Thread: Ganga Purana

Question Ganga Purana

Is there a Purana devoted to Ganga Devi?

Re: Ganga Purana

Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 06 July 2013 at 04:45 AM. Reason: deleted
    Hari On!

praNAm

If we consider the 18 mahA (major) purAN and all the remaining upa-purAN, I would say no.
    However,
    1. you will find the story of Ganga devi in great detail in Bramha-vaivarta purAN
    2. a lot of glorification of Ganga, and Her story (as BhAgeerathi GangA brought to earth on request og Bhageerath Muni) in Shrimad BhAgvat MahApurAN
    3. I have seen GangA-mahAtmya which you will just love. Not sure where it is from but I can possibly post a link.

When I find more time, shall see if I can quote "all about GangA from Bhagvat. The most direct is Bramha-vaivarta purAN.

_/\_

Jai Gange BhAgeerathi Hara Gange BhAgeerathi
    Jai GangA YamunA GodAvari NarmadA Sindhu KAveri
    om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Jai Gange
    Haribol~

Let us make this a Ganga Thread

Here is a wonderful compilation on Ganga from Bh. Gita, BhAgvat and other places in shAstra (scripture)

http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/ganga.htm

_/\_

SB 10.1.16
    The Ganges, emanating from the toe of Lord Visnu, purifies the three worlds, the upper, middle and lower planetary systems. Similarly, when one asks questions about the pastimes and characteristics of Lord Vasudeva, Krsna, three varieties of men are purified: the speaker or preacher, he who inquires, and the people in general who listen.

Pictures: Ugam (source) of the Original Celestial GangA:
    http://kunjeshwari.com/sweetblog/wp-...lotusfeet1.jpg

http://www.krishnaonline.org/wp-cont...2/img_0779.JPG

SB 12.13.16
    nimna-gānāḿ yathā gańgā
    devānām acyuto yathā
    vaiṣṇavānāḿ yathā śambhuḥ
    purāṇānām idam tathā
    Just as the Ganga is the greatest of all rivers, Lord Acyuta the supreme among deities and Lord Sambhu the greatest of Vaisnavas, so Srimad-Bhagavatam is the greatest of all Puranas

See also SB 1.18.21

"There are three objects that are sacred to Visnu - the Ganga, the tulasi (basil) bush and dust from the feet of a devotee of Visnu" - MArkanDeya PurAN

Gopala sahasra nama 54
    [Lord Gopala is] the personified Ganga and Yamuna (ganga-ca-yamuna-rupa)

Sri Radha-sahasra-nama 129,130
    [Sri Radha] is the Ganges (ganga, ganga-jalamayi, gangerita).

Sri Bala Krsna sahasra nama, phala sruti
    10 In Kali-yuga the boy Krsna is the Deity. In Kali-yuga the Ganga is the river. In Kali-yuga there is no other, no other, no other way.
    15 In Kali-yuga the Ganga is the giver of liberation. In Kali-yuga the Gita is the supreme song. The Vedic sacrifices are not to be performed. In Kali-yuga only the chanting of Lord Hari's holy name gives liberation. There is no other way.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 07 July 2013 at 05:07 AM.

There`s one Purana dedicated straight to the Ganga Davi. that`s Brahma Purana. 3th part of Brahma Purana narrates the descent of Ganga and the 4th part of this Purana is called Gautami Mahatmya and it`s about glory of Gautami Ganga (Ganga Devi). I read this one, very nice description.

Thread Information