Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hindu Universalism

Re: Hindu Universalism

namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    First, this is the teaching of Swami Ranganatha. Second, yes there are Gnostics and Sufis.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Are Gnostics accepted by the Christian church?

How long have I been sleeping?
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste Atanu.

I knew you would come up with this article! It is addressed to the Christians at San Francisco and not to the Hindus in India. ----.
    Namaste Saidevoji,

I also knew what the reply would be. So, I bow out as I have to pack. Just this:

Swami Chinmayananda

-----The values seem to be different. at least in emphasis in different religions and a student who studies various religions may find that one religion emphasizes one set of ideals and another religion.a different set of ideals. Buddhism asserts one maxim, Hinduism another, Islam and Christianity yet another. But if one closely examines the maxims, one discovers that the fundamental principle is one and the same though the language and the emphasis are different. Just as two doctors would prescribe to the same patient on separate occasions two seemingly different prescriptions for the same disease, those who understand the science of medicine would know that the prescriptions are the same, only in name are they apparently different.------

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

namaskar,

If all religions are the same, why some of our traditional sects don't accept 'foreigners' in their fold or even in some temples?

Why did adi shakara defeat buddhism if buddhism is same as all other religions?

Why establish maths all over bharata to spread your teachings if all religions are the same?

If there is nothing special and distinct in Hinduism then why bother to even remain a hindu?

Honestly, I don't get it.
    satay

Only if our traditional gurus shankara, ramanuja and madva had read this first...

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Swami Chinmayananda

-----The values seem to be different. at least in emphasis in different religions and a student who studies various religions may find that one religion emphasizes one set of ideals and another religion.a different set of ideals. Buddhism asserts one maxim, Hinduism another, Islam and Christianity yet another. But if one closely examines the maxims, one discovers that the fundamental principle is one and the same though the language and the emphasis are different. Just as two doctors would prescribe to the same patient on separate occasions two seemingly different prescriptions for the same disease, those who understand the science of medicine would know that the prescriptions are the same, only in name are they apparently different.------

Om Namah Shivaya
    satay

namaste Satay.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    yes, why indeed?

Isn't it true that just the fact that you are pondering this in a public forum would get you labelled as a hindu extremist or belonging to hindutva or of being a nationalist?
    For me, Hindutava or Hindu Nationalism are not bad words or the inclination towards them a bad trait that a Hindu shoud be shamed of. As a Hindu I wish to live in an atmosphere of peaceful co-existence and mutual respect with all my other Hindu sects, other Hindu religions, as well as the Abrahamic religious strains in India, as long as they respect Hinduism, are proud of their Indian heritage, and are willing to reform their religions on the issue of conversion and intolerance.

As you have rightly observed, the modern Hindu sages of traditional Hinduism do not consider it worthwhile to examine and scriptures of Abrahamic religions, which only goes to show that the Hindus do not need to do it either, if we are true followers of our sages.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Only if our traditional gurus shankara, ramanuja and madva had read this first...
    So, now Chinmayananda is also not acceptable?

Probably you have not read fully. Shankara possibly could not compare, on account of being pre-dated. He would have stripped away the duality just as He did with Buddha. But I do not know whether you know or not that Yamunacharya was actually a yavana (as per Satyarth Prakash). And as for Madhavacharya it has been posted above, how He believed and convinced a sultan that Allah and Narayana were not different.

Thanks for your and every one's patience.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

namaskar,

If all religions are the same, why some of our traditional sects don't accept 'foreigners' in their fold or even in some temples?
    namaste Satay,

I think the question is akin to asking ------. I let go.

Better to ask, why some Vaisnavas even do not enter Shiva temple? No one says that religions are same.

I will repeat what Swami Vivekananda said: Gita contains Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad. That is why Sanatana dharma is Sanatana and not neo, which has a birth. Sanatana has no birth and no death.

Om Namah Shivaya

namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste Satay.

For me, Hindutava or Hindu Nationalism are not bad words or the inclination towards them a bad trait that a Hindu shoud be shamed of. As a Hindu I wish to live in an atmosphere of peaceful co-existence and mutual respect with all my other Hindu sects, other Hindu religions, as well as the Abrahamic religious strains in India, as long as they respect Hinduism, are proud of their Indian heritage, and are willing to reform their religions on the issue of conversion and intolerance.
    Amen to that. 110% agreed.

As you have rightly observed, the modern Hindu sages of traditional Hinduism do not consider it worthwhile to examine and scriptures of Abrahamic religions, which only goes to show that the Hindus do not need to do it either, if we are true followers of our sages.
    This is why I was wondering about the aunthentic hindu guru who would term Koran as a revealed scripture and why would they do it? There is no reason to term any scripture other than the Vedas as a revealed.

Note that even Gita is not termed as shruti and some hindus here on this forum have proudly reminded us of the fact that Gita is smriti and puranas are just some kakameme stories. So if that's the case, then it doesn't make logical sense to accept that an authentic guru would term something non-indian as 'revealed' or shruti unless there was some political agenda or some other propaganda.
    satay

The ultimate spiritual truths are true in every religious teaching. We all know what it means to be good, to be charitable, or recognize that God is Light, God is mercy, etc.

The ULTIMATE spiritual truths expressed in any language or in any religious context are still spiritual truths. But that is not the same as to say no error exists which blocks out those truths in greater and lesser degrees.

If no error exists, which is the real assertion of radical universalism, then why are we reading scriptures at all? Everything is the same truth, what is to learn? Learning implies vivek/discrimination. Radical Universalism is true ignorance because it is indiscriminate and swallows error for truth, and asserts universality and sameness even of those who oppose and undermine our teachings and threaten our lives. So instead of enlightenment it amounts to shameful foolishness.

Much like demonstrated on these two videos. Please watch!

Hindu comments on Dr. Zakir Naik's lecture on Hinduism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeJaNooRHL0

Every Muslim Should be a Terrorist - Mullah Zakir Naik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxk5AAA5FbI

namaskar,
    There is no reason to term any scripture other than the Vedas as a revealed..
    May I ask why so? Does Veda mean the written book or the silent realisation of the Heart?

Do you think that all sages who have been cited are all bluffing?

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information