Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving things up?

Re: Giving things up?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: You are probably correct. I actually don't know much of his teachings for disinterest. I do remember he was born into a Jain family, and his brand of sannyasins were termed neo-sannyasin for some reason by somebody.

Aum Namasivaya
    He belnds a lot of new ageism into his books, uyses really well-spaced font, to many images, and reading it.. your mind twists.

anyways, yeah, not such a great author.

It's Odd that you should bring up Osho.. I met a guy on Yahoo who is a follower of Osho.. We've been chatting.. He was telling me that my "Kind" don't accept his path.. That we are in complete disagreement with Oshos teachings.. Is this true? I did a little reading on it and all I could find were some interesting meditation practices that were outside the norm.. Like spinning around in a circle.. and dancing.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté Tirisilex,

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    Do I need to give certain things up to be a follower of Advaita? For example I like to play Roleplaying Games.. Do I need to give this up?
    What do we really own ? We think we own something because we have a receipt for its purchase.

The maitreya upaniṣad offers us another POV.
    This is 'I' and 'That is mine' one binds himself with himself , as does a bird with a snare."

'Giving up ' is the notion of becoming unstuck . The saskt word is asaga¹. In a word it is to become unfastened. One can easily make the connection of this idea of becoming 'unfastened' to obligations, friends, community, etc. and pursue one's intent in a remote place.
    While this notion is typically ~assigned~ to one āśrama ('halting place') in life, the āśrama of the sannyās, it has a deeper significance. How so?

This asaga has much to do with becoming unfastened to what you are not. And what is that? The body. Our true SELF is not the body. More on this if there is interest.

praṇām

words

asaga = a + saga = a or not + saga 'coming together' ( also written saga that is rooted in sañj to be attached or fastened , adhere , cling , stick )
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

He was telling me that my "Kind" don't accept his path..
    Trisilex: I don't know, but somehow I find this funny, as it was the term used in racism, and homophobia and ethnic bashing ... eons ago. The guy who runs 'Sarlo's Guru rating service' or whatever its called is also from Osho's 'kind'. So Osho gets five stars out of five, and the next closest is 2 or so. That's also quite funny. "I'm right. You're wrong. If you don't like it, go jump in the Ganges or something. I'll stick to my midnight twirling meditations under the moonlit night of Nirvana induced euphoria." But humour is good for the soul.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté Tirisilex,

What do we really own ? We think we own something because we have a receipt for its purchase.

The maitreya upaniṣad offers us another POV.
    This is 'I' and 'That is mine' one binds himself with himself , as does a bird with a snare."

'Giving up ' is the notion of becoming unstuck . The saskt word is asaga¹. In a word it is to become unfastened. One can easily make the connection of this idea of becoming 'unfastened' to obligations, friends, community, etc. and pursue one's intent in a remote place.
    While this notion is typically ~assigned~ to one āśrama ('halting place') in life, the āśrama of the sannyās, it has a deeper significance. How so?

This asaga has much to do with becoming unfastened to what you are not. And what is that? The body. Our true SELF is not the body. More on this if there is interest.

praṇām

words

asaga = a + saga = a or not + saga 'coming together' ( also written saga that is rooted in sañj to be attached or fastened , adhere , cling , stick )
    This reminds me of when I would ride my bike out in the woods until I got to a place I could not ride anymore.. I decided to leave my bike behind.. "What if someone comes by and decides to steal the bike?" I thought to myself "So what? it is only an object."

However.. Objects are quite helpful for things.. Cant do much stuff without them.
    Yes please continue..

Namaste,

Rather than thinking about what to give up, why no simply put on one's daily to-do list time to do nothing?

I know how hard that is to do ... which is why I say to actually schedule the time that's timeless

Practice makes perfect!

(Put the car in park and turn off the engine, do not open the door for 5 minutes, to start?)

XOXO,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namast Tirisilex,

However.. Objects are quite helpful for things.. Cant do much stuff without them. Yes please continue..
    Yes, objects ( things) are very helpful. There has been the thought that things/objects are 'bad' in some way , they are not. They are bundles of consciousness, vibrations, energy, śakti. Yet the wisdom is here:

In the chāndogya upaniṣad, Sanatkumāra is instructing Nārada and says, nālpe sukham asti or finite (alpa) things do not (na) contain happiness (suka).
    Finite things come-and-go. Objects, our bodies, our thoughts, homes, cars, etc. all come and go. What does not come-and-go? The SELF ( brahman). To be possessed of the SELF one then associates with the Infinite vs. the finite.

This compliments the notion of 'giving up'. One is giving up limitations for the Unlimited.

We can continue , and , must ponder what then is really giving up and who are you giving up to?

praṇām

1. chāndogya upaniṣad - Chapter 7.23.1
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

In the chāndogya upaniṣad, Sanatkumāra is instructing Nārada and says, nālpe sukham asti or finite (alpa) things do not (na) contain happiness (suka).
    Finite things come-and-go. Objects, our bodies, our thoughts, homes, cars, etc. all come and go. What does not come-and-go? The SELF ( brahman). To be possessed of the SELF one then associates with the Infinite vs. the finite.

This compliments the notion of 'giving up'. One is giving up limitations for the Unlimited.

We can continue , and , must ponder what then is really giving up and who are you giving up to?
    PraNAm

Following is what I penned down a few years ago, on this topic.
    Just thought of sharing this here, but please continue with the discussion.

=====================

Om Govindaya Namaha

I read in a book by Swami Chinmayanada , that the word "namah" at the end of each Vedic sentence really originated from years of modification of
    "Na Mama" which means "not mine".

The sages would offer oblations (rice, ghee) into the sacrificial fire [yajna] saying - "Lord, this that I offer to you is actually not mine." - Na Mama.

This gives us insight into our own prayers of surrender, our personal yajna [sacrifice].

~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~

O my Lord, nothing is mine , everything is Yours.

You are my Knowledge and my Wealth [Tvam eva vidya , dravinam Tvam eva].
    You are my Everything [Tvam eva sarvam mama Deva Deva]

You created me , didn't You ? I am just Your instrument. So please order me and i shall do as You say.

Here , take this. My mind, intelligence , whatever that is, is all really Yours. You gave it all to me.

All my supposed abilities and strengths are Your opulences. Here, take them.

All worldly things You have given me belong to You. So please accept them.

What am i doing ? "Giving" everything back to You ? It was never mine in the first place !

Not a blade of grass can move without Your Will.

This that i am scribbling is also really fuelled by Your Mercy.

BUT THIS IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE BIGGEST TREASURE :
    Its Your infinite GRACE and kindness that YOU MAKE MY HOME AND HEART YOUR ABODE, and YOUR ABODE AND HEART MY HOME.

He HrishikeshA GovindA MAdhavA MadhusudanA ,
    i do not know how to be
    Therefore i surrender myself unto Thee.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

The abandonment of the illusory universe by realizing it as the all-conscious Atman is the real renunciation honored by the great, since it is of the nature of immediate liberation.
    -shankaracharya.

so the main aim should be to seek knowledge and understandig.when one gets suffecient knowledge and when it reflects in our mind,renunciation will be natural.its not like stop listening 2 ur fav. music because u've 2 give up things.just keep on discovering ur self wit an open mind.its best 2 be ur self and do what u want 2 do,and parallely go deep into the forest of knowledge as if its your hobby or somethin like that.
    Sarva DharmAAn Parityajya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

Quote Originally Posted by amith vikram View Post
    The abandonment of the illusory universe by realizing it as the all-conscious Atman is the real renunciation honored by the great, since it is of the nature of immediate liberation.
    -shankaracharya.
    But one must ask, what is the illusion? The universe is real, I touch, smell, feel things, it registers in my awareness. We say that awareness is real, consciousness is real, and is the core fabric of this universe. But are we saying then what awareness perceives is not correct? There must be more to the story , no?

One answer is the viewpoint of what advaita vedānta offers. Are their other valid POV's ? - of this there is no doubt. Ādi Śakara-ji's notion of illusion is you are looking at a world, a universe and you are not seeing the total picture - therefore it is alluding you as to what is real, full, complete.
    It is as if you are looking at a picture and fail to see outside of the picture . As if reality only lies within in the borders of the picture and nothing exists outside that frame of reference - that would be the illusion.
    That your awareness is stuck within the frame of the picture and you cannot see beyond this frame. That frame is the boundry of life and we take that to be all that there is.

So, what is the illusion then? That the Universe is made of multiplicity and every-thing is individual things. This view say the wise is 'ignorance of the truth' . What is the truth then ? Advaita; advaita means a=not + dvaita = duality , duplicity , dualism . More about this has been disucussed here:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...8415#post38415

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information