Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: LORd SIVA : A Gaudiya Vaisnava Perspective

Re: LORd SIVA : A Gaudiya Vaisnava Perspective

..instead, in spite of promoting Advait, he told his disciples they were fools and needed to worship Govinda. Maybe that is why he is "not dear to Krishna", lol.

Indeed, the famous bhaja govindam of Shankaracharya, also see the following verse from the prabodha sudhakara of Shankaracharya. Shankaracharya has written the Saundarya Lahari, Ananda Lahari, Shivananda Lahari and the Prabodha Sudhakara which some people call the Krishnananda Lahari. These texts are more mature works of Shankaracharya, he wrote them in his later years.

काम्योपासनयार्थयन्त्यनुदिनं किंचित्फलं सेप्सितं
    किंचित्स्वर्गमथापवर्गमपरैर्योगादियज्ञादिभिः।
    अस्माकं यदुनन्दनाङ्घ्रियुगलध्यानावधानार्थिनां
    किं लोकेन दमेन किं नृपतिना स्वर्गापवर्गैश्च किम्*॥ २५०॥

kāmyopāsanayārthayantyanudinaṁ kiṁcitphalaṁ sepsitaṁ
    kiṁcitsvargamathāpavargamaparairyogādiyajñādibhiḥ |
    asmākaṁ yadunandanāṅghriyugaladhyānāvadhānārthināṁ
    kiṁ lokena damena kiṁ nṛpatinā svargāpavargaiśca kim || 250||

"Those who waste their time for the attainment of
    celestial joys or liberation (mukti- apavarga) are FOOLS!
    I do NOT want any of that! I only desire to remain engrossed
    in the sweet remembrance of the lotus feet of Lord Krishna.
    What is the need for pleasures of this world or heaven or
    Mukti to exalted Prema bhaktas of the Lord?"
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 30 December 2010 at 04:06 AM.

Another gem of Shankara's is sung every Ratha-Yatra day....

http://nitaaiveda.com/Compiled_and_I...athastakam.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post

Indeed, the famous bhaja govindam of Shankaracharya, also see the following verse from the prabodha sudhakara of Shankaracharya. Shankaracharya has written the Saundarya Lahari, Ananda Lahari, Shivananda Lahari and the Prabodha Sudhakara which some people call the Krishnananda Lahari. These texts are more mature works of Shankaracharya, he wrote them in his later years.

काम्योपासनयार्थयन्त्यनुदिनं किंचित्फलं सेप्सितं
    किंचित्स्वर्गमथापवर्गमपरैर्योगादियज्ञादिभिः।
    अस्माकं यदुनन्दनाङ्घ्रियुगलध्यानावधानार्थिनां
    किं लोकेन दमेन किं नृपतिना स्वर्गापवर्गैश्च किम्*॥ २५०॥

kāmyopāsanayārthayantyanudinaṁ kiṁcitphalaṁ sepsitaṁ
    kiṁcitsvargamathāpavargamaparairyogādiyajñādibhiḥ |
    asmākaṁ yadunandanāṅghriyugaladhyānāvadhānārthināṁ
    kiṁ lokena damena kiṁ nṛpatinā svargāpavargaiśca kim || 250||

"Those who waste their time for the attainment of
    celestial joys or liberation (mukti- apavarga) are FOOLS!
    I do NOT want any of that! I only desire to remain engrossed
    in the sweet remembrance of the lotus feet of Lord Krishna.
    What is the need for pleasures of this world or heaven or
    Mukti to exalted Prema bhaktas of the Lord?"
    Namaste and a Happy New Year!

Its not correct to say Shri Adi Shankara's work on Krishna is "more mature" as done in later years. So giving a color of less maturity to his divine praises towards all other deities. This stance can be that of Vaishnavas, but is a biased one. Adi Shankara was as mature in his worship and words he was when realizing his Saundarya Lahiri, Anand Lahiri or various strotras be it Kanakdhara strotra or Kaal Bhairav strotra.

Its a state of mind of a sadhak how deeply he goes into the worshipping bhakti aspect at a given time. By tagging it more mature when he's worshipping Krishna is not correct. Its almost like saying When I love my mother I'm more mature than when I'm love my father.
    Regards,

Yogkriya

I am sorry for the confusion. You did not understand me, I said these texts are more mature in plurar, so I meant all the text I summed up, not just the prabodha sudhakara (krishnananda lahari), but also the Saundarya lahari, Shivananda Lahari etc. I was comparing it with the brahma sutra bhashya which he wrote when he was twelve years or so which is also a great classic work, but these various laharis are filled with ecstatic joy of bhakti.

Shivananda Lahari
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64wc3rndnY

Saundarya Lahari
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj8NM7Rwxs
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 01 January 2011 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I am sorry for the confusion. You did not understand me, I said these texts are more mature in plurar, so I meant all the text I summed up, not just the prabodha sudhakara (krishnananda lahari), but also the Saundarya lahari, Shivananda Lahari etc. I was comparing it with the brahma sutra bhashya which he wrote when he was twelve years or so which is also a great classic work, but these various laharis are filled with ecstatic joy of bhakti.

Shivananda Lahari
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64wc3rndnY

Saundarya Lahari
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj8NM7Rwxs
    Namaste!
    Yes I guess I didn't get it quite clear, but thanks for the clarification.
    Best wishes in the new year!!
    Jai Shri Krishn! Namah Shivaya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1976 View Post
    ..instead, in spite of promoting Advait, he told his disciples they were fools and needed to worship Govinda. Maybe that is why he is "not dear to Krishna", lol.
    You have quite the cheek to insult such an important personality in Sanatana Dharma as ShankarAchAryA don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    You have quite the cheek to insult such an important personality in Sanatana Dharma as ShankarAchAryA don't you think?
    Namaskar.

I'd like to put my two cents in..
    Even bhakti or any sadhna gives rise to ahankar.
    The ahankar of HK camp is evident with such careless words saying that Shri Shankaracharya is not dear to Shri Krishn. How do they know?
    Shankaracharya the embodiment of siddhis, bhakti and vedanta is not dear to God? Anybody who does sadhna to get one siddhi knows without the grace of Guru and God, its not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1976 View Post
    Another gem of Shankara's is sung every Ratha-Yatra day....

http://nitaaiveda.com/Compiled_and_I...athastakam.htm
    ... and then I wonder on the double standards of the HK. Dear Rasa, IF you are a hare Krsna devotee (belonging to the Gaudiya sub sampradaya/Iskcon) how can you accept Shri Adi Shankara's words as gems when you have already canceled him and his vendanta explanations as false knowledge?? Agreeing to Srila Prabhupad and Gaudiya lineage in the wake of a 16th century Vaishnava treatise - "Brahma Samhita" - Shiva came as Shankaracharya to spread "false" knowledge to delude the people of Kaliyuga.
    Yet I wonder how HK accept when Shri Shankaracharya chants about Krsna or Vishnu, but readily reject when he hails Shiva or other deities. This is selective biased acceptance. Similarly, when Shri Krishna himself talks about Lord Shiva, it is ignored. Shri Prabhupad did not translate the Mahabharat Anushasan parva part where Lord Krsna describes Lord Shiva. So we accept even Lord Krishna selectively in line with the lineage narrowed down philosophy line. This restricts spiritual vision. This is typical of sampradayas. But not of the vast Vedic culture. Not of Shri Krishna, not of Shri Shankaracharya. That is why Shri Shankara can chant the holy names of Lord Vishnu with similar bhakti and love as much as he chants and sings the glory of Lord Shiva or gives the powerful Kanakdhara strotra chanting with such power that rain of gold comes flowing down. This is Shankara. This Vedic culture. This is Sanatana Hindu Dharma.

My post about this is aimed towards the Hare Krsna stance on Shri Adi Shankaracharya, not specifically to Rasa. Though as he sweetly mentions the said works to be gems brought to light by Shri Shankara.
    Namaskar.

Yogkriya
    Last edited by Yogkriya; 06 January 2011 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krsna Das View Post

Q: Is Sada Siva non different and simultaneously different from Visnu -tattva?
    A: Sada-Siva is Visnu-Tattva and not different from him.

Q: Why does Lord Visnu manifest as Sada-Siva?
    A: To propagate the glories of Naam-prabhu and Visnu-Bhakti through Hari-Katha mentioned in various scriptures like Ramayana and Puranas etc. Devi partvati questions Lord Sada-Siva and he answers, through which the propagation of Sanatana Dharma takes place.

Q: Where is Lord Sada-Siva's abode?
    A: It is above the tatastha-region (marginal region) within the adhyatmika-akasa but below the vaikuntha lokas. It is non destructable.

Q: Who attains his abode?
    A: The bhaktas who develop strong faith in Siva after hearing the pasttimes of Hari from him attain this abode. They constantly hear Hari-Katha and also serve Lord Visnu (in form of sada-Siva) there.

Q: Who is Rudra-Siva then?
    A: He is Visnu-Tattva, but with an adulterating principle (mAyik-vikAr) of three potencies - tamo-guNa of mAya-Sakti, swalpata-guNa of tatastha- Sakti, Cit+Samvit guNa of Cit-Sakti. So he is not pure visnu-tattva. His position is described as that of different as well as similar to Visnu-tattva, but he also not "pure-jiva-tattva" but also not "swamsa-tattva" because he accepts the swalpata-guNa of tatastha-Sakti. He is like a Lord who is in ddirect contact with mAya, though mAya cannot touch the Lord. In this way, the position of Rudra-Siva is unthinkable (avicintya).

Q: Where is the abode of Rudra-Siva?
    A: Within the material sky, and his abode is temporary.

Q: Who goes to the abode of Rudra-Siva?
    A: Those who worship Siva with faith as an independent form of God may go there, and attain the sanga of highest-vaisnava and then understand sidhhanta clearly. They are then either elevated to higher planates, or come back to this planet where they carry on their bhajana.

Q: Who propagates the cheating and Asurik philosophies like mAyAvAd?
    A: Lord Rudra-Siva appears in the form of Sankracarya in Kali-Yuga to propagate this philosophy to athiests and Asuras in the form of Brahmins (Kalim Ashritya jayante rAkshasAh brahma yonisu - padma purana - Rakshsas are born as human beings and brahmins in kali yuga)

Q: Why does Lord accepts the position of Rudra-Siva?
    A: For the cause of pralaya (annihilating the universe) and preaching false-philosophies to RakshasAs. He is adhiSthAtri-deva of tamo-guNa.

Q: Who is Sambhu?
    A: Sambhu is not really a personal form of God. He is just a principle or a prototype that is menifested during the beginning of creation as "Sambhu-Linga" (the male masculine emblem of virAt-puruSa) - though not literally in that sense. It is just the "means" by which the Supreme Lord - Pratham puruSa accepts the indirect contact with mAya-sakti).

Q: "Vaisvana-nam yatha Sambhu" referes to whome?
    A: Rudra-Siva because Sada-Siva is non-different from Visnu-Tattva.

Q: Is it correct that a jiva who fulfilsl ALL the duties of varnAsrama-dharma for 1000 life times, attain the position of Siva?
    A: Yes, this is the verdict of bhAgwatam and it is a principle essentially followed by Gaudiya Vaisnava Sampradaya, as it is.

Q:How is this possible, because Sada Siva is Visnu tattva and Rudra Siva is adlterated principle of Vinsu-Tattva?
    A: Such Jiwas attain the position of one of the ekadash-rudraa, whoch are the empowered incarnations of the Lord. Their position is again temporary, and their abodes are in material world only.

Please let me know in ISKCON scale how much percentage(%) Sada-shiva, Rudra, Rudra-Siva, Sambhu etc are....

This is hilarious
    SarveSha cAdhiKAro vidYAYA ca shreyah:
    kevalaYA vidYAYA veti siddhah.

It has been established that everyone has the right to the knowledge of Brahman and the Supreme Goal is attained by that Knowledge alone.
    Adi Shankara in Taittiriya Upanishad, Bhasya 2.2.

Quote Originally Posted by anatman View Post
    Please let me know in ISKCON scale how much percentage(%) Sada-shiva, Rudra, Rudra-Siva, Sambhu etc are....

This is hilarious

very true !!! The Tiru AnnaaMalai Hill stands as an everlasting evidence as to who Shri Sadaa Shivaa is , why He manifested as a hill !!!!!!!!!!!!
    " In the fifty letters reside the Vedas,
    In the fifty letters reside the Aagamaas,
    When one comprehends all the fifty,
    What remains are the letters Holy Five !! "

- Tiru Mantram 965,

by Tiru Moolar

Quote Originally Posted by anatman View Post

This is hilarious
    It's one thing to disagree with ISKCON's views that you consider offensive and it's another to turn philosophical disagreements which are bound to exist between philosophical schools into mocking material.

You may be under maya (according to your status) but at least act like you're not for politeness sake.

Otherwise you're just fighting what you consider tamasic with more tamas... I'm not sure I can agree with that.

Om Tat Sat

Thread Information