Thread: When is it time for a Guru?

When is it time for a Guru?

Namaste -

The progress that I feel I'm making Spiritually leaves me thirsting for more. I've done much of my learning through books and through this forum but feel it's time to take on more. When is one ready to seek the advice of a Guru? I've seen from some posts that a Guru is not necessary or that one may use other means to fulfill such, but my hunger for knowledge leaves me wanting. The priest at my Temple doesn't speak English so what he's been able to show me is limited. I've also seen it written that when it's time for a Guru to be in your life that the Guru will appear. Additional thoughts on this? Thank-you for your guidance.

Om Namah Shivaya

Cool Re: When is it time for a Guru?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Smith

When is one ready to seek the advice of a Guru? I've seen from some posts that a Guru is not necessary or that one may use other means to fulfill such, but my hunger for knowledge leaves me wanting.
    In Sanatana Dharma, unless you an exceptionally gifted individual, a wise Guru is absolutely required.

And yes, the Guru will always appear at the appropriate juncture, only you must be ready to recognize him/her (and this is where many seekers fail).

You should continue to attend your chosen Mandir, and offer devotion to your chosen Deity ~ and perhaps you could try to learn a little of some Indian language.

And in order to correctly perform Puja, Japa, Kirtan, etc., you will of course need at least some understanding of Sanskrit.

Continue your preparations for the journey and, when you are confident, set out with devotion on a Yatra (pilgrimage) to your desired Tirtha (spiritual crossing-point or salvational site), and along the way you are sure to encounter your own true Guru.

Regarding Pilgrimage, see: Tirtha Yatra

Re: When is it time for a Guru?

Namaste all.

The guru who has attained Self Realization can alone help the aspirant in acquiring it. Siva Sutras 2.6. YS, 102

One should worship his guru by daily performing full prostrations to him. By worship, one attains steadiness and ultimately realizes one's own true nature.Guru Gita 97. GG, 37

At the root of dhyana is the form of the guru. At the root of puja are the feet of the guru. At the root of mantra is the word of the guru, and at the root of all liberation is the grace of the guru.Kularnava Tantra 8.1. KT, 77

Let him approach him properly, with mind and senses tranquil and peaceful. Then will this master disclose the essence of the knowledge of Brahman whereby may be known the imperishable Real, the Person.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.13. ve, 415

Be always in service of the guru, ever in his presence, giving up desire and anger, humble and devoted, lauding in spirit, upright in doing his work.Kularnava Tantra

Regards,
    Orlando.

Namaste all.

The initiation for the attainment of liberation can only be obtained from the guru. Without the help of the guru, no penance could ever be helpful in producing the desired result. The guru teaches the pupil. The guru becomes the object of glory for the disciple and enhances the pupil's dignity. Hence the disciple must have immense regard for the guru. The guru is Siva Himself, and Siva is called the guru. Whether guru or Siva, both have been accepted as vidya. Chandrajnana Saiva Agama, Kriyapada, 2.7

Regards,
    Orlando.

This bring up the point , what about the first guru? That person did not have a teacher guru so if that person became a guru then anyone can. There must be a way to promote yourself, unless brahman is bias against self improvment.

Post Re: When is it time for a Guru?

India is a vast continent with an ancient history, including an enormous range of cultures and traditions; and it is difficult to find any strict definition of a single faith that unites all of this under one name of “Hinduism”.

It has long been understood that a Hindu is “one who communes with the Rishis”, and all Brahmanas are supposed to have a direct connexion (spiritual and/or genetic) back to one of the ancient Rishis. The Brahmanas and their Rishis dwell together in a figurative Gotra or “Cow Pen”, of which there are about 50; and each of these lineages returns ultimately to one of the Sapta Rishi or “Seven Sages”. Most southern Indians claim descent from an eighth Rishi (i.e. Agastya).

Other castes have their own ancient clan-leaders, saints, and heroes, from whom their various lineages are assumed to have sprung; but when it comes to spiritual and ritual matters, the non-Brahmana Hindu in practice adopts the Gotra of his/her Guru or the officiating Brahmana.

Of course, it is theoretically possible for a non-Indian to “commune” with the Rishis through independent reading of the Vedas and their innumerable commentaries; although most Indians would not claim to have truly grasped the meanings hidden in the ancient Sanskrit text of the Vedas (Revelations of the Rishis) without the aid of a Guru or learned Brahmana.

Just as all sacred texts and philosophies must be connected with and in conformity with (in some arguable way) the original revealed texts of Hinduism (i.e. the Vedas) and the teachings of the original 7 or 8 Rishis in order to be considered Sanatana Dharma or Hindu, it is a traditional understanding that all individuals claiming to be Hindu also admit their intimate association with one of the Hindu Gotras, either through their parents, through their priest, or through their Guru.

Christianity without Christ would merely be mythology and morals, and so too Hinduism without Rishis is a free-for-all grab-bag of myths, morals, and methods.

All Brahmanas know that a Guru is required; and most non-Brahmana Indian Hindus recognize that a Guru is necessary; and I would strongly suggest that for all non-Indian “Hindus” some introduction to one of the Gotras, either through marriage, a Brahmana priest, or a Guru, is absolutely vital.

It should be noted that (by this definition) it is not possible for a self-enlightened (i.e. enlightened without a Guru) non-Indian to truly be Hindu ~ no matter how many Hindu texts they may have read and digested, no matter how exquisite their knowledge of Sanskrit may be, no matter that they may have adopted every nuance of the perfect Hindu Guru in attitude and attire. Hinduism does not deny that these individuals might be “enlightened”, but their “Hindu-like” doctrines and methods do not, by themselves, make them Hindu.

If Hinduism is a religion at all (and not just a collection of oriental philosophies), then its foundation is surely the Rishis, and those vedic sages are only accessible via their Gotras.

In true Hinduism, the blessings of a Guru are fundamental.

• Mother is Shakti, and the authority of Shaktism derives through Her.
    • Father is Vishnu, and the authority of Vaishnavism derives through Him.
    • Guru is Shiva, and the authority of Shaivism derives through Him.
    • God is Brahman, and the authority of Brahmanism derives through It.
    • And It is only fully known through the Vedas.

I understand that the ancient tradition was:

• Mother is Guru from Birth to 5 years;
    • Father is Guru for the next 3 years, until one reaches 8 years;
    • Teacher is Guru for the next 12 years, until one graduates as Arya, at 20 years (ready for service to the community and for marriage).
    • God is ultimate Guru forever, although only fully and finally realized in Sannyasa, after family responsibilities have been completed or renounced.

The word closest to Guru in English is Grave, as in Gravity, the inviolable and unerring force that draws all in towards the heart of all matters.

The Guru is truly Heavy.

Equally near to Guru in English is Groove, the true path marked by the Guru’s passing.

So the Guru is also Groovy.

And that creative and transformative Groove is a guarantee of Growth ~ such Growth as will in time be a sacred Grove.

The true jewels of Sanatana Dharma were revealed to us by the Rishis, and their gift is the Vedas; and, by definition, a Hindu follows the Vedas. But most are unable to penetrate the obscure Sanskrit of these ancient texts.

And that is why Gurus are so important!

The first humans to qualify as Guru were the Rishis ~ the inspired authors of the Vedas.
    And their inspiration came directly from their own Guru ~ the Adinatha ~ the Bhagavana ~ Sadashiva.

The wisdom of the Rishis is certified by long tradition; and recognition of the supreme authority of their Revelations (Vedas) is what makes one (by definition) a Hindu.

The first task of every Truth Seeker is to find a true Guide.
    The only task of every true Guru is to preserve and propagate the true Dharma.

Perhaps subsequent lives may be required for the Seeker to find the object of his true desire.
    For the true Guru, however, the Truth is well known, and Moksha is assured in this life-time.

If one is seeking gold, would it not be reasonable to first seek instruction from a qualified geologist or an already successful prospector?

In Satya Yuga, there was gold freely available; but now is clearly not that golden age when every incarnation was a veritable Guru.

In Kali Yuga, the search is more arduous, but all the more pressing!

Thread Information