Thread: Animals and Sadhana

Animals and Sadhana

Vannakkam: I'm wondering if anyone else has this experience. We have two cats. Mostly they just ignore me. However, they are particularly likely to come around during sadhana, japa etc. Because of a birth in my family, (new granddaughter) I started doing japa and scriptural study outside the shrine room. As soon as I'd start japa, within the first few beads of the mala, one cat would get all buzzy and purry, come along chase the beads, 'plow' my hand etc. It seems whatever calm vibration I was conjuring up was like catnip to this cat. After a few days of trying hard to concentrate with this gong on, I moved to a room that had a door. Still she sat outside purring. The other cat often sits outside the shrine room door as well, and if they can they'll dash in when I open it.

I'm just curious if other people who happen to have pets have similar experiences. If, so I wonder what is the reason?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Animals and Sadhana

My cat also does this, she likes the area upstairs.

Namaste EM,

While I've never had such an experience personally with our pets at home, I have no doubt in my mind that animals, being more in tune with the natural world than humans are, have greater sensitivity towards the psychic forces and subtle, ethereal energy. Perhaps your cats can feel strongly the vibrations you create during japa. I wouldn't be surprised either that they hang around outside the shrine room for the same reason. It's almost like animals, with what scientists might deem a "primitive brain", have this sixth sense or mental power to compensate for the cognitive abilities humans developed for survival.

To contrast your rather amusing experience, when we first got our dog we used to bring her for walks to the park, and there was a short-cut we used to take that passes right through the village. I'll never forget that whenever we passed by the butcher's shop she used to always freeze up (her hair would literally stand on end), and she'd start to pull on the lead in distress to move along quickly. It only happened whenever we passed by that very spot outside the butchers. I wouldn't have expected that from a meat-eating animal; clearly she could sense something other than just the smell and sight of meat (which she'd normally show interest in) which frightened her. Needless to say we used another route to the park after that.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

My cat used to love to sit in my lap and enjoy my meditations with me.

(She had a bad stroke and had to be put down, poor dear.)

Breathing in unison with a cat's purring is a beautiful thing!

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Namaste Eastern Mind,

Animals have those special abilities to sense things in our environment that we mere mortals can only dream about – especially cats; who also love to be the centre of attention, if they are in the mood that is. Now, during sadhana and specially japa, when we are totally immersed (hopefully) and in the spiritual plane, your cat would be the first to know it and make a beeline for you and say look at me! look at me ! Come back and acknowledge my presence !
    What is the most amazing thing in the world? That at every moment we are surrounded by evidence of death and yet we behave as if we will live forever! - Mahabharata

Thread Information