Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vishnu Sahasranamam

cyu means “to move to and fro or shake about”, “to stir, move from one’s place, go away, retire, or turn off”, “to deviate or abandon”.

cyu means “to come forth, come out, drop, trickle, or stream forth” or “to fall down, fall, or slide”.

cyu means “to fall from any divine existence (so as to be re-born as a man)”, “to die”, “to fall, be deprived, or lose”, “to fall away, fade away, disappear, vanish, or perish”, “to fail”, “to sink down or sink (both literally and figuratively, and particularly in reference to the series of re-births)”, or “to decrease”.

The passive past participle of cyu is cyuta, and so:

cyuta means “moved to and fro, shaken about, stirred, moved from one’s place, gone away, retired, turned off, deviated, abandoned, emerged, exited, dropped, trickled, poured, fallen down, fallen, or slidden”.

cyuta means “fallen from divine existence, died, fallen, deprived, lost, fallen away, faded away, disappeared, vanished, perished, failed, sunk down, sunken, or decreased”.

cyut means “moving, shaking, causing to fall, removing, or destroying”.

acyuta-cyut means “moving the unmoved, shaking the unshaken, removing the unremoved, destroying the undestroyed, or causing the unfallen to fall”.

And so, acyuta plainly means “unmoved, unshaken, unremoved, undestroyed, or unfallen”.

cyotaye means “I cause to flow, I cause to trickle, I cause to ooze, I cause to fall down, I cause to stream forth, or I lixiviate (i.e. wash or percolate the soluble matter away)”.

acyotaye or acyotye means “I caused to flow, I caused to fall, I caused to wash away, etc.”.

cyotayai or cyotyai or cyutyai means “let me fall! or I must fall!, etc.”, or “let me cause fall or I must cause fall, etc.”.

cyotaya or cyota or cyuta means “fall! or may you fall!, etc.”.

And so, acyuta is simply the imperative “do not fall! or may you not fall, etc.”.

cyotayeH or cyutyAH or cyuteH means “you should fall, etc.”.

cyutyAm means “I should fall, etc.”

cyutye means “I am falling, etc.”.

cyotye or cyotaye means “I am caused to be falling, etc.”.

cyoteH means “may you fall, etc.”.

cyutita is the passive past participle of cyut ~ i.e. “fallen, etc.”.

cyotayan means “caused to be fallen, etc.”.

cyotan or cyutan is the active present participle of cyut ~ i.e. “falling, etc.”.

acyutye or acyutam means “I fell, etc.”.

acyutaH means “you fell, etc.”.

acyotayaH means “ you were caused to fall, etc.”.

cyut is equivalent to shcut or shcyut.

cyut, shcyut, and shcut, mean “to ooze, trickle, exude, drop, or distil”, or “to shed, pour out, or sprinkle”.

And cyuta is the imperative “ooze! trickle! exude! drop! distil! shed! pour! or sprinkle!”.

And so, acyuta commands “do not bleed! do not pass away! do not drop! or do not fall!”.

cyut, shcyut, and shcut, indicate “distilling, sprinkling, or shedding”.

And cyuta means “distilling, sprinkling, shedding, or dropping”.

So that acyuta means “not distilling, not sprinkling, not shedding, or not dropping”, and thus “not allowing to fall”.

So that acyuta means “not distilling, not sprinkling, not shedding, or not dropping”, and thus “not allowing to fall”.
    That is a purely inferred meaning. Not falling does not really imply "not allowing to fall".

Obviously so, since even the great scholar and vedantin Parasara Bhattar had to rely on the derivation na cyAvayati iti, instead of pressing home with na cyuta iti. It is not so simple. Infact, some of the other nAmAs convey this meaning in a straight forward manner, without the need to "insert" anything to derive this meaning.

Since there are thousand names, and each one is said to be a name of the Lord based on his guNas, each name must be so interpreted as to make the most sense, that is the idea. Each name may have multiple meanings for sure, in such a case, the effort should be not to repeat it for other names.

My reason for this is simple:

Let us take acyuta:. Simply means "one who does not fall", and an inferred meaning would be such a being would be very great, and must be the greatest soul - but this kind of derivation is not necessary because the name paramAtma has also been provided. Such an approach has been adhered to by all people who commentated on Sahasranama.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

cyut means “to drop”; cyuta means “drop!” or “dropping”; and acyuta means “do not drop!” or “not dropping”.

And not dropping plainly means not letting fall!

Ananta

oM anantAya namaH ... ?

Exclamation

viSvaH means “injurious, hurtful, and mischievous”.

And you have given the mantra oM viSvAya namaH, which means “Bow to the Harmful and Hurtful” !

vishvaH means “all, every, whole, entire, universal, all-pervading, all-containing, and omnipresent”.

And the correct mantra is oM vishvasmai namaH.
    Last edited by sarabhanga; 30 March 2006 at 01:43 AM.

Thread Information