Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: magic

magic

Namaste,

How is magic viewed in Hinduism? Also are there shamans within Hinduism?

Love to you,
    Heartfully

Re: magic

Vannakkam: Life is magic! The Gods are magic. God is magic. Prayer is magic. Inner beings who guide are magic. Gurus and mystics perform magic, on the inside by realligning kundalini currents, or opening astral passsages, or closing psychic side paths. Siddhis obtained or granted because of sustained devotion or realisation are magic.

But it is not a MAGIC SHOW!

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

That's good to hear. Some view magic as manipulation, others view it as mingling with Destiny and Possibility.

To me, it is a form of prayer.

When we truly consider the world around us, it is an amazing mystery. What makes us breathe? Why does what's not solid appear solid? How does the whales voice travel so many miles? It is an awe inspiring mystery, isn't it?

Science tries to numb us to that sense of awe by giving it reasons, but scientific discoveries often leave me even more in awe of this amazing universe we somehow exist in.

Love to you,
    Heartfully

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Life is magic! The Gods are magic. God is magic. Prayer is magic. Inner beings who guide are magic. Gurus and mystics perform magic, on the inside by realligning kundalini currents, or opening astral passsages, or closing psychic side paths. Siddhis obtained or granted because of sustained devotion or realisation are magic.

But it is not a MAGIC SHOW!

Aum Namasivaya

Interesting question. As a scientist I do not believe in magic, and I think that belief in magic often comes from a lack of knowledge about how things work. A long time ago people used to think that certain spectacular chemical reactions were magic. Today we no longer believe this. So I think that things which today are called magic will cease to be called as such once we know how they work.

I do, however, believe in the supernatural, and I believe that God isn't restrained from doing anything. But the difference here is that I believe supernatural occurences are controlled by God and not ordinary mortals. In ancient India rishis would sometimes perform supernatural deeds, but these only worked because God obeys the wishes of those who have surrendered to him. I believe this is different from magic because magic is indiscriminant, whereas God's power is only used as per his will.

namaste,

sanjaya perhaps magic and feats that are done are simply done with the power of intention or will power?

Just a guess
    -juan

I've heard that there are Shaktas who practice magic and bring about supernatural changes. I don't know much about that, though, and I'm not going to get involved with it in any way.

Namaste,

Sanjaya, what is the work you do? I used to feel things were less mysterious when science could explain it. But I tend to be like a child who keeps saying "why?" even after science explains it. It still leaves me in awe that there is so much happening within this universe. I understand gravity and scientific reasons for wings making birds fly, but I still feel a sense of awe when I start contemplating how some things cause the ability to fly. Its hard for me to put this into words.

Knowing that magic has been practiced in so many of the oldest religions, I wondered how it has been viewed/practiced/forbidden in Hinduism.

Love to you,
    Heartfully

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    Interesting question. As a scientist I do not believe in magic, and I think that belief in magic often comes from a lack of knowledge about how things work. A long time ago people used to think that certain spectacular chemical reactions were magic. Today we no longer believe this. So I think that things which today are called magic will cease to be called as such once we know how they work.

I do, however, believe in the supernatural, and I believe that God isn't restrained from doing anything. But the difference here is that I believe supernatural occurences are controlled by God and not ordinary mortals. In ancient India rishis would sometimes perform supernatural deeds, but these only worked because God obeys the wishes of those who have surrendered to him. I believe this is different from magic because magic is indiscriminant, whereas God's power is only used as per his will.

Namaste,

Juan, our thoughts and emotions do have a profound effect at the atmosphere surrounding us.

I used to think that all magic was superstitious, but I think there is a lesson in it about how our intentions effect the universe. Mr. Emoto's pictures of drops of water is the type of thing that causes me to wonder how things like a wiccan spell might actually work.

Another thing that caused me to feel a sense of wonder about how we interact with our environment was when I was at a craft fair and at a jewelers booth I picked up a beautiful piece of jasper (I think it was called "Painted Indian" jasper). There was a fascinating sense like a buzz up and down my spine.

One reason I wondered about magic in Hinduism is how our knowledge of chakras is a gift from within Hinduism. Its interesting to consider how much we can change just by working with chakras.

I have become more childlike in the past couple years by allowing myself to not have all the answers. Its so easy to let a word or a few words take the magic out of life. Once we know our colors, we stop asking as many questions about colors. We look at the sky with wonder when we're young and once we know the sky is blue and the it is the sun, moon and stars shining, we lose that awesome feeling.

To me, that awe is a way of honoring the magnificence of Divine Omnipotence. That means I have a lot of concerns about how using magic to change Divine plans. But maybe we are part of the way the plans are made?

Love to you,
    Heartfully

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    namaste,

sanjaya perhaps magic and feats that are done are simply done with the power of intention or will power?

Just a guess
    -juan

Namaste,

I think that is great heartfully. It is like having a beginners mind as the people of Zen say. If you know about Mr. Emoto then I am sure you watched What the Bleep do We Know. The film was just amazing. Quantum PHysics is my favorite science. If you are not aware there is a follow up film called "How far down the Rabbits hole do you wanna go?". It is awesome it contains some of the same scenes but further explanations and also clarifications of what was said in what the Bleep do we know.

I truely believe just like you that our thoughts effect what we see and the environment. The Buddha said all that we are is what we have thought up. So if we have negative thoughts all the time our world will be gloomy, if we have positive uplifting thoughts we see God ineverything

Namaste,

I loved What the Bleep Do We Know. That movie was like a wake up call for me to stop looking at the world without wonder. Quantum physics is something I would like to study more. What are some books you would recommend to those who are just starting to study it? I will have to google for websites also.

I haven't seen the follow up film to What the Bleep Do We Know?, but you reminded me of how I wanted to see it so I'll add it to my list. Muchas Gracias!

It is interesting how, in reality, we are making up what we see. We define the world, but it is not what the world is, its what we are.

I was just thinking to myself about half an hour ago: How do we know we know what we know when maybe we don't know? Yup, that's how crazy I get in my head sometimes, lol.

Love to you,
    Heartfully

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

I think that is great heartfully. It is like having a beginners mind as the people of Zen say. If you know about Mr. Emoto then I am sure you watched What the Bleep do We Know. The film was just amazing. Quantum PHysics is my favorite science. If you are not aware there is a follow up film called "How far down the Rabbits hole do you wanna go?". It is awesome it contains some of the same scenes but further explanations and also clarifications of what was said in what the Bleep do we know.

I truely believe just like you that our thoughts effect what we see and the environment. The Buddha said all that we are is what we have thought up. So if we have negative thoughts all the time our world will be gloomy, if we have positive uplifting thoughts we see God ineverything

Thread Information