Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 - A New Year to Improve

2010 - A New Year to Improve

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

We are coming to a new year. It seems it would be good to ask our existing HDF readers where we can improve. Many of us post frequently; understanding what is valued and what is not is reasonable to consider.

That is,
    • In terms of topics offered i.e. subject matter, what more would an HDF reader be interested in ?
    • What posts are valuable and what is not ?
    • How to improve overall, etc. with individual posts? approach?
    We asked this question in 2007; a condensed results list is shown below , along with the original HDF post addresses that queried for input.

From March 2007, these points were considered important:
    • Reading (something) does not insure comprehension. Explain your POV.
    • Cut 'n paste is high on the list of 'unattractive' posts. There is little value to a cut 'n paste from another site that does not add definition, conclusions and points of reason one is to be considering.
    • Quality is king - Many see HDF other then a message board. Some great ideas and insights are available to you. So you may consider how one adds value to the conversation, a POV, etc.
    • Please Define your terms - if Sanskrit is offered, or Latin, or other language, provide the English rendition, and maybe root words of its origin, this is for learning purposes.
    • Respect, humble, & openness to others and their ideas... a 'no spanking policy'. Recognize good work. We will do this via compliments, and applause. The intent:- catch people doing something right and acknowledge their good work. Make corrections to thinking, but not at the expense of ones good nature or mental health.
    The posts below outline the initial thinking if there is interest to see the audit trail.
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1142
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...48&postcount=1

Please add your comments as you see fit.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 26 December 2009 at 02:05 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: 2010 - A New Year to Improve

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namast

Idea 1
    I thought to offer the 1st suggestion. I have found the long posts with multiple subjects are just too difficult to follow. If one could consider breaking up the posts into groups of ideas that would help with comprehension.
    That is, sometimes it feels like I am drinking out of a fire hose with the amount of information offered at one time.

What would I do differently? If I had a long post, take an idea or 2, for post 1. Then add additional ideas for posts 2,3, etc. This allows the reader to comment and comprehend the subject matter in series.
    Inform the reader that there will be multiple post to follow...

For me, this would be beneficial - I then can follow the conversation a bit better, comment where it adds value, and when I go back to re-read a post, I can quickly scan the post in question for ideas and/or comments I wish to make.

Idea 2 ( which is no new idea )
    Define your terms. We must note not all of our esteemed HDF members read saṃskṛt ( or Hindi, or Tamil, or ...). If you use a word, give its definition. This allows us to comprehend and to learn.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaskar Yajvan Ji and all,

Though relatively I am a new member compared to many of you here, I'd like to channel few things that could be taken into consideration.

1) Decorum. Always maintain decorum of the forum. Whether Hinduism endorses universality or not, a good trait in Hinduism is to tolerate. No name calling amongst ourselves, as these varnas we are in, are not solely decided by birth. All things are impermanent in this world. Respect people, especially new converts to Hinduism and people of other faiths.

2) Partiality. There are many nasty things overlooked without an admin note. This is not healthy. In praise or censure everyone should be treated the same. I see a trait, where, some senior members do not even respond when there's blatant breach of decorum, Though it's your wish to respond or not, but one must remember, without anyone highlighting the mistakes, no one would learn.

3) More participation. We ourselves are our guru, though not literally. So much of things happening in life makes us wiser, by the progress of age, we have learnt to discern well, by our travels we came to know few more things, by reading and observing we become more knowledgeable. So, whenever you see a post or a thread that you can respond to, do post your replies. There are some threads and post in threads ( I looked in the archives) that are so good and thought-provoking. It's sad it's left uncommented.

Namaste.
    Last edited by kshama; 26 December 2009 at 09:46 PM.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namast

Quote Originally Posted by kshama View Post
    Namaskar Yajvan Ji and all,

Though relatively I am a new member compared to many of you here, I'd like to channel few things that could be taken into consideration.
    Good input - I hope others share their ideas.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste Yajvan ji,

My suggestion is only one which somewhat echoes first issue indicated by Kshama in the earlier post :

Let's respect even the contradictory views without becoming personal. In some of the threads, I felt that some members felt happy by cornering one/two member(s). Attacks after attacks ... attacks after attacks ... (Fight in the name of Allah ?) ...... !! Most of the times, Satay does an excellent job by putting a full stop to these senseless attacks abruptly !

I don't know ... it may sometimes give a sense of "victory" to some ... but it is not worth the time we invest here.

I agree that we are all humans & are prone to err. However, we can always make efforts to develop healthier traits ... there is no harm in that.

That said, it is time, I ask all my friends here on this forum to forgive me if they have any time felt hurt by any of my posts. Though I am careful but again I still am human.

Quality-wise, I find, it is, perhaps, the best forum on Hindu Dharma on the internet.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namast devotee,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    I agree that we are all humans & are prone to err. However, we can always make efforts to develop healthier traits ... there is no harm in that.
    Well said.

So, for feedback we have content suggestions and conduct suggestions.

Content - how the material and subject matter is presented and offered.
    Conduct - how we view and respond to others.

I have another idea. As we have new members join HDF, I would have them consider a 'suggested reading list' of say 10 posts. These 10 (+/-) would be selected to offer a ~sample~ of ideas that are found here at HDF.

The 10 or so posts would give the reader a flavor on what is discussed, how it is presented, the content offer, etc. - A simple introduction.

Once the 10 are read, then the person can begin to post. Consider it an 'orientation', a 'get acquainted' period.
    What should it offer:
    • Samples of a good post - well written, easy to read, etc.
    • Posts that start with a salutation, a hello to others to set the stage of friendly approach ( or professional approach).
    • Posts that generate ideas and additional comments/reply's.
    • etc.
    The intent is simple - the posts would represent a sample of what is considered valuable here on HDF.

And perhaps the orientation would assist them with how to search for subjects, how to quote from another post, etc. A functional use of the tools. This I would think would be something satya could create? I do not know.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

namaste Yajvan and others.

HDF has as of this moment, over 33,700 posts. Searching them precisely is a problem since the search result throws up a considerably large list which is difficult and time-consuming to wade through.

• I understand that there can't be a perfect, overall index that can match every need. We already have an Archive arranged in the hierarchy form->subforum->threads->posts. In addition, perhaps we can have an Archive list on the model of the Advaita Forum at http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/ with the facility to browse along the lines of thread, subject, author and date and possibly a download option. They don't have a search feature in this archive, which if possible, we might have.

• Another feature we can finetune is perhaps the 'Reputation Points', which currently indicates the popularity index of a member by virtue of the overall contents of his/her posts. This index is in no way indicative of the scholarship of a member. I feel a member should have a scholarship index that could indicate the extent of expression of his/her knowledge and scholarship. We might perhaps have a discussion about the way to design this index.

• Some forums have a list of 'best posts'. What do our members think about having such a list that can serve as a valuable reference?

• Since we discuss so much of our scriptures with quotes, I would desire the quotes to be presented in Unicode Sanskrit as well as transliteration as much as possible, so the posters and members can have an idea of the original text looks like and learn some Sanskrit thereby.

• Possibly we might have a Sanskrit-learning forum--not formal learning but one by interaction about key words, phrases, conversational and writing tips and so on.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaskar,

Thanks Yajan for starting this excellent topic.

I am wondering if anyone here is bothered by the google ads on HDF?
    satay

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté saidevo,
    some excellent ideas... I hope satay reviews your post and tells us what is possible what is not . Here are the things I found intriguing from your list:
    • a better search approach, perhaps from a meta-file?
    • a 'best of HDF posts' - I have a few ideas on how this can occur, but will wait for others to voice their POV.
    • Reputation points... yes I see your POV here and it makes sense. I recall the request to turn it off completely ( for those that cared to) with no remnants remaining. I think satay informed us that it would not be possible; but that said ...
    • scholarship points is interesting. May I offer a slightly different view? Maybe called vada वद - speaking well.
      This infers insight, knowledge, etc. and IMHO would be a bit more inclusive for those with innate wisdom, but perhaps not one with a scholarship orientation? Just a thought.
    • A saskt learning forum - I think this would be rewarding ( at least for me); I think just a basic approach for the proper sound for each vowel and consonant would be valuable as a start. We have some of sarabhanga's work, and can stand on that if we wish, then take it further.
    Other ideas I would like your/others comment and view on is the following:
    • A mentor program - for those that wish extra guidance on some of the subject matter offered on HDF.
    • A guest speaker invitation from other sites that some of us would go and pursue - to bring to HDF for a special topic to discuss. There would be no obligation for this person to remain a HDF member; the intent is new views by invitation. Offer a subject or the invitees area of expertise to comment on, then HDF members can comment ( under good behavior methods as one would invite a guest over to your home)
    I have a few more, but let me stop here... I think the two above require a healthy critique. A key concen is not the initial investment of time, but one of maintenence. How the programs stay fresh and valuable for HDF to 'consume' with interest.

praām

words
    vada वद - speaking well vs. vāda meaning dispute , contest , quarrel argument discussion in controversy or contest
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namast

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

from saidevo's list
    • a better search approach, perhaps from a meta-file?
    • a 'best of HDF posts' - I have a few ideas on how this can occur, but will wait for others to voice their POV.
    • Reputation points... yes I see your POV here and it makes sense. I recall the request to turn it off completely ( for those that cared to) with no remnants remaining. I think satay informed us that it would not be possible; but that said ...
    • scholarship points is interesting. May I offer a slightly different view? Maybe called vada वद - speaking well.
      This infers insight, knowledge, etc. and IMHO would be a bit more inclusive for those with innate wisdom, but perhaps not one with a scholarship orientation? Just a thought.
    • A saskt learning forum - I think this would be rewarding ( at least for me); I think just a basic approach for the proper sound for each vowel and consonant would be valuable as a start. We have some of sarabhanga's work, and can stand on that if we wish, then take it further.
    Other ideas I would like your/others comment and view on is the following:
    • A mentor program - for those that wish extra guidance on some of the subject matter offered on HDF.
    • A guest speaker invitation from other sites that some of us would go and pursue - to bring to HDF for a special topic to discuss. There would be no obligation for this person to remain a HDF member; the intent is new views by invitation. Offer a subject or the invitees area of expertise to comment on, then HDF members can comment ( under good behavior methods as one would invite a guest over to your home)
    I have a few more, but let me stop here... I think the two above require a healthy critique. A key concen is not the initial investment of time, but one of maintenence. How the programs stay fresh and valuable for HDF to 'consume' with interest.
    More info, ideas and opinions are encouraged.

praām

words
    vada वद - speaking well vs. vāda meaning dispute , contest , quarrel argument discussion in controversy or contest
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information