Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Fake gurus and organizations.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    -
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    0

    Fake gurus and organizations.

    Namaskar Blessed Members of the Forum,

    I intrigued and struggle to understand, why fake organizations, bogus gurus are so much prevalent everywhere in the world. In India, there are many ''famous'' guru's and baba's that are proven to be fake in the media, yet people still go to them why?

    It is said, in order to get out of the darkness, people need to find a guru so there will be light. But, what if the guru him/herself is epitome of darkness.

    One may say, only good people will have satguru, the ones with bad karma will get fake guru. Now, the suffering of people with bad karma is not given attention at all, why?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    Vanakkam kshama:

    We walk a very fine line when we open up this topic. My advice is to avoid it. Who are we to judge whether or not a guru is fake? Besides, what good can come of it? If it is a really serious matter, then the laws of the country take over. If not, then the universal law of karma, created by God himself, most surely will. The actions of others are really none of our business. My own Guru taught his devotees to show respect to all other Gurus, and to act towards them in the way which I just mentioned. Privately, you have the right to think whichever way you want to. But to openly criticize another's Guru is openly criticize that person themselves. So then we create the karma of having someone criticize us.

    Aum Namasivaya

  3. #3
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    -
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vanakkam kshama:

    We walk a very fine line when we open up this topic. My advice is to avoid it. Who are we to judge whether or not a guru is fake? Besides, what good can come of it? If it is a really serious matter, then the laws of the country take over. If not, then the universal law of karma, created by God himself, most surely will. The actions of others are really none of our business. My own Guru taught his devotees to show respect to all other Gurus, and to act towards them in the way which I just mentioned. Privately, you have the right to think whichever way you want to. But to openly criticize another's Guru is openly criticize that person themselves. So then we create the karma of having someone criticize us.

    Aum Namasivaya

    Vanakkam Eastern Mind Ji,

    I beg to differ. There are many false guru's out there. They make use of gullible people.

    The wise said, that in this Kali yuga, there will be false gurus. That's why we should learn more about our religion and scriptures and equip ourselves with basic knowledge. By this way at least, one can properly discern which is good and which is bad. In some cases, mere blind faith will do no good.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    Quote Originally Posted by kshama View Post

    I beg to differ. There are many false guru's out there. They make use of gullible people.
    Vanakkam:

    They may be false to you, but obviously they are not false to their followers. (Otherwise they would have no followers.) I stand by my previous statement. But as I said, if you want to go ahead and criticize, that is your right. Just don't expect me to jump in.

    Aum Namasivaya

  5. #5
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    -
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    Vanakkam Eastern Mind Ji,

    Thanks for your views. My intention is good. There are good gurus, and people have been ardent followers till today. There are bogus guru's too, they too have ardent followers. That's a fact.

    Our devotion, the yearning for a guru, and our emotional state, in certain cases are being exploited. That's why I put forth the questions initially.

    How to save ourselves from being fooled, that's the main question of the thread and not to criticize any gurus. For me, whether you opine or not, it doesn't matter. What matters to me most, is how to ascertain aspirants, like myself, not to get involved in any bogus organizations. Namaste.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    December 2007
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,218
    Rep Power
    4720

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    Namaste Kshama,

    You must know if the person you are taking as Guru is genuine or fake. There is a story about a saint, perhaps Daadu, if I correctly remember the name.

    Once a rich man, (let's assume his name as "Seeker") went to see Daadu to have him as his Guru. On the way to Daadu's home, Seeker found one man working in the fields. Seeker was carrying some gifts which he brought for Daadu to offer him & it was midday summer time. So, Seeker was tired & thought to take the help of that man. He approached that man & asked him to carry that load to Daadu's home & promised him to pay for that help. That man agreed immediately. He took that burden & carried it to Daadu's home. However, the house looked empty. Daadu was not there. Seeker asked that man, ". Here lives a great saint, Daadu ji. I came to ask him to accept me as his disciple. Do you know where he might have gone ?". The man smiled lovingly & said, "I am Daadu" ! Seeker was shocked ! He feel upon Daadu's feet & started weeping & saying : "Guruji, forgive me for my sins .... I asked you to carry my burden .... I am the most wretched man on this earth ... please forgive me though I don't deserve to be forgiven ... ". Daadu lifted from below, embraced him & said these comforting words : "My son, when you go market for buying a pitcher (made of mud), don't you hit it with your fingers to test if it is ok ? Here, you have come to take a Guru which is going to be the most important thing in your life ... so, what is wrong in testing the Guru ? By helping you carry that load, I showed you that I can carry all your burdens. I would have failed if I didn't."

    My Guru ji says that you must be careful in choosing the right Guru. Guru must be Self-realised. He must be ordained by God for being a Guru. He also says that we attract people, Guru, friends, wife, son/daughter, employer depending upon our spiritual vibrations. So, imho, it is better to do some homework first on the Spiritiual journey & then only after a certain stage go for looking for a Guru. But that is my opinion only. There are many times when you have encounter with a real Guru just by His grace ! If that is the case, why wait ??

    OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    -
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Kshama,

    You must know if the person you are taking as Guru is genuine or fake. There is a story about a saint, perhaps Daadu, if I correctly remember the name.

    Once a rich man, (let's assume his name as "Seeker") went to see Daadu to have him as his Guru. On the way to Daadu's home, Seeker found one man working in the fields. Seeker was carrying some gifts which he brought for Daadu to offer him & it was midday summer time. So, Seeker was tired & thought to take the help of that man. He approached that man & asked him to carry that load to Daadu's home & promised him to pay for that help. That man agreed immediately. He took that burden & carried it to Daadu's home. However, the house looked empty. Daadu was not there. Seeker asked that man, ". Here lives a great saint, Daadu ji. I came to ask him to accept me as his disciple. Do you know where he might have gone ?". The man smiled lovingly & said, "I am Daadu" ! Seeker was shocked ! He feel upon Daadu's feet & started weeping & saying : "Guruji, forgive me for my sins .... I asked you to carry my burden .... I am the most wretched man on this earth ... please forgive me though I don't deserve to be forgiven ... ". Daadu lifted from below, embraced him & said these comforting words : "My son, when you go market for buying a pitcher (made of mud), don't you hit it with your fingers to test if it is ok ? Here, you have come to take a Guru which is going to be the most important thing in your life ... so, what is wrong in testing the Guru ? By helping you carry that load, I showed you that I can carry all your burdens. I would have failed if I didn't."

    My Guru ji says that you must be careful in choosing the right Guru. Guru must be Self-realised. He must be ordained by God for being a Guru. He also says that we attract people, Guru, friends, wife, son/daughter, employer depending upon our spiritual vibrations. So, imho, it is better to do some homework first on the Spiritiual journey & then only after a certain stage go for looking for a Guru. But that is my opinion only. There are many times when you have encounter with a real Guru just by His grace ! If that is the case, why wait ??

    OM
    Namaste Devotee Ji,

    That's very well said. In my humble opinion, anyone who wants to have a guru, have to equip themselves with the right knowledge and they are free to test the guru in order to ascertain this is what they are looking for.

    I have seen, many good people with blind faith towards certain people. It only brings more misery and nowhere near the goal of this birth.

    I know many people have been blessed with a guru here, but do have compassion on people who do not have any guru in this life. We can't just take things for granted when dealing with life-changing matter like finding a guru.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    Vanakkam:

    Devotee: That is an inspiring story, and you do speak wise words.

    kshama: I think I misinterpreted or jumped to conclusions as to your purpose. I apologise for that. I agree with what Devotee said. Indeed you should take a hard look. But if you find one that doesn't suit your needs or your personality, that does not mean that Guru may not be the right one for others. I do not wish to name any, but as you and I know, there are many controversial teachers out there, and I have witnessed too many arguments between the faithful and the ones who feel duped. So best wishes in your search.

    Aum Namasivaya

  9. #9
    Join Date
    August 2009
    Location
    -
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    @ Eastern Mind Ji,

    Thank you for the feedback. That's ok, no need to apologize. I am glad you see what I am trying to convey. Namaste.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    67
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    215

    Re: Fake gurus and organizations.

    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

    Namast

     
    "Rely on the teachings to evaluate a guru:
    Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism."
    His Holiness the Dalai Lama

    praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •