Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: myths and facts about advaita

Re: myths and facts about advaita

Dear Krsna Das,

Your intentions are more than clear in your questions. Shall I remind you that it is Advaita Section ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Krsna Das View Post
    Hare Krsna !

Dandavat Pranamas to everyone !

I have two questions about advaita philosophy:

First Question:
    Do the advait-vadis beleive that all the names and forms (material names and forms of Jivas (Jada-Deha) as well as spiritual names and forms of Supreme Person (Cinmaya-Vapu) ) are nothing but illusion?

Second Question:
    In Padma purana, Lord Siva says that this philosophy is actually budhism only, but kind of hidden (pracchannah baudham ucyate). By the order of Supreme Lord, I incarnate in the form of a brahmin to propagate this false philosophy. What is the interpretation of advaita-vadis for the following verse:

mayavadam asac-chastram pracchannah baudham ucyate
    mayaiva kalpitam devi kalau brahmana-rupina

Hare Krsna !
    advaita expounds that,god alone is truth,god alone is ever present and the jivas have no definition without god.
    advaita expounds that,without god,not a grass can be moved.all that exists is god,in god,god,god,god.
    it is all about god and nil about 'i'.
    only the god can see and what does it see?
    god again.
    advaita expounds that man can chant and praise god only by the grace of god.
    are u different from god?then god is surely not omnipresent.
    advaita suggests a mumukshu to devote himself 2 any god,hari-hara.
    but let me ask u,what is the reason that non-advaitins show such devotion 2 god for?
    whatever u answer,advaita fearlessly states,renounce that.
    Sarva DharmAAn Parityajya

Hare Krsna !

Dandavat Pranamas to everyone !

I have two questions about advaita philosophy:

First Question:
    Do the advait-vadis beleive that all the names and forms (material names and forms of Jivas (Jada-Deha) as well as spiritual names and forms of Supreme Person (Cinmaya-Vapu) ) are nothing but illusion?

Second Question:
    In Padma purana, Lord Siva says that this philosophy is actually budhism only, but kind of hidden (pracchannah baudham ucyate). By the order of Supreme Lord, I incarnate in the form of a brahmin to propagate this false philosophy. What is the interpretation of advaita-vadis for the following verse:

Hare Krsna !
    Namaste Krsna Das
    1) As an Advaitin my answer is no, they are not illusions. Understanding superimpostion helps to reveal true nature of being.

2) Please can you provide a link to an English translation? I am very sorry but I have only just started to study Sanskrit.

about padma purana,i ve never read anythin like that..

Amit Prabhu and Snip Prabhu, Dandavat Pranamas to both of you !

Amit Prabhu, I am unable to understand your message in the sense that how does it give direct and clear answers to both of my questions. Can you pl explain clearly.

Snip Prabhu, the verses and there meanings are as follows:

O Goddess, in the age of Kali I shall descend in the form of a brahmana to spread this Mayavada philosophy which is actually covered Buddhism. (Padma Purana)

svagamaih kalpitais tvam ca janan mad-vimukhan kuru
    mam ca gopaya yena syat srstir esottarottara

Make the general public averse to Me (Krsna) by some imaginary hypothesis from you. Also camouflage me, so that the public will be deluded gradually by desire for material advancement. (Padma Purana)

Also, in the Varaha Purana Lord Visnu instructs Siva saying:

esa moham srjamy asu yo janan mohayisyati
    tvam ca rudra maha-baho moha-sastrani karaya

O mighty-armed Siva, please write books filled with lies, and thus bewilder the people.

atathyani vitathyani darsayasva maha-bhuja
    prakasam kuru catmanam aprakasam ca mam kuru

O mighty-armed one, please preach a collection of lies. Place yourself in the forefront, and conceal Me.

One more thing, This doctrine of Mayavada is so harmful to the jiva that Mahaprabhu Himself has warned us by saying, "Mayavada bhasya sunile haya sarva nasa." -- "One who hears the commentaries of the Mayavadis, will ruin his spiritual life."

Amit Prabhu, I am unable to understand your message in the sense that how does it give direct and clear answers to both of my questions. Can you pl explain clearly.

O Goddess, in the age of Kali I shall descend in the form of a brahmana to spread this Mayavada philosophy which is actually covered Buddhism. (Padma Purana)

Make the general public averse to Me (Krsna) by some imaginary hypothesis from you. Also camouflage me, so that the public will be deluded gradually by desire for material advancement. (Padma Purana)

O mighty-armed Siva, please write books filled with lies, and thus bewilder the people.

O mighty-armed one, please preach a collection of lies. Place yourself in the forefront, and conceal Me.
    please sir,
    krishna das,
    i appeal 2 your concience,how and why would neelakhanta,the one who consumed poison for the sake of the world,poison the same?
    he who is so powerful,that his dance alone scatters the asuras,
    why would he spread the ignorance among mere men?
    who and what authority does he have,who classify advaitins as ateists?
    what have the advaitins like swami vivekananda done the devotional souls of bharatha varsha?

this apart,in a direct sentence,no,hari hara or any dieties are not illusions.lets forget the words illusion/maya etc...
    i can explain the purport of advaita without these words...

One more thing, This doctrine of Mayavada is so harmful to the jiva that Mahaprabhu Himself has warned us by saying, "Mayavada bhasya sunile haya sarva nasa." -- "One who hears the commentaries of the Mayavadis, will ruin his spiritual life."
    Thank you Krsna Das
    This is new to me so a few questions arise, perhaps you can kindly direct me to some answers?

How is this associated with Advaita? Is it from Sri Sankaracharya's use of Maya? I see that Mayavada is the key word here, however I have read that this is not the name Sankaracharya used, so I wonder where the connection is?

Logically, if it was the will of Vishnu to bring in teachings which conceal the truth with the use of His Maya, then surely that has a benefit for Vishnu (Sri Krishna) which cannot be evil? So what is that benefit, is that benefit dervied from understanding this Mayavada and seeing through that teaching? If so is that which lies on the other side of the Mayavada could be Truth i.e. Vishnu Himself? In other words, the Lord has created this for some goodness or else the Lord has acted from evil?

If this is about Maya and it's role in Advaita, is this something we can take up here to help answer your initial quesitons?

Namaste Amit and Snip,

I think Satay should stop this.

The Padma Purana talks about Buddhism ! That clearly shows that it must have been written or doctored after Buddha. And it can't be upto the time of Sankara as no one was able to defeat Sankara in Shaastraartha. This brand of Bhakti-yoga (which refuted Upanishads & Advaita) came only nearly after 1500 AD (as I remember) & these doctored Puranas must have appeared during that period.

If these Puranas are to be believed then All Upanishads and Bhaagwad Gita get refuted. Then the Chaitanya Mahaapranhu's Bheda-Abheda theory will get reduced to only Bheda-Bheda (Duality alone).

People who are deluded by doctored Puranas & have never read Upanishads or even understood Bhaagwad Gita, claim to know everything !

OM
    Last edited by satay; 15 January 2010 at 09:15 AM.
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Amit and Snip,

I think Satay should stop this. Krsna Das just wants to spread hatred here.

The Padma Purana talks about Buddhism ! That clearly shows that it must have been written or doctored after Buddha. And it can't be upto the time of Sankara as no one was able to defeat Sankara in Shaastraartha. This brand of Bhakti-yoga (which refuted Upanishads & Advaita) came only nearly after 1500 AD (as I remember) & these doctored Puranas must have appeared during that period.

If these Puranas are to be believed then All Upanishads and Bhaagwad Gita get refuted. Then the Chaitanya Mahaapranhu's Bheda-Abheda theory will get reduced to only Bheda-Bheda (Duality alone).

People who are deluded by doctored Puranas & have never read Upanishads or even understood Bhaagwad Gita, claim to know everything !

OM
    Namaste devoteeji,
    i understand your concerns.but let people express whatever they feel.we should always be ready to answer all the questions,if they desire 2 know the truth.
    the anti-advaita voice is heard more often these days,the reasons we all know why.the so called bhakta shiromanis need the world market as their followers,who call themselves the messengers of that charmer and spread hatred among all.
    however,only the truth shines like the sun.so in my opinion,arguments are welcome,sir.

My response to Amit Prabhu and Snip Prabhu:

Many thanks for your reply !

Although, as of now I have not received any answers to my questions. But I see that you have asked some questions about the above mentioned verses. Let me explain this per my own understanding of vedic litereature, in accordance with the Gaudiya Vaisnava tradition:

Lord Visnu instructed Lord Siva to preach a philosophy that conflicts the vedic principles. It sounds like a vaedic philosophy, but is actually hidden from of Budhist-Sidhanta.

Lord Visnu instructed Lord Siva to preach this philosophy because at that point of time, in India, people used to perform devotional service to Lord Visnu only for material motives and not for attaining Sudha-ekantiaka-prema-mayi-bhakti, devoid of desire for material gains and desire for Moksa (Liberation). In order to delude such people, and also to protect the swaroop of such Suddha-bhakti (avyabhicarini-bhakti), Lord Visnu ordered Lord Siva to spread this philosophy, because it is possible only for the pure-unalloyed devotees of Supreme Personality of GodHead to preserve the mood (bhava) of Sudha-Bhakti, not the persons having material motives or desire for liberation (meaning desire for 4 purusarthas).

This answer is according to vaisnava school of thought. I just wanted to know that what is the response of advaita-vadis for these verses.

I have not received any satisfactory answers as of now, but anyways thanks agian for your efforts to enlighten me.

Thread Information