state all religions do not have the same goal (they felt even all 3 paths dont have the same goal!). But I am concerned that even well regarded sages like Kanchi Paramacharya and Ramakrishna have appeared to allude that all religions have same goal. If it is my misunderstanding please correct it.

From Kanchi Paramacharya:
    "One big difference between Hinduism and other faiths is that it does not proclaim that it alone shows the path to liberation. Our Vedic religion alone has not practiced conversion and the reason for it is that our forefathers were well aware that all religions are nothing but different paths to realise the one and only Paramatman"
    From Ramakrishna:
    'Never feel that your path alone is right and that the paths of others a wrong and full of errors. Hindus, Mussalmans, and Christians are going to the same destination by different paths. A man can realize God by following his own path if his prayer is sincere"

Swami Dayananda has published on this subject. You can probably google and see the full publication. Some excerpts:
    "All prayers are valid. But all religions do not have same goal"
    There is no concept of sin or original sin in Hinduism
    "Heaven is impermanent and it is a non-verifiable belief"
    "Please understand, we do not say all religions lead to the same goal. It is wrong. But all worship Iswara, if they worship. Some religions do not have Ishwara. But Ishwara is replaced by something else, whatever that may be. But they have a concept that God who is sitting in heaven and created the world, and he is formless, beats all reason and logic. Does a formless God require a location? Does formless space require a location?"
    "Honestly, I am telling you, we can live in harmony if we give respect to people to have their beliefs. And Hindus do not have problems in this. We do not think that God will be confused, if you pray in any language."
    "Moksha, liberation, in other words, is here and now, while one is living. Moksha is not heaven-bound."
    Here is a Christian writer who has come to the same conclusion.
    http://www.comparativereligion.com/conclusion.html
    Last edited by Seeker123; 29 January 2012 at 09:10 AM.

Thread Information